Working PBEM Helper now available

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

How does it help?

It keeps track of your PBEM files, whether you should play or send them. And it sends them, and when you receive files from your opponent, it puts them into correct folder. And it can automatically start the received game, automatically enter the file name and password, you just have to play.

Becaue you're a...oh....you don't want an answer after all!! smile.gif

It's a wonderful bit of kit - there's jsut one thing I'd like to see in v1.3 - the ability to delete an entire game - how about it Fuerte??!! ;)

I am finally getting PBEM Helper to run on my system. I believe the biggest problem so far has been operator failure but am not certain at this point. Something I noticed is it would sure be nice to be able to right-click to delete a file in the PBEM window. If I finally have it figured out I am going to be exceedingly pleased with its use!

I belive that I posted a fixed version here:

http://www.nic.fi/~fuerte/pbemexe.zip

This is just an update, you need the full install first. Then you just extract this over the old version. This has the correct CMBB executable name, and the automatic sending of file name and password should work better. I noticed yesterday that it still fails in some cases... I got an error "Script takes longer to execute than expected, Abort/Continue". I'll see what I can do with this. PBEM Helper uses a VBScript file CMBB.VBS to send the file name and password.

You can delete a game by first going to Edit F2, there is a Delete button.

Originally posted by Earl:

OBTW, I had to modify the cmbb.ini file to read

EXE=Barbarossa to Berlin.exe

vice

EXE=COMBATMISSION2.exe

Difference between BFC and CDV versions perhaps.

Oh, now I see... can you confirm what is your .exe name? The latest PBEM Helper version has "CombatMission2.exe". The demo was "Barbarossa to Berlin Demo.exe", that's why I put "Barbaross to Berlin.exe" to CMBB.INI before I actually had the product.

Good work as always Fuerte!

Been using your PBEM Helper for a very long time with excellent results, but I'm still on version 1.1.193 for CMBO! Guess it's time to update to the CMBB version...

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

logo.gif

[ September 02, 2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

Oh, now I see... can you confirm what is your .exe name? The latest PBEM Helper version has "CombatMission2.exe". The demo was "Barbarossa to Berlin Demo.exe", that's why I put "Barbaross to Berlin.exe" to CMBB.INI before I actually had the product.
This is just an update, you need the full install first. Then you just extract this over the old version.
Fuerte,

I had not put in your update. My .exe file is "Barbaross to Berlin.exe". I'll put in the update and pay attention to what happens.

OBTW, bump. :D

Fuerte, I could not get it to work. At first it would not find CMBO or CMBB. I had to manually enable them (and I had to change the .exe too). After that, I keep getting an run time error, bad file name. #51 or #52, I forget which. It seems overly complicated too with all the folders it wants to create.

Anybody know where the guy who did One Click to Combat is?

I would really appreciate an update to that simple utility.

Oh no! The exe name is different in the Finnish version! :mad: I just uploaded a version that should work reliably, but the exe name is still CombatMission2.exe. Damn... I wonder if I should create two programs, CMBB and CMBBUSA or somefink. :confused:

Originally posted by Lars:

Fuerte, I could not get it to work. At first it would not find CMBO or CMBB. I had to manually enable them (and I had to change the .exe too). After that, I keep getting an run time error, bad file name. #51 or #52, I forget which. It seems overly complicated too with all the folders it wants to create.

Yes, that is the one downside with PBEM Helper. It does not automatically detect some games, you have to manually enable them, if the installation program does not put any trace into the registry. But that is just a problem with the game: It is impossible to do any automatic patch later, because the patch does not know where the program has been installed.

I could add a new feature so that it checks first the default installation location, "%program files%\Combat Mission 2" in this case. Or is it "%program files%\Barbarossa to Berlin" in the U.S. version.

I had it in its own hard drive partition. ;) No big deal to point it the right way.

But the runtime errors start after that.

P.S. I wouldn't bother with a U.S. version, it's easy enough to change the name of the .exe file. Just point it out in the readme.

I think it is another Finnish expansionist plot. Still works great (although I can't get passwords to work automatically :rolleyes: ) , just had to change a line in the cmbb.ini file.

Great utility, thanks for the hard work. smile.gif

What the hell, bump tongue.gif

although I can't get passwords to work automatically :rolleyes:

Check the SendExtra option that is mentioned in the Readme. It is the same option for both CMBO and CMBB, but with CMBB it has to be in PBEM.INI after [CMBB]. And if it still does not work, then perhaps Ctrl+Shift+P does.