Some ASL nostalgia for y'all...

aslstuff.jpg

Our ASL pile (that's Advanced Squad Leader for you youngsters)...weight 80 lbs, cost about US$1,000 if you count the lead miniatures and painting supplies (not shown) for Deluxe ASL. Large table and cat-proof room required to save games. Uses mechanically-agitated 6-sided cubes for randomization. Sound effects depend on mental state of players. Features the odd and time-consuming phenomenon of "rules checks," in which players compete to quickly look up arcane phrases within hundreds of pages of rules written in legalese, with the most convincing and/or pushy player winning in the interpretation.

Compared to that small disc in the foreground...see it? It looks kind of like a small, shiny vinyl LP (youngsters...look up "vinyl," "LP," and "album" in the dictionary.)Cost, $45 + S/H. Weight 1/2 ounce. 3D graphics included. Rules checks not needed. Saving games requires only disk space and a few seconds. Sound effects included, but are not as good as Jake the Yak's during game 6 of the 29-game Red Barricades campaign and after drinking much Stoli (he WAS playing the Russians after all...)

BUT SERIOUSLY...we do still get together and push the cardboard counters and lead miniatures now and then--but only with small scenarios. The convenience and speed of play in CMBO is outstanding. I doubt we'll ever attempt Reb Barricades again, it's a year-long propostition to play the whole campaign, and dedicates an entire room of the house to its completion.

Cheers to all....

Danbob

age=34

SL/ASL player since age 14, converted to CMBO one year ago today!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my God, I was at a hobby store today. The latest ASL modules are 90 dollars Canadian - no mounted maps, just paper, and a dozen scenarios. That's it. Perhaps 100 or so counters.

What on earth are they charging all the money for?

My ASL pile looks about the same, but I have the large chest of drawers from Canadian Tire to keep the pieces in. 50 drawers, a big box full of mounted maps and scenarios, and that doesn't count the lard buckets of SL pieces I never had the heart to throw out.

{Sniff} That's beautiful, man...

I still play both, but my playtime in ASL is become more limited.

You forgot to mention the time spent in counter sorting, clipping and organizing (I noticed all the Plano ;) ) as well as the setup/takedown time - where CM beats it hands down. The place where ASL definitely wins is in the face-to-face, back-slapping beer-drinking camaraderie.

danbob,

That really takes me back. Not as far as it takes you back though. I have almost the exact same pile ( I have preety well everything except deluxe ) I bought all my stuff 10 years ago, I was 15, with money I earned washing dishes on the weekends. I still have my reciepts I spent a little under $800.00 Cdn. I look back on it now and I can't believe I bought it because I grew up in a very small town and I had no one to play ASL with :confused: ! To this day I have never been able to find anyone locally to play ASL with on a regular or even semi-regular basis. My stuff carefully packed away in 2 boxes in my closet about 3 years ago with all the trays carefully taped shut to prevent the counters from getting mixed up. I don't think I could possibly bring myself to sell it. Maybe someday I will have a son or two I could teach to play. I love CMBO but the CMBO cd doesnt quite conjure up the pride of ownership that all my ASL modules do. Thanks for the trip down memory lane

Upon further reflection, I can say that CM has affected my ASL play in a profound way - I never play any more standalone western front 44-45 scenarios. It's all early war, PTO, eastern front, or campaign games.

I just started a campaign game of Pegasus Bridge, a lot of which CM can't simulate - gliders, campaign game format, water towers, starshells, captured equipment use, etc.

CM also lacks the arcane "insider" acronym usage of ASL...

"This CX HS will make a PF dr then take a PAATC..." ;)

Redeker,

I'll try the pop quiz for 20 points:

This CX HS will make a PF dr then take a PAATC

Translation:

This Counter Exhausted Half Squad will make a Panzerfaust die roll (1-6) [as opposed to DR (2-12)] then take a Pre AFV Attack Task Check.

I hope its an open topped AFV your going for ....

BTW: If you want an Excel spreadsheet that removes most of the die rolling send me an email. It covers IFT resolution and AFV's but you still need to study chapters A - G.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> BTW: If you want an Excel spreadsheet that removes most of the die rolling send me an email. It covers IFT resolution and AFV's but you still need to study chapters A - G. <hr></blockquote>

I'd like to take a look at that, if you don't mind.

Gyrene

I've observed a few games online (A very neat feature we could use in CM), but after watching the "locals" speed playing I didn't feel comfortable enough to jump in a game.

We could give it a shot, I remember very little of the rules, though.

Gyrene

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gyrene:

I've observed a few games online (A very neat feature we could use in CM), but after watching the "locals" speed playing I didn't feel comfortable enough to jump in a game.

We could give it a shot, I remember very little of the rules, though.

Gyrene<hr></blockquote>

Next weekend, if you're still interested, drop me an email. We have another weekend to wait before the CM campaign really gets going. I haven't played ASL in ages, either.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Hand drawn by Gordon Molek

What the heck???? That Molek dude is all over.... <hr></blockquote>

LOL!!!

I saw his name, but I'm so used to seeing it I just glossed it over. :D

Mike, we can try pushing a couple of squads and an HT or two around. I'll dust out my ASL rule book.

Gyrene

I have recently got into VASL. We are trying KGP1.

It's really great, no table to set up, no wifley complaints about "mess". I still use the modules as reference material. Planning for KGP is always hard work. You really need the physical maps. Even so,I thoroughly recommend it.

It is slower to play then FTF, but that can be offset by voice comms.

And yes, 'Noba' is what you think from ASL.

Noba.

You think that VASL is even slower than Face to Face?

FTF is already glacial as it is...

Btw, GibsonM's excel spreadsheet for ASL looks like it's a real time saver from what I've seen so far, very nice.

It might cut turn times from 2 hours down to only 1. ;)

Gyrene

We find it slower due to the typing required to communicate DRM's, MP's etc, for units...things that require correction are time consuming when a player moves on oblivious to something an opponent typed (slowly)... :rolleyes:

Still. A good way to play friends in far places - certainly better than not playing.

Noba.

I remember being on Usenet a decade ago and people arguing about the Kindling table and if crews could use it or if it was more fair to give them a DRM, and if Germans or Americans where better equipped with matches, and if German matches where superior than American matches (the uber match argument).

Luckily, being a computer game, those arguments are in the past.

danbob, hi,

I have a near identical collection, basically all of the games. Will not be getting rid of it, I like the thought of keeping it all, but will probably never use it again. For me, CM is, on all counts, a thousand times better. I hoped for a computer version of ASL, and CMBO does it better than I had ever thought possible.

All the best,

Kip.