What Should Be in the Patch?

Originally posted by Hans:

2nd item. When you click on a Platoon leader you get the squads to ID. But when you double click on the company commander you get nothing. I recommend that the Platoon leaders should be ID. The same for the Battalion commander, ie double click on him and his company commanders would be ID

I don't have CMBB, but I think the system is the same as in CMBO:

in CMBO, only PLs were specific to their subordinate units.

Co. and Bn. leaders were generic and could exercise C&C over *any* infantry squad, in other words there were no special companies or battalions to which the company or battalion leaders belonged.

hence, since a company or battalion HQ unit is a leadership unit to all squads on the map, the thing you are asking for is not possibly (= *all* units would be subordinate and highlighted with a double-click).

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, here are my humble demurs:

1- Normal Fog isn't sufficiently opaque. Visibility extends out to 750m. It's merely decorative. If there's one thing this game, with its increased defensive lethality, doesn't need it's LESS cover.

2- Airpower exhibits ESP in always seeking out the most valuable assets on the map. The target's experience level seems to be factored in. Attacks, IMO, should be random, or more based on the target's silhouette rating. I admit this is an impression based on skimpy observation and a few test scenarios runs.

3- MGs should not be able to fire out of Standing Wheat unless at the very edge. Think about it.

4- Flat Map variation is too flat. Tree coverage needs to be increased for each level. Trenches look like acne scars and the stones bridges lack mass, they appear to be paper cutouts. Modmakers?

And a fantasy, 'wait for the rewrite', request:

5- Radio hits/breakdowns for AFVs. It's realistic!

[ October 16, 2002, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: PeterX ]

Originally posted by Lt Bull:

I got to say that I too have experienced this peculiar behaviour in CMBB as well. eg. An infantry platoon with 3 squads abreast with the HQ several meters behind them hiding in foxholes in woods. Enemy infantry approach and it is the HQ unit (the most distant unit) that decides to break cover and open fire! As Bone_Vulture described, all enemy fire is then targetted at the spotted HQ, it breaks leaving the rest of the platoon leaderless. This was not a case of conscript or green HQ units either.

This has happened frequently enough for me to have taken notice.

Lt Bull

Yes, that's exactly how it occurs. Thanks for backing me up, Lt Bull! smile.gif

Please fix this bug in the patch! :(

I am sure all of these things have already been said but I want WOMEN - Female Russian soldiers with female faces and pair shaped bodies. I want my Russian MGs to be dragged behind on wheels not carried on a tripod. Where are the NKVD? When a round goes through a small turret such as on an AC, I want the commander to hurt a bit. I want it to be as historical as possible. But most of all I want my crappy Euro version to have the same files and graphics as everbody else! smile.gif

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lt Bull:

I got to say that I too have experienced this peculiar behaviour in CMBB as well. eg. An infantry platoon with 3 squads abreast with the HQ several meters behind them hiding in foxholes in woods. Enemy infantry approach and it is the HQ unit (the most distant unit) that decides to break cover and open fire! As Bone_Vulture described, all enemy fire is then targetted at the spotted HQ, it breaks leaving the rest of the platoon leaderless. This was not a case of conscript or green HQ units either.

This has happened frequently enough for me to have taken notice.

Lt Bull

Yes, that's exactly how it occurs. Thanks for backing me up, Lt Bull! smile.gif

Please fix this bug in the patch! :( </font>

I think that a command "Stay on road/path" would be extremely usefull for Tank Commands.It would (assuming there was a road)speed up plotting units around bends,and prevent bunching if one vehicle strayed onto the verge. This would circumvent the AI`s inability to allow vehicles to steer round slower vehicles. Also a patch to allow a column to proceed along a road at the speed of the slowest allowing the spacing between vehicles to remain constant-obviously untill the enemy intervenes.

P.S. Had the game a week now and think it`s tremendous. Well done,all that hard work is really appreciated.

ok i have only one request

A time limit for 2 player hotseat games

then my mate might not take 10 mins thinking

what to do and bore me stupid

please please please if possible

i know you can sit there with a watch and say

"right thats it it's my turn"

all i ever get is

"just a minute i only have 1 platoon to move"

when really he has not moved anything

I know that this isn't going to happen but I feel the need to mention it anyway. :D I would like to be able to issue shoot-n-scoot orders to any vehicle, sometimes a pause in the right place will make things so much easier. (This sounds like it would either be simple to do or darned near impossible depending on the code)

The other nifty thing would be for "Move-to-contact" to pay attention to a cover-arc if one had been assigned. That would make it a "move until you see something in front of you (or to one side etc.) and closer than X meters" type of order. OK, so that isn't going to happen, so sue me! tongue.gif

Originally posted by PeterX:

Snip

3- MGs should not be able to fire out of Standing Wheat unless at the very edge. Think about it.

Ok, I thought about it.

I disagree.

The gunner might not be able to see, 'cos he's prone (LMG) or sitting (HMG), but who sez his #2 or detachment commander has to be sitting/prone?

Think about it.

Regards

JonS

Originally posted by PeterX:

1- Normal Fog isn't sufficiently opaque. Visibility extends out to 750m. It's merely decorative. If there's one thing this game, with its increased defensive lethality, doesn't need it's LESS cover.

!

Fog can never provide cover only concealment.

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

JonS,

Won't the tall, thick wheat at close range completely screw up the flight of the bullets?

Not enough to justify recoding the game so you couldn't do it at all.

FWIW, the Canadians (and others I assume, but my info is on the Canucks) were puzzled for a while by these weird straight lines they kept finding in the standing crops that were a prominent feature of their area around Caen. Puzzled, that is, until someone figured out that they were being caused by the Germans MG fire.

So, it could be done in Normandy in the summer of 1944. Methinks it could be done elsewhere too. I find it hard to believe that Soviet crops were so much more über than French crops that they could stop bullets ;)

Regards

JonS

[ October 16, 2002, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

I recall reading somewhere that the Germans liked to setup MGs 6 inches off the ground and sweep back and forth across nice flat fields. This could make the standard MG response of duck and cover very troublesome. But this would have been area fire, rather than direct LOS targeting.

Hopeful new models:

1) Schwimmwagen (W/ MG?)

2) Motorcycle with Sidecar

3) Kettenkrad

4) Panther Ausf. F w/ 88 mm (late war "what if" battles), and/or IR Panther.

5) On-board large caliber Russian artillery (to represent over-run 152mm guns, etc).

Wish list models:

1) T-35

2) Horse teams and/or Cavalry horses

3) Pz Beob Wg III or Panther

(Although I do understand the modeling issues with horses and multi-turret vehicles).

Hopeful commands/interface:

1) Ability of spotters to call for fire while in halftrack or Kubelwagen, etc (still hoping for Pz Beob Wg as well).

2) Follow vehicle command for other vehicles (for convoys or long movements with multiple way points).

Wish list, or for the future:

1) Armor Company/Battlegroup Commanders (or anyway of representing an armor leader above a platoon leader...Wittmann...Bake, etc).

2) Formation commands for armor platoons, with the ability to plot multiple way-points when issuing a movement order to an entire platoon.

I'm sure BF knows which models need updating over the CMBO 3D models, so I will not waste time listing what models I noticed, however I do hope that the new camo patterns will go as well together as the previous ones (the tint/shade/tone being the same despite the pattern being different). I am looking forward to the new BMPs/modeling for the SiG 33B, Hummel, JPz IV, T-44, etc, etc.

I would like to see the SiG 33 auf Pz 38(t) Ausf H (mid suspension gun mount) over the Ausf K (rear gun mount similar to Marder)...although both models would be nice.

I would like to add that I feel CMBB is a tremendous achievement, and the hard work that has gone into it so far is unbelievable: the variety of uniforms and vehicles surpassed my expectations. I'm very satisfied with V1.0, and will patiently wait for the patch: which I'm sure will be of the same high quality.

BTW, is "the new Wild Bill" still around? Perhaps BF will take his cue and incorporate lust into the patch.....

Originally posted by redwolf:

try turning them face away from the enemy smile.gif

Does that happenw hen a cover arc is given, too?

Like I said earlier, I never had these problems in the original Combat Mission. I think it's stupid that I have to issue covering arcs and micromanage the HQ team's facing every time I set up an ambush just because of poor troop AI.

I'd be happy if the HQ team would "lead" the ambush, simulating a signal given to the rest of the platoon to start firing. But the current situation where the HQ teams alone go suicidal is just pathetic.

[ October 17, 2002, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: Bone_Vulture ]

The OLD "Tab/1" perspective. The new "commander's view" no matter HOW much tinkering and/or angling one does cannot replicate it.

Having spent several hundred hours playing CMBO,

I find myself STILL struggling to achieve the level of excitement with CMBB that I did with its predecessor regardless of the myriad of enhancements made to the game.

Regards, Oddball

One thing that seriously needs fixing or improving is the ability to easily see\manipulate passengers on halftracks and possibly trucks.

I was playing the excellent 'Hill 621' tonite and there were some 251's with two HMG34's in them. It becomes almost impossible to select these units since they position themselves off in the rear corners of the halftrack. You almost have to be positioned directly above the halftrack looking down into it to see or select them.

I'd like to see a visual indicator when the halftrack is selected indicating that it's carrying passengers and what the passengers are. Some means of selecting the passengers should also be available when the halftrack has been selected; maybe a drop down list box or something? Please consider it...

ianc

Originally posted by ianc:

One thing that seriously needs fixing or improving is the ability to easily see\manipulate passengers on halftracks and possibly trucks.

True. This is another thing that has turned problematic since CM:BO. A bigger "hit box" for choosing the riding units would be nice.

Not sure if this already implemented in game, but troops should be able to shelter behind vehicles/AFV's from small arms fire, ie the classic infantry grape behind advancing armour, used by both sides..maybe you could alter the 'follow' command, so that if you select one of your own AFV's the squad will walk in behind it, but if you select enemy one, the command works as before.

This would be very realistic and aid in assaulting infantry positions.

oh, another thing, when starting an operation or even assault scenario, when selecting your turn 1 prep bombardment, should'nt there be an 'estimated front line' position marker to give you a rough idea where to drop your shells.

It seems absurd that an FO/recon team wouldn't have spied out the approx enemy positions prior to the assault.

I just started the 'Blitzkrieg' op as Germans and i get a vast empty landscape to try and predict where to drop my so-called prep bombardment.

Some kind of clue as to enemy dispositions would be more realistic, without pointing out individual positions.