CMMOS Help, Walk Through or Somefink

There might be something cooking at MODs & MODers concerning CMMOS.

There have been so many questions about how to install, use or tweak CMMOS that it is obvious that some detailed guide about installing MODs and using them with CMMOS should be featured somewhere.

Since I do NOT feel like browsing all of the Net to find past questions about it, I am calling you to help us by submitting ALL of your questions AGAIN even if they had been answered to.

Just send them to me with CMMOS in the Subject and we'll go on from there to provide a dandy manual.

I'm known to be here:

marcel.vie@wanadoo.fr

Originally posted by PeterNZer:

I emailed you one!

Yes but it amounted to naught.

:D

Seriously, doing that thing will be a major pain in the whatchamacallit.

It's just like MODing really.

If people can't be bothered to fire their questions then why the CMMOS/Field & Stream Team should bother with an in depth manual to start with?

You guys are spoiled really.

Sheesh!

I have been using the Mod Manager program. I would really like to use CMMOS, but I am not sure how it combines with pre-CMMOS mods?

Also, it seems to use CMMOS that you have to do many downloads and unzips. Could there just be one mega download for those with broadband?

Do I need to download rulesets and zips separately?

Clearly I could benefit from a tutorial with some screen shots too!

Thanks.

1) what's the differnce between modmanger and CMMOS?

2) Where do I copy the files from a mod

3)WHat are rule sets and do I need one for each mod?

4) How does CMMOS work with older modes?

5) Are all CMMOS mods compatible with each other?

6) How do I know a mod will work with CMMOS?

7) How do I get insignia to work with different skins?

8) I don't understand the difference between Basic and Advanced

9) Do simpler modes, like weapons, work with CMMOS?

I am sure I can dredge up more but my ignorance is starting to show.

Originally posted by thewood:

1) I am sure I can dredge up more but my ignorance is starting to show.

Not to worry, keep them coming, you're doing everyone a great service. We like public statements of ignorance. Besides, figuring out what questions to ask is usually two thirds of the solution.

Pawbroon, I spent a good part of this last weekend DLing CMMOS-compliant mods and installing them in (what I think was) the appropriate folders.

The readme is very detailed in certain areas, but unfortunately it assumes some threshhold understanding by the users/readers. A comprehensive set of instruction for the average (non-mod literate) user would be wonderfully helpful.

Reference is made in the readme to "info" files. In my work on Sunday I did not find any such files other than the generic "info.txt" files that came with each mod. There is one thing that could be clarified.

A warning also ought to be given to any user to first make a backup copy of their BMP file as it currently exists. I spent a good amount of time getting my terrain back where I wanted it.

Further explanation of some of the options would be helpful, too.

Can CMMOS recognize and install my hybrid terrain? I have carefully constructed over two years the "best of" where I combine trees, bases, snow, and buildings from different Mod producers. For example, I mix Magua and Panzertruppen buildings to get the best of each. I also have vehicles, effects, and uniforms from lots of different mod providers.

I haven't used CMMOS because I'm afraid I will lose my favorite setup. So do you have a way for me to use CMMOS where I can save and install quickly my hybrid bmp's?

Originally posted by Lawyer:

Can CMMOS recognize and install my hybrid terrain? I have carefully constructed over two years the "best of" where I combine trees, bases, snow, and buildings from different Mod producers. For example, I mix Magua and Panzertruppen buildings to get the best of each. I also have vehicles, effects, and uniforms from lots of different mod providers.

CMMOS can only recognize and apply bmp files with file number extensions that match up to pre-existing rulesets.

Field and Stream introduced a method of converting existing bmp files without extensions (e.g. a "hybrid" terrain set) into a set of bmp files with arbitrary extensions that pre-existing rulesets would recognize. In other words, as long as you stick with non-winter natural terrain, you can pretty much roll your own.

Remember that Field and Stream does not include snow-covered terrain or anything man-made such as buildings, bunkers, paved roads, dirt paths, and things of that ilk.

In a few weeks there will probably be a release of Winter Wonderland, the snow-covered companion of Field and Stream. Winter Wonderland will include at least one 'personal set saver'.

A master plan exists for manmade terrain that is fairly similar in concept to what happens with Field and Stream. At present only the Buildings ruleset is complete (though changing in content), and Road and Track is being worked on. When what goes into each of the groups is finally stabilized, 'personal set savers' will be added in appropriate places. So manmade terrain will eventually be covered but it's too soon to guess at time-tables.

I am not aware of any plans for 'personal set savers' for the other bmps (e.g. tanks, guns, people), but it wouldn't be hard to write, just time consuming. Gordon is away right now, but he is the man to lobby on this. And historically he likes to give people what they want. Alternatively, if someone wants to volunteer to do this themselves for public consumption, I'll be more than happy to coach them until Gordon gets back.

[ February 21, 2002, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: Philippe ]

Mr Lawyer, I've got the same thing you have, my

favorite Magua/Tanks/Panzertrup houses. If you check out the way the FileSets are made, you can easily make your own FileSet creating a .txt document using Notepad. Read the document with the CMMOS download and you'll see some of the higher numbers have been reserved for your personal use(I made a fileset 300-800 for mine).

Then copy the bmp's from your MOD file for your houses into another temp file, rename them with an extension that matches your Fileset. Example, bmp for the first house is 300.bmp; Magua's is 300_mag.bmp, Tanks is 300_tal.bmp, etc. Make a copy of your regular 300.bmp in a temp file and rename it 300_law.bmp or something like that. Do that for all the bmp's for all your favorite houses.

You have to make sure you have an icon of the right size in your Fileset and also an 'info.txt' document. Just keep checking the real ones and make your copy the same way.

The final result will be your new icon on the CMMOS interface under the 'buildings' folder, named 'Lawyer's houses' or whatever you've chosen.

Now when you click on that choice, only YOUR favorite houses will be loaded.

Give it a shot.

Shoeman