Combat Mission Gold

What is this? Just saw it on VoodooExtreme(voodooextreme.com, ve3d.com). Has anyone heard any other confirmation on such a thing? Seems funny that this should just come out of the blue without any rumblings, but hey, it should be good if its everything it says it is in their lil' press release.

To relieve the lazy among us, the "Gold" Edition will include: "the original game, mods, new scenarios, units, skins and lots more" says also due out in Mid Feb and is a two disc set.

Any ideas guys?

-=Yog :confused:

Combat Mission Gold 7:32 AM - James "Prophet" Fudge - Games: Turn-Based Strategy - (1)

CDV Software let us know that they plan on releasing a two-disc Combat Mission compilation pack called Combat Mission Gold in

mid-February. The pack will include the original game, mods, new scenarios, units, skins and lots more. If you dig 3D turn-based

strategy games, then you'll want to get your hands on this.

This what they have to say at the above site.

interesting?

-tom w

My naturally cynical nature reacted to this news the same as most of you I'm sure. While I would love to see an expansion, I'm leary of the means by which this company is providing it. My question is did they simply harvest the mods and scenarios created by users and compile them or will the material be original? If the afor mentioned method is in fact the case, do the artists and dedicated fans who put so much effort into their creations have any sort of say or copyrite protection? I can't believe, with the CM community being so tight knit, that if the product is creative robbery that it would have any hope of sales once the word got out...

Interesting, but this reminds me of another German company- I think called Intex Publishing or something- that also offered CMBO mods and scenarios last October/November.

Of course, their offering was only a collection of great free work done by others (too many excellent contributors to mention) that was available on the multitude of web sites. They were going to sell others work- a little illegal.

I think it is worth remembering that CDV has the distribution rights for Germany (and other countries), i.e. is a business partner of BTS, while Ripoff Publishing had nothing but an attitude and a lack of respect for other people's intellectual property.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Andreas:

Which would not be a problem, if this was cleared with the mod authors.<hr></blockquote>

I wouldn't have it otherwise.

You might have noticed the use of that fail safe smiley at the end of my previous post.

You know such things have already been debated and are usually a can of worms.

I was merely playing it along.

An additional CD with most of the MODs and some scenarios and ops of the quality that is both present at Der Kessel and reviewed at the Depot would be a neat addition to anyone getting on the bandwagon just now.

Now for personal reasons, I had it on my mind to take a cheap shot at this news.

:D

I'll explain why in a further mail, no need to do this in here...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Andreas:

I think it is worth remembering that CDV has the distribution rights for Germany (and other countries), i.e. is a business partner of BTS, while Ripoff Publishing had nothing but an attitude and a lack of respect for other people's intellectual property.<hr></blockquote>

Well that sounds promising, thanks for mentioning the link to the "distribution rights for Germany (and other countries), i.e. is a business partner of BTS," many folks such has myself may not have known that.

smile.gif

-tom w

Hi folks,

Well, looks like the cat is getting out of the bag smile.gif Just to reassure you fellas... everything is on the up and up. CDV was so very happy with Combat Mission in Germany that they asked to expand their distribution rights to the rest of Europe. This includes German, French, and English versions.

Since we are totally thrilled with our working relationship with them, this was pretty much a no brainer. While our US/Canada Internet sales rival any publishing deal, Europeans are harder for us to reach (multiple languages) and are more picky about where they buy their software. This has meant strong sales for us in Europe directly, but far less than we should be getting when we look at industry numbers. A general rule of thumb is that the European consumer is about 2 years behind the US one in terms of buying habits and cutting edge technology. So for now CDV offers us and the CM Community a better deal in Europe.

As for the Mod CD in the UK... a few Mod authors were asked permission for us to include their work on a CD. All of these things, as far as I remember, are already available to you all. The reason for the CD, which nobody is making any money on, is that we actually had pretty good sales in the UK. Because the press and retail outlets are adverse to covering/stocking product which is "the same" as something released over a year ago, a little bit of a difference had to be created.

Er... that all make sense to everybody? ;)

Steve

P.S. The Mod authors are from the list of usual suspects, and we are entirely greatful to them for helping us out in sudden moment of need smile.gif

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Big Time Software ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Runyan99:

New units?<hr></blockquote>

Same OLD CMBO game right??

what about the suggestion of new units?

"CDV Software let us know that they plan on releasing a two-disc Combat Mission compilation pack

called Combat Mission Gold in

mid-February. The pack will include the original game, mods, new scenarios, units, skins and lots

more.

are we talking about re-branding CMBO v1.12 ?

or some new patch with new units?

Who would want to purchase such a CD?

Will it have something new on it that is not freely available else where on the internet?

enquiring minds want to know???

smile.gif

-tom w

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

To be clear, there is absolutely no difference with the "new" UK/French game or manual compared to what we were selling before. To do that would create a whole bunch of problems for us, including a major distraction from work on CMBB. And we can't have that now can we? smile.gif

Steve<hr></blockquote>

OK

that pretty much answers my last question

thanks for the clarification.

smile.gif

-tom w

smile.gif That clears this mystery up...

Question though, graphics are one thing but if any new units do find their way into the final copy of the Gold release in the ETO, will US customers have any way to aquire them? Maybe a patch or add-on disk, I would shell out quickly to get my grubby little paws on earlier vehicles such as the M-3 Lee or better yet, some of Col. Darby's boys (I'll even forgive their omission from the original game...) After CMBB is finished is there a chance of say... a 42-43 expansion for CMBO?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

A general rule of thumb is that the European consumer is about 2 years behind the US one in terms of buying habits and cutting edge technology.<hr></blockquote>

Then how come all the infomercials on late night TV advertise products, such as cleaning solutions and knives, that Europeans have been using for years?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

Then how come all the infomercials on late night TV advertise products, such as cleaning solutions and knives, that Europeans have been using for years?<hr></blockquote>

2 years behind in computer software, perhaps? Not in use of Scrub o Matic and Ginsu products.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Abn_Ranger87:

smile.gif That clears this mystery up...

Question though, graphics are one thing but if any new units do find their way into the final copy of the Gold release in the ETO, will US customers have any way to aquire them? Maybe a patch or add-on disk, I would shell out quickly to get my grubby little paws on earlier vehicles such as the M-3 Lee or better yet, some of Col. Darby's boys (I'll even forgive their omission from the original game...) After CMBB is finished is there a chance of say... a 42-43 expansion for CMBO?<hr></blockquote>

There is a saying in Germany, about the wish being the father of the thought. I thought multi-turreted vehicles were doubtful for CMBB (that includes the M3). There will be a different game (CM3) with a new engine (CM II) covering the mediterranean, and another one (CM4) covering the early war. BTS has quite categorically ruled out a CMBO add-on CD for sale, b/c of the problems that would create for multiplayer.

As for the Europeans being behind on technology, I don't think so. Where they differ is in habits. Which, looking at the mountain of credit card debt in the US, is probably no bad thing either. Germans, as a rule of thumb, don't get into debt on the same scale.

Same goes for buying on the internet. Pretty conservative lot in that respect. To tab into the market you have to overcome these behavioural differences. Whether they use the same computers (and they do) is totally irrelevant.

Pvt Ryan:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Then how come all the infomercials on late night TV advertise products, such as cleaning solutions and knives, that Europeans have been using for years? <hr></blockquote>

Wait a sec... you mean to say that Europeans are to blame for this crap? Figures. We in the USA export our best of our stuff to you, and in return you export the worst (well, except for German cars smile.gif ). Just kidding :D Euros need to get even with us for McDonalds if nothing else!!

As for "extras" going into the "new" CDV version... to be extra clear... there is 0% chance of that happening. So no need to ponder about patches/upgrades because it simply isn't going to happen. Andreas is also correct about what we intend to do after CMBB is released. Well, at least to the best of our knowledge ;)

Steve

Andreas wrote:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>As for the Europeans being behind on technology, I don't think so. Where they differ is in habits. Which, looking at the mountain of credit card debt in the US, is probably no bad thing either. Germans, as a rule of thumb, don't get into debt on the same scale. <hr></blockquote>

This is definitely part of the equation. However, traditionally computer technology adoption rates have always been higher in the US simply because of price. I know this is not as much of an issue as it used to be, but correct me if I am wrong that highend stuff is still more expensive in Europe when adjusted for % of income compared to the same system at the same time in the US.

From what I know, Europeans had the same aversion to other new consumer "technology" when compared to the US. For example, mail order catalogs. I remember a time when in the US they were more or less mainstream while in Euroland they were still pretty much snubbed as they had once been in the US.

There are many reasons for differences between US and European adoption of technology (loosely defined to include new purchasing options), some of which are price, attitude (conservative nature vs. must have yesterday), sheer weight of industry push, etc.

Steve