Unhandled Exception Error 000000005c

I haven't personally run any of the CMx1 titles under Vista yet, so I don't have first hand experience. The error code you're seeing is a DirectX error, though I'm used to seeing it in a format of 'c0000005' (and this pretty much suggests the video driver is at fault).

Do you know which Nvidia driver you're using under Vista ? The current WHQL release may be a bit buggy. You may want to try the latest driver Nvidia has posted the 158.18 Beta (this is for Windows Vista 32-bit). This driver may have other problems, but occasionally some of the Beta drivers fix some previous issues.

I'm not specifically aware of the CMx1 series requiring any "compatiblity mode" settings under Vista, but that could be one other course to try.

As a curiosity, which version of CMBB do you have, one purchased online from Battlefront.com or one purchased from a retail outlet (which would be a CDV version of the game). The major difference from a technical standpoint is that the two versions use different copy protection schemes. I don't know if one or the other works better with Vista or not.

Assuming you installed vista into a NTFS filesystem, you need to choose a distribution that can shrink your NTFS partition first. I don't do that Windows stuff except on my dedicated gaming box so I don't know offhand which ones these are, nor do I take any responsibility for this actually working. You can also use partitionmagic or a similar program to first Windows shrink. Partitionmagic is a professional program that will probably not nuke your Windows.

Further notes:

I don't like the payment system that Cedega use (Worldpay).

I tested this long ago but assume it still works in current Cedega. CMBB required the no-cd patch, while CMAK required NOT to use the no-cd patch (might have been vice versa).

Wine and Crossover did not work with CMx1 as of a few months ago, only Cedega.

I do not remember whether there were any graphical degrations such as non-functional AA/AF support.

You need a machine with some CPU power since there is a runtime DirectX to OpenGL translation going on. But I guess a machine that runs Vista has that anyway smile.gif

Let me add that I think Windows users are stupid. Most of them hang on to that crap because they want to use their existing/collected/stolen/got-used-to software, not realizing that new generations of Windows break existing software much more often than new generations of Unix derivates. With Vista the same is also true for drivers, I have more complete support for many existing hardware pieces than the Windows wimps after Vista.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am having the exact same problem too.. Unhandled exception c0000005 in CM2.

CMAK is fine (just tested it with no problems) so is it really down to my drivers?

Running XP Pro

Athlon dual core 4200

ATI 1950 pro 128Mb

2Gb DDR

Does anyone know whether any of the new ATI drivers work.. I have tested 7.6, 7.8 and 7.9 with no joy. :(

Cheers

#C

• 3 weeks later...

Krasny,

I hope you've had some luck sorting this out because I'm running into the same problem.

CMAK and CMBB start, and I can get all the way through the scenario setup. However as soon as I hit continue on the final screen and the game begins to load 3D graphics my system returns the same error.

I've tried several solutions posted in the forum, but nothing's worked yet.

My system:

32 Bit Vista Ultimate

2.67 GHz Dual Core CPU

2 Gigs of RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (driver versioin = 7.15.11.6369)

I sure do wish I could dual-boot XP without completely rebuilding the system. Actually, I really wish Vista was completely backwards compatible and that NVIDIA would fix their drivers. Problem drivers is why I went away from ATI!

Cheers!

Guys -

Try disabling the opening movie when firing up the game.

Press the Shift key during launch of the game and see if that changes anything you're seeing. It should disable the intro movie until you delete the Prefs file. Deleting/moving the movie itself also disables its playback without problem.

• 2 weeks later...

i've got this rotten problem now.it only occurs when i highlight a russian HT or AC.i uninstalled CMBB then reinstalled but it still happened.it also affects a second CMBB installation i have(just to get a new BMP folder) that has never been played.

would anyone know if there are any registry entries to be deleted when uninstalling this game ?

I think I have a fix!

Install game as per usual, right click on the desktop icon and select properties. Under the "shortcut" tab, select "Run" and select "Maximized" rather than "Normal window".

I don't think the problem is specifically Nvidia drivers or the game code, I think it's a combination of things.

I haven't been able to thoroughly test this as yet but so far so good for me.

thanks for trying mate but,alas,that did not work for me :(

i carried out your instructions,loaded game,opened editor,selected a few allied HT's and AC's,previewed map,dragged a box around them and the game crashed.unhandled exception error c0000005 at address 73789e76.

motivator5455456.jpg

[ November 02, 2007, 05:39 AM: Message edited by: sudowudo ]

sorry to keep going on about this but its driving me crazy.reinstalled CMBB yet again and for a brief period it worked fine.over wrote the BMP folder with the heavily modded back up and it crashed first time i highlighted a soviet halftrack.

also i lose some BMP files completely at random.began with all mortars then guns on german halftracks and now i just lost all 38T's.

in desperation i actually read the sticky at the top of this section...........my bad.

theres a solution there regarding reinstalling direct x.this i do and.........nothing,still got same problem.

this may stop me playing CMBB :(