What the heck???

I live in Europe and don't want the CDV version (because of the infamous "Waffengrenadiers") and i can't even order the normal version at battlefront?? :rolleyes:

Now i am forced to buy a scabby CDV version, i want the battlefront original :(:(:(

I refuse to buy that version. Besides that, i've had enough with CDV due to other things.

[ September 07, 2002, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: Gryphon ]

Originally posted by Gryphon:

I refuse to buy that version.

There has been lengthy discussions over this issue during the last few months. If you live in Europe and want the non-European version, you have to ask someone you know to order it and then send it to you. If I recall correctly there have even been people on this board who volunteered to do this.

Okay, thanks Matt for the reply, and i wasn't aware that it was discussed before. However.

That's just unfair. I've waited years (just like more people) for this game to come out and now i have to settle with something i don't even want.

And on top of that from a distributor which i don't even like. (with their "ultra-realistic" games like sudden strike)

People from the message board or something should be able to pre-order the US version.

CDV makes a hassle out of everything. They got blood in their wargames (which was/is forbidden in Germany (am not entirely up to date on that subject though)), so they can handle SS runes easily.

I know the swastika is forbidden in Germany, but since when are SS runes? Can't remember the German version of Wolfenstein removing the SS.

EDIT: Made it less dramatic

@ Agua: I added you to my ICQ list instead (of email), hope you don't mind.

[ September 07, 2002, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: Gryphon ]

So let me get this straight. Even though I live in the UK, I have to put up with a version which has been sanitised due to the requirements of the German government?

Or am I missing something? Is there a German version and a non-German-European version?

(Sorry, I know you said this was gone over before, but it must have slipped me by.)

If there's one thing which annoys me more than being censored by my own Government, it's being censored by someone elses :mad:

Originally posted by jiggles:

Or am I missing something? Is there a German version and a non-German-European version?

Not exactly. As Matt said, CDV is handling all PC sales to Western Europe. That includes the UK. If you had a Mac, you could still order direct from BFC (presumably CDV doesn't want that business). Lacking a Mac, your best bet is to contact Agua or someone else who has volunteered to obtain and send you an American version of the game.

Michael

In theory, a EU-er could buy the CDV version, and have a US-er email their exe and a few chosen bmp's. And maybe some changes in the register, don't know. That would make the CDV version in reality a US version, ie no copy protection and with SS-names/graphics. Oh maybe the scenarios should be mailed too, incase the germans have been messing with those too. This way the struggle with sending money across will be avoided.

But doing so would probably break the copyright.

I know I will buy the CDV version...

Originally posted by Gryphon:

I live in Europe and don't want the CDV version (because of the infamous "Waffengrenadiers") and i can't even order the normal version at battlefront?? :rolleyes:

Now i am forced to buy a scabby CDV version, i want the battlefront original :(:(:(

I refuse to buy that version. Besides that, i've had enough with CDV due to other things.

Please would someone tell me what will be different between the Battlefront original and the CDV version.

Many thanks.

Mike

Please would someone tell me what will be different between the Battlefront original and the CDV version.

Many thanks.

The CDV version renames the "Waffen SS" as "Waffengrenadier" and removes the SS runes, as these are Nazi iconography and illegal in Germany, where CDV is based.

And this would bother people why? :confused:

Originally posted by flamingknives:

And this would bother people why? :confused:

Some of us are old and anal. Nothing strange with that. But you are right, these are the two major differences that are known, (and I am not sure that these can be called major anyway). I have a hunch of another difference, but that is only speculation so far. Nothing detrimental anyway, I am eagerly awaiting the day I get my greasy and chubby fingers on a copy of CMBB.

M

[ September 07, 2002, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: DrAlimantado ]

Originally posted by flamingknives:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Please would someone tell me what will be different between the Battlefront original and the CDV version.

Many thanks.

The CDV version renames the "Waffen SS" as "Waffengrenadier" and removes the SS runes, as these are Nazi iconography and illegal in Germany, where CDV is based.

And this would bother people why? :confused: </font>

The European Union strikes another blow for . . . something or other.

In the previous discussions, the changes have included calling "Waffen SS" "Waffen Grenadiers", changing the unit icons in the control panel to remove the "SS" runes, and changing a few .bmp files to remove the runes.

I also seem to recall a discussion about changing a couple of scenario descriptions for the same reasons.

BFC has stated they are going with CDV as teh sole European source of CMBB for PC because CDV has done a good job with shipping CMBO (and CDV has held that account for about a year or so now).

It is simply a business decision for BFC that they feel makes very good economic sense, all things considered.

Steve

Originally posted by Glyph:

Will it be possible to develop some sort of patch that will give the european version the correct unit names and symbols?

Any symbol which is a .bmp yes.

My guess a mod for that will be out 35 minutes after CMBB arrives at a modders door.

The name waffengrenadier, I believe not, as it is hard coded, and ?probably encrypted?

[ September 07, 2002, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: 86smopuim ]

I suggest people who want to argue about this cut and paste from previous threads.

Not only will you be able to post quickly, but anyone argueing back can simply cut and paste a response from the old thread too.

Anyone saying anything new can put it in bold. It'd be worth calling extra attention to it.

If someone is "just bitching" I think the post can also be posted all in bold.... and then deleted.

there are maybe ppl who are not surfing this forum 24/7, so there is idd some kind of a news aspect many ppl reading that now.if u dont want the casual cmbb fan in here, i suggest to make this a passworded private forum, so you guys dont have to bother with ppl like us anymore.

i live in germany,and i simply dont want a "mutilated" version of one of the best computergames ever made.crappy package with pics from cmbo on it, a handbook that is translated from someone who dosnt know **** about a serious ww2 sim.the game has even a different name over here...

atm i feel sold