EMERGENCY! Map Editor Question - Rivers and Marsh

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by von Lucke:

Not to mention it makes it impossible to set any sort of elevation on islands in bodies of water. Any chunk of dirt --- no matter what the tile type --- not directly connected to the mainland will also be absolutely flat.

Not quite true VL. A body of land can be elevated in water. The island area just needs to be large enough to surround the elevated portions.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

... I had intended to design a map with a stream that rose among some hills then flowed across some flatlands. I can still do the part across the flatlands, but can no longer do the part on the hills...

Well, you sort of can. Replace all the water in the uplands with rough or rocky ground. That will restrict vehicle movement and give a visual impression of a babbling brook flowing over rocks. It can also have banks as steep as you like.

The downside is that at the interface between the water and rough tiles there is always a narrow strip of clear ground that vehicles - and gamey players ;) - can exploit.

Still, seems weird to have reduced the flexibility of the editor :confused:

Regards

JonS

Just got an answer from Charles. The game is coded to do that. The benefits and time saving do this.

The march tile will only take the size of the water if it is adjacent. I can and did plant stand alone marsh.

Yes, you can't create a waterfall. However, how many river in Europe drop more then 5 meters in a 20 meter distance?

No changes are planned.

Rune

Its all true whats been sais above.

And another change is : nomore buildings along water EVER.

Pretty upsettign really.

I think they all did they to get rid of the sometimes strangely set elevation levels, especialy strange looking in water, ofcourse. And since there now is allways a little elevation around water, there is nomore place for buildings around it.

Damn i used to be ablle to put buildings nicely along waterlines in the old centre of a town, ore whatever, and now they took away that option.

And indeed with a large map it was allways nice to be ablle to elevate the river within the area it lay in.

I will miss those 2 things for sure.

Another thing springing to mind , is that i hoped they would change the map editor to cmbb to be abble to not only cut and paste in the north and east of the map to enlarge it ore smallen, but now also in south and west...pitty that hasnt been done, so now one still can never change his mind when seen new options, and seeing new options while making mapes ensures me to some realism, mostly...ah well; 'make a new one then, u say..and in that new one still i have the same problem, )))

anyways, cant stop making maps.

Originally posted by Old Dog:

Theike, Panzer Leader is spot on about enlarging or shrinking maps in the editor on all 4 edges. Just use SHIFT plus the "+" or "-" buttons.

Been playing with the editor for 2+ years and just found this out yesterday redface.gif

- Old Dog

But there isn't a way to get the new map sections to have random terrain generated, is there? If I randomly generate a map, really like it, but realize it needs to be 80 metres wider?

Water always finds its level. It would actually make sense to make it all same level. It would have been nice to change at least one or two elevations, but that's about it. Besides there are no waterfalls in Russia - or are there? I've never read anything on waterfalls during Barbarossa, and I've read just about every book on the subject.

Originally posted by Abbott:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by von Lucke:

Not to mention it makes it impossible to set any sort of elevation on islands in bodies of water. Any chunk of dirt --- no matter what the tile type --- not directly connected to the mainland will also be absolutely flat.

Not quite true VL. A body of land can be elevated in water. The island area just needs to be large enough to surround the elevated portions.</font>

Originally posted by rune:

Yes, you can't create a waterfall. However, how many river in Europe drop more then 5 meters in a 20 meter distance?

Rune

:eek: Huh?! Ok, I know you have the Rockies over there, but we do have the occasional hump here in Europe as well. :D

Thanks for the update, though! I can't say I miss the waterfall effect much, so no worries from me.

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

For anyone else interested, I give you Rune's comments, a scenario designer of world renown, evil incarnate, and a punisher of the tactically challenged:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Altho, how many fights took place near a waterfall?

</font>

Well, having read almost every book ever about WW2, I've decided that the Germans lost.

Anyway, back to waterfalls.

I am currently conjuring up a winter mountain scenario, with Gerbilyogas and stuff. Because the rivers are frozen, a slab of snow-covered rough (the one wiv der big rocks innit) looks pretty bloody good. With the rivers unfrozen, it looks ok. The longer the drop, the more convincing it seems to be.

Incidentally, whether or not there were battles near waterfalls in Russia is irrelevant. If I want to include a battle with them in, I will. I'm not making historical scenarios for the titillation of the Doroshling grogs out there. I'm making cracking fights with gorgeous scenery, so you can stand and gawp and the beauty of the terrain as your arse is slowly handed to you.

Edited to add the rant about waterfalls - the last bit, anyway. The rest of it wasn't really a rant.

[ November 13, 2002, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Soddball ]

Oh brother, why the incessant jeering about waterfalls? It was a design decision, fine, gotcha, not gonna change, ok, no problem, it's a minor quibble, 10-4. At least Rune had the decency to admit that there are pros and cons to each side of the argument, but anyway, we're not here to score each others debate skills.

I am satisfied that the decision was made for the greater good. Rivers really do look better without the big jagged waves right next to unusual shore lines, but it REALLY DOES cut down on the map making flexibility, in a number of different ways, including: waterfalls, no buildings by shoreline, no small islands, no bridge-river combinations in swampland, to name a few (I don't know of any others...)

Granted, these are all VERY minor, so I acquiesce to all the people waving that gay word "Waterfall" like its some kind of flaming brand and goo back humbly to designing my mountain valley complete with cascading... soft ground.

Originally posted by Soddball:

I'm not making historical scenarios for the titillation of the Doroshling grogs out there. I'm making cracking fights with gorgeous scenery, so you can stand and gawp and the beauty of the terrain as your arse is slowly handed to you.

And I thank you for that effort. Since I'm getting my arse handed to me a lot lately in CMBB, having great scenery takes some of the sting out of the humilation.

Not a lot, but some... smile.gif

Originally posted by Soddball:

Well, having read almost every book ever about WW2, I've decided that the Germans lost.

Good. I never liked kraut all that much anyway. Now that that's finally settled, I would like to move on to much more serious matters. Nobody has mentioned yet but your post seems to suggest that you can have two or more bodies of unconnected water at different levels. Yes?

Incidentally, whether or not there were battles near waterfalls in Russia is irrelevant. If I want to include a battle with them in, I will. I'm not making historical scenarios for the titillation of the Doroshling grogs out there. I'm making cracking fights with gorgeous scenery, so you can stand and gawp and the beauty of the terrain as your arse is slowly handed to you.
Yes, yes, yes, but will there be gorgeous dames with huge tits? Inquiring minds want to know!

Michael