Multiple opponents - more than two players?

This has been discussed before, but I didn't find any new news in my searches.

What was the latest news on being able to play CM:BB with more than two people? For example, a network match were two people each control half of the German forces and two other people each control half of the Soviets?

Toad, hi,

Yup, Steve did say that there will be no multi-play in CMBB. Just one player V one player.

However, my money is on multi-play coming along in some future game. It would help to make command and control more realistic, and spotting. You only see what your own few units can see, not what every unit on our side can see.

All the best,

Kip.

You'll have to wait until the engine rewrite. I'm guessing that multi-multiplayer may need some aspects of relative spotting and other command and control features in order to give a much better feel for the separation of command.

Now whether CMII (the engine rewrite) appears as CM3, CM4 or the return to NWE (CMBO II) is highly speculative.

In CMBB, it will probably be possible to do the same team vs. team PBEM play as you can do now in CMBO. But it doesn't look like team vs. team TCP/IP will work any more than it does now.

In case you don't know how to do team vs. team PBEM, it works like this:

1. Each team divides up its units between its players.

2. Each orders turn, the 1st member of a team to get the file inputs his orders to his units and then saves the game as if he were taking a break in a solo game vs. the AI (ALT-S on the PC). This saves the game in regular saved game format.

3. 1st player then emails this file to the 2nd member of his team. 2nd player opens the game like it was a saved solo game.

3. Repeat 1-2 for all other team members except the last.

4. Last member of the team opens the file as before, but hits the GO button to saves the game as a regular PBEM file, and sends it to a member of the opposing team.

Bullethead,

4. Last member of the team opens the file as before, but hits the GO button to saves the game as a regular PBEM file, and sends it to a member of the opposing team.
Of course I guess it is understood that the file is opened as an email game, by the last player on the team, so it can now be sent as an email txt game instead of cmb saved game.

lee

True multiplayer would be an incredible, unbelievable enhancement. It would be great fun and would add in teamwork, natural relative spotting, true C&C, and Fog of War.

I hope this is #1 on the engine rewrite.

-marc s

No such plans for Combat Mission for the forseeable future.

However, Tacops, a fine game also distributed by battlefront.com will soon come in release 4, which includes multiplayer, with fog of war between players etc. It is a modern game and its scale is slightly higher than CMBO and it is 2D - but still a fine WEGO tanks-through-vegetables game. It has a demo (for 3.x) on battlefront.com.

Sorry for the off-topic post. but for CMBO you only hope are umpire-driven campaign games.