Speaking of Bald Headed Megalomaniacs, Madmatt....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Firefly:

So Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland weren't allied countries?

Scottland and wales are both on the main british island, with england. N. ireland is on the northern part of Ireland.

so the map is correct ! ;)

Originally posted by Soddball:

Besides, they weren't (and aren't) countries. They were principalities.

Wearing the Mr. Picky hat, that I borrowed from John Salt, I'd point out that Wales is a principality, but Scotland is a kingdom, which due to the late 16th century shortage of Protestant monarchs ended up having to share its King with England.

Michael Dorosh wrote:

The little coloured boxes under the map are the key to interpreting the colours.

Alright Mr. Ashcroft, I'll restate the question for the benefit of the citizens jury. smile.gif

Why was green selected to represent the Soviet Union on the map and red for Germany? The Soviet Union should be presented in red as it is portrayed on most Western political maps prior to the 1990's. The obvious and logical connection to the color (colour in English), the color red that is, is significant because of the Red Army, the Red Soviet flag, and the generally accepted world practice of associating Communism with the color red. As in, the reds invaded South Korea, except for the slight deviation as practiced by Senator Joseph McCarthy in attributing the color pink to communist sympathizers. Such as "...it's the duty of every real American to be on the lookout for goldbricks, pinko's and fellow travelers. - Colonel Flagg, MASH.

Conversely, the generally accepted practice of WWII world political maps, was to portray Germany in black. Again, the logical association being that the swastika was black, as well as SS uniforms and a wide variety of common Nazi ragalia as was derived from or as adopted by the Germans from the Royal Prussian colors of black and silver, all of which gave the general Western world public a viewpoint that was more than a coincedental familiarity with all things German being associated with the color black.

Is this particular map then something of a modern revision or policitally correct adoption of alternate color schemes? :eek:

[ August 14, 2002, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

When I did Geography at school Italy was in the Mediterranean not Eastern Europe. That was a long time ago, though, it may have changed.

What about continental drift? How long ago were you in school, anyway?

US media outlets reporting on current flooding in "Eastern Europe" are including Italy and Germany in that description. Not to say that the media ever knows what it's talking about, but rather it's an indication of common use of the expression. Academics and cartographers undoubtedly have their own definitions. Surely someone has a cesspool or grog dictionary handy?

[ August 14, 2002, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Jagdratt ]

It's a good point, Bruno, but I can assure you there is no revisionism at play here, merely a desire for contrasting colours. Black isn't a colour, as you know, it is the sum of all colours. I won't make a case for using black as a subconscious statement of Nazi Germany being the be-all end-all of nation states (though you might appreciate that? :D ) rather, I just didn't feel black would show up well since the borders to the states are also black. I chose red as it is dramatic, and the page it is located on is about the Axis nations - therefore I wanted to emphasize the Axis nations. Green simply contrasts with red. Sorry, I posted the map out of context here.

The entire page is at http://members.shaw.ca/grossdeutschland/players.htm and is far from accurate, complete or edited, but I do invite comment on what I have so far. I would like to have a one page treatise on the various nations and their contributions available to CMBB players as I am sure there will be much curiousity about this (or so I would hope). I am working on a similar page for the Red Army and their allies also.

So Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland weren't allied countries?

Come to think of it, when you look at the map in the context of my page, you will see that England is listed as a nation contributing soldiers to the Allied cause - but Scotland, Ireland and Wales are not. These men came from the British Army, which in itself may be a misnomer, but the purpose of the map is to show nations that contributed troops to fight against the Soviet Union.

So nyaah. :D

But seriously folks……

Was there ever an answer to whether or not there will be a Nation fighting for the Axis at one point and the Allies at another?

i.e. will the Finns fight against the Russians and then against the Germans?

IIRC it's been stated that Romania will switch sides in the game. But unless some Italian units fought on the Allied side on the Eastern Front, logically you'd have to wait for CM:Mediterranean or something for Italy to switch sides.

How about "Britain" instead of "England" on the map? It's normal for us Yanks not to know the difference, but aren't you Canadian, Dorosh? Isn't that in the British Commonwealth?

[ August 15, 2002, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Frunze ]