Tactics II (the classic Avalan Hill) game

Guys,

I think that I have the record for having played Tactic II before anyone else on this board or anyone else ... anywhere. tongue.gif

I first played Tactics II in about 1958 or 60 when I was about 10 or 12 years old and the game first came out from Avalon Hill. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I can't remember the exact year. I guess that it must be old age. redface.gif

So, if anyone played T2 before me, then post it here, or I'll lay claim to having played Tactics II first. tongue.gif

Cheers, Richard :cool: :D

[ June 03, 2002, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: PiggDogg ]

Tactics II was my first jump into military board games probably in the early 80's along with War at Sea. If Tactics II came out in late 50's, when did Tactics I come out? I've never seen it.

I remember adding the optional rules and thought we were really getting sophisticated.

Originally posted by Hans:

2nd game the first was Afrika Korps.

For me the progression was Stalingrad in 1964, then Battle of the Bulge and Afrika Korp both in 1965. I wanted to get AK second, but the store I went to didn't have it, so I bought BoB instead.

Then there was a long hiatus in my wargaming life and I didn't play another one until Panzerblitz in 1972. After that, I was off to the races! As Ted says, hundreds of games and thousands of dollars...

Michael

Hey PiggDogg,

You and I are about the same age. But my first wargame was given to me by the family of my sitter. I know I was younger than 10. I still have the original game (somewhat the worse for wear) It is called BLOCKADE and the copyright date is 1941. That got us started on making our own games and and I went on to purchase Gettysburgh by AH (the square rather than hex version)as my first purchase.

Does anyone remember the name of a game where in a battle you gave your troops an order from several choices by selecting a corresponding card. The enemy did the same. When the cards were revealed a matrix was used to determine at least part of the outcome of the battle.

I might still have this game somewhere packed away like the Ark of the Covenant in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Dusty Toad

Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

Does anyone remember the name of a game where in a battle you gave your troops an order from several choices by selecting a corresponding card. The enemy did the same. When the cards were revealed a matrix was used to determine at least part of the outcome of the battle.

I might still have this game somewhere packed away like the Ark of the Covenant in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Dusty Toad

Sounds like 1776 at first blush. Although I think a few other games have tried that system, it is the first to come to mind.

I got Tactics II for my birthday the year the White Sox won the pennant--1959. The original Gettysburg followed soon after. My younger brother and I played almost every day and wore the finish off the counters. Later came Afrika Corps, D-Day, Blitzkrieg, Waterloo and the impossible 1914 (FOW simulated with inverted counters, etc.) All fondly remembered but no longer missed, now that I have CMBO.

I seem to recall that the original Tactics was produced and sold by one of the AH company founders out of his home and in his spare time. Favorable reception led him to upgrade the game and go to commercial production. The idea was said to have come from the U.S. Army's "map exercises", but I don't know if this is true.

I played tactics II as well when I was younger but I did not play until the mid 70's when I was in high school

ANYWAY......

Where is that Tactics II scenario?

I can't find it at the scenario depot

how should I search for it?

Thanks smile.gif

-tom w

Louie: I believe the first Avalon Hill Matrix game was that abomination Kriegspiel. Back when production was one game a year, I always prebought and waited impatiently for the UPS man.

While PiggDogg may predate me (first played Tactics II in 1964) I have wasted many years of my life playing games with him, particularly Wellington's Victory. Does anyone remember the Russia WWII game with the Rabatz order?

Incidentally, I notice no one mentions the old Avalon Hill Chancellorsville game (the original, not the reprint).

Now all I have to figure out is how to sell my 200+ wargame collection.

:cool:

Replies:

Got me, I didn't play until 1963, my brother and I keep records, lost track after playing 160 times......and yes we did do one or two nuclear games but one tended to nuke the other guys nukes

The disgusting game was Kriegspeil-what a turkey-had nice black counters if I recall....

Yep its a monster-I've only played it once, as the Blues, landed my Airborne, Marines and Mountain "Divsions" (commandos) on the Red Island and went to town - managed to seize it and the port city before exhaustion of both sides left me with a tactical victory.

Once CMBB is out I'll do a German vs Russian version (lite) with just 2 tanks per Platoon and one squad lopped off each Infantry Platoon.

Hey let me know if anyone ever plays it!