WOW!!! Anybody seen this?

Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

I figured they were bombs because of the arc they take. Wouldn't rockets shoot in more of a straight line?

Normally. They could take that kind of arc if the motors had already burnt out and they were losing velocity. But I've never noticed that in any of the films I've seen. I would be interesting to hear BTS' rationale on this.

Michael

I'm pretty certain that propellent burns in air-to-ground rockets (and all the other artillery rockets) burned for only a couple of seconds at most. After that the rockets go ballistic. That's what the modern 2.75" air-launched rockets are like and i've seen those fire. The propellent burns for only a second or two, then you lose track of them cause the smoke train disappears. When they fire a whole pod of them it sounds like someone ripped the sky in half.

Ren

I can't speak for the rockets the Soviets used, but I believe that the primary ones used in the West burned a little more than a couple of seconds, though not much more. A more important point is that they were normally fired while the plane was in a pretty steep dive—70° or more—so that the trajectory would not curve all that much even after burnout. Other than a slight wobble as they flew, they took a pretty straight path right to the ground. As I say, the Soviet types may have been different, though I suspect they weren't very different in that respect.

Michael

Dudes! I simply assumed this was a function of the game engine and not an attempt at realism. An airplane flying 250 miles an hour would need to fire its rockets at a considerable distance away from the CM board - perhaps the AI can only select targets when the plane is actually over the board itself (ie does not track weapons when not actually in play)....

Probably the only way they could get the rocket graphic to work.

it is just me, or have other people found rockets to be nearly useless? i have not had or seen a single AFV killed by rockets yet, or even *hit* by them, and they don't carry enough explosive to score kills with near-misses, of which i have seen quite a few. even mobility kills are very rare. i was under the impression that rockets (at least on the western front, so presumably also on the eastern front?) were pretty effective tank-killers... otherwise they wouldn't have put them on the planes, right? but i have had very poor success with them thus far...

~Sam

Originally posted by lewallen:

i was under the impression that rockets (at least on the western front, so presumably also on the eastern front?) were pretty effective tank-killers... otherwise they wouldn't have put them on the planes, right?

At the time they were introduced it was hoped that they would be so, but post-battle research showed that not to be the case. They were still useful against a host of non-armored targets—such as AA guns—so they continued in use.

Michael

Myself being a big enthusiast of WW2 aircraft and their weaponry I can safely say that despite the fact that it was VERY rare for any kind of penetration to occur, the blast from the warhead in close proximity to the tank, or a direct hit was enouugh to-

1. rip the tracks apart.

2. immobolize the engine. ( direct hit only )

3. render the gun useless.( direct hit only )

4. Cause internal flaking. ( direct hit only )

5. Kill unbuttoned crew members.

Also in some circumstances it was possible for the rocket following its trajectory to acquire a good top penetration hit, due to the obvious lighter armor there.

But as the aircraft where mainly to just provide some kind of SUPPORT to the infantry and armor on the ground, any kind of immobolization or killing of crew members was surely welcomed by the ground forces. ;)

It is also true that rockets did arc like this due to the propellant as mentioned before, but pilots who had used the rockets in sorties beforehand learnt quite quickly how to place a good shot onto the top of a tank using the curvature of the rocket arc. :cool:

Anyone have anything to add?

Theres' this famous picture of a Panther on the Western Front that's usually captioned that it was overturned by a Typhoon(?) rocket attack. Impressive if true. I read a later article that claimed the tanks had been overturned by Allied bulldozers while clearing a roadway. Goes to show you can't trust captions.