Is LOS always reciprocal?

whoa!?! This is freaky ... I was trying to post a reply to the reciprocal LOS thread and ended up here :confused:

Note to self: self, stop drinking before 9am!

Goddam, this is even weirder ... :confused: Anyway, it seems to be in the right place now, so for my intended LOS reply:

I would expect LOS to be reciprocal, but spotting will, in most cases, not be.

addendum: in your specific case, did the LOS-line cut the corner of a building? sometimes weird things happen around the corners of buildings.

Regards

JonS

[ November 13, 2002, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

JonS wrote:

I would expect LOS to be reciprocal, but spotting will, in most cases, not be.

Joques,

The quote above from JonS correctly summarizes a greatly complicated matter but is of no use to you unless you already understand that g.c. matter.

You might search using keyword 'spotting' on previous threads. A perfect example is the Mysterious Ostrich-Like Pillbox. A concealed enemy pillbox opens fire on you, continues tearing your guys apart for a couple of turns, then seems to stick its head in some magic sand and disappear! You cannot even trace an LOS to the generic unit marker it leaves behind! AT guns, infantry in foxholes, all kinds of nonmoving things (I know...they CAN move, but that's not how they are pulling off this magic trick) get to decloak, deliver substantial fire, then cloak again.

You think of this, quite reasonably, as an LOS issue. On this board it usually is referred to as a spotting issue. You will be amazed and astonished to discover it has many defenders! Or maybe you won't. I seem to be amazed and astonished at most everything that befalls me in this game.

-- Lt. Kije

Originally posted by Lt. Kije:

AT guns, infantry in foxholes, all kinds of nonmoving things (I know...they CAN move, but that's not how they are pulling off this magic trick) get to decloak, deliver substantial fire, then cloak again.

Kewl - so CM:STTOS is gonna be teh next title?

You'll note some units have the line "has binoculars" in their specs. That means they have better long-distance sighting capability than you. Also, I believe crack units are better than green ones. I've found an anti-tank rifle can be a real pain to locate and deal with.

Ah, I almost forgot. Command units also have a 'stealth' rating from 0 to 2. Maybe the other guy's stealthier!

[ November 13, 2002, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

You'll note some units have the line "has binoculars" in their specs. That means they have better long-distance sighting capability than you. Also, I believe crack units are better than green ones. I've found an anti-tank rifle can be a real pain to locate and deal with.

Ah, I almost forgot. Command units also have a 'stealth' rating from 0 to 2. Maybe the other guy's stealthier!

FOR sure!

its not all about LOS its about spotting!

The AT rifle team in the woods is a great example

It has clear los to the tank but the buttoned tank has no idea where the rounds are coming from so it is not "just" a matter of reciprocal LOS. As MikeyD mentioned stealth bonus and binoculars could be factors in spotting as well smile.gif

-tom w

Originally posted by Joques:

I might be imagining this, but a few games ago I could have sworn that I got fired upon my a HMG but when attempting to fire back was told that LOS was blocked.

Joques, did you really get a message that said "blocked"? If so, that is a different matter than we have been posting about. This is different from spotting.

Was there smoke from any source between the HMG and your unit when you measured LOS that was not there when the HMG fired? That's the only way that I can think of that an LOS becomes blocked between units that do not move.

Michael

AT guns, infantry in foxholes, all kinds of nonmoving things (I know...they CAN move, but that's not how they are pulling off this magic trick) get to decloak, deliver substantial fire, then cloak again.

Ha! I can beat that- I've had my tank TAKEN OUT by a *disappeared* ATGun. I can see the foxhole, I *saw* the gun, but I can't see him knock me out. Aaaargh. Klingon Kloaking Device Turkey.

Eden

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Joques, did you really get a message that said "blocked"? If so, that is a different matter than we have been posting about. This is different from spotting.

Was there smoke from any source between the HMG and your unit when you measured LOS that was not there when the HMG fired? That's the only way that I can think of that an LOS becomes blocked between units that do not move.

Michael

Michael, yes I got a "blocked" message and the LOS tool turned black. smile.gif It was not a spotting issue. I don't remember now whether there was any smoke.

Like I said, I might have missed something or been imagining things. I know for a fact that a coupla nights ago I kept waking up from nightmares about what's happening to my tanks in my pbem game of Izum Diet Plan, but that's beside the point. smile.gif

Anyway, my question remains: Given that spotting is not a factor, will LOS always be reciprocal?

Originally posted by Joques:

Anyway, my question remains: Given that spotting is not a factor, will LOS always be reciprocal?

Unless somebody comes up with a good counterargument, I'd say yes. Spotting isn't, for a variety of reasons, some already covered in this thread, but LOS is.

Michael

Unless somebody comes up with a good counterargument, I'd say yes. Spotting isn't, for a variety of reasons, some already covered in this thread, but LOS is.

Michael[/qb]

Squad has LOS to rear of pillbox, pillbox has no LOS to squad.

tongue.gif

[ November 14, 2002, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Tarqulene ]

JonS wrote:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> I would expect LOS to be reciprocal, but spotting will, in most cases, not be.

Joques,

The quote above from JonS correctly summarizes a greatly complicated matter but is of no use to you unless you already understand that g.c. matter.

You might search using keyword 'spotting' on previous threads. A perfect example is the Mysterious Ostrich-Like Pillbox. A concealed enemy pillbox opens fire on you, continues tearing your guys apart for a couple of turns, then seems to stick its head in some magic sand and disappear! You cannot even trace an LOS to the generic unit marker it leaves behind! AT guns, infantry in foxholes, all kinds of nonmoving things (I know...they CAN move, but that's not how they are pulling off this magic trick) get to decloak, deliver substantial fire, then cloak again.

You think of this, quite reasonably, as an LOS issue. On this board it usually is referred to as a spotting issue. You will be amazed and astonished to discover it has many defenders! Or maybe you won't. I seem to be amazed and astonished at most everything that befalls me in this game.

-- Lt. Kije</font>

Originally posted by Tarqulene:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Unless somebody comes up with a good counterargument, I'd say yes. Spotting isn't, for a variety of reasons, some already covered in this thread, but LOS is.

Michael

Squad has LOS to rear of pillbox, pillbox has no LOS to squad.

tongue.gif </font>

This may be due to area fire. If an HMG does not have LOS to a unit in a foxhole in the woods, but does have LOS to a spot a couple of meters in front of the foxhole, area fire from the HMG will most likely hit the unit in the foxhole, which will not have LOS to the HMG. This works in with houses and other types of cover as well.