Things my kids do with CM

It'll probably raise the hair MadMatt's back, but, you wouldn't believe what my 7 year old uses CM for. He's played the game but what he really likes is the editor. Now, he doesn't make battle maps at all. What he does make:

1. amusement parks. tracks trucks hills, voila, a roller coaster. water, boats, it's a water ride! He's created the most elaborate wwii amusement parks in the entire world.

2. They also like to make "neighborhoods" and have their friends visit each other.

Odd, but very cool. The next BTS game should be "build your world".

- marc

When I first got CMBO my very first map attempt was a great circular A-bomb crater a quarter mile wide, surrounded by burning rivers, city streets lined with nothing but building foundations. The scenario was a fight to recover the second A-Bomb from the wreckage of a B-29. In the intro I said the 'Nuclear Winter' snow that was falling tended to burn the soldiers' skin.

It was REALLY creepy!

Originally posted by MikeyD:

When I first got CMBO my very first map attempt was a great circular A-bomb crater a quarter mile wide, surrounded by burning rivers, city streets lined with nothing but building foundations. The scenario was a fight to recover the second A-Bomb from the wreckage of a B-29. In the intro I said the 'Nuclear Winter' snow that was falling tended to burn the soldiers' skin.

It was REALLY creepy!

Burning rivers?

Thw first scenario I made was a daring night raid on a german airfield by allied troops. The allies had two MG jeeps and a crack engineer platoon mounted in halftracks and a jeep. The german defenses consisted of a platoon of security forces and 4 quad 20mm AA guns. You'd think that the germans would DESTROY the allies, but on several tests, the allies succeeded. I would send the MG jeeps up and down the length of the pavement runways at fast speed, and they would take out the AA crews as they roared by. . .VERY entertaining.

By IronChef4:

You'd think that the germans would DESTROY the allies, but on several tests, the allies succeeded. I would send the MG jeeps up and down the length of the pavement runways at fast speed, and they would take out the AA crews as they roared by. . .VERY entertaining.

Sounds like "The Rat Patrol" to me :D

Well, my then 5 (now 6) year old would build terrain (usually flat) with lots of burning buildings and fields. He would then set up a gazillion pillbox-88's (his favorite) and hordes of other units opposed by (often) a couple of trucks.

I was amazed at how much time he was willing to spend drawing the map, and then positioning his units for what would be a 1 turn game...

I will note that having lots of burning terrain, did make the display a bit sluggish.

You guys would love the Operation Flashpoint editor! Only recently I tried:

- Sea Battle: your speedboat against three enemy ones.

- Air to Sea: AH1 against a fleet of six speedboats ... do not hang around too long! And no gamey TOWs, of course!

- Invasion: Your .50 cal against incoming speedboats!

I made a map of my old neighborhood (Adams Morgan) in Washington, DC, using a topo map as guidance. While I have not used it yet for a scenario, one idea I had was for one called "Saturday Night Parking." Each side would get one jeep/kubelwagen and the idea was to get to the flag (the only open parking space) first.

When I was 11 or 12, my brother and I used to light our plastic model ships and planes on fire (don't try this one at home, kids). Now that was way cool.

Being a more mature 55 now, I contented myself on my first map (Belgian city of Ghent) with placing, in the forest across from one of the rivers flanking the town, a circle of track with small buildings all around labeled "King's Choo-choo," since there was a king of Belgum. I figured he could use it as the Royale Modele Trainse for his amusement. Despite my thoughtfullness, he never showed in any of our battles. Go figure.

--Max