Ooops - Whopper BUG with German Halftracks

Just a little addendum to my previous post.

Tanks, with only AP shot remaining, will tend to target infantry and soft vehicles with its machine guns. But it can be manually ordered to use it's main gun, which it will do in both cases.

Can't really see why that should be any different with AT rifles

James Crowley posted:

AT rifles were obviously designed to fire at tanks but why wouldn't they target almost anything else if there are no tanks around.

I can verify they shoot at infantry with something, presumably their sidearms. Several AT teams showed infantry kills in one computer generated QB I played. Still, they should use their rifles on infantry if no armor threats present themselves. At least that seems logical. They carry 50-75 shells, for G*d's sake.

OTOH, with a blast value of '1' one wonders how decisive their value would be in a city fight. CMBB doesn't model mouseholing.

[ October 27, 2002, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: PeterX ]

Originally posted by PeterX:

Rex posted:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Guys, just to clarify, incase I am confusing people as usual, the problem is nothing to do with ATRs, they are just a symptom.

Sorry for the somewhat OT digression but I feel the ineffectuality of ATR teams may merit a thread on its own. smile.gif </font>

Yeah, but you know what happens when the boss is away.

He will have his feet up with some girls in the office and be smoking cigars watching videos...

:D

H

P.s. I am sure this will get noticed as it does sound a bit of a bug. Good Gawd what were those beat testers doing!!!!

;)

Bah! Matt danced around this thread yesterday agreeing to investigate sundry other bugs on higher and lower threads, but studiously avoiding this one. Also no response to my email.

I give up, so looks like you have soft target halftracks as a permenant fixture. Don't say I didn't try.

This is an interesting bug. As the Soviets (always on EFOW) I have yet to misidentify a halftrack for a gun tractor.

Is this bug simply random or does it occur only in conjunction with other parameters (weather, year, troop experience, etc.)?

And to throw in my 2 cents on ATRs, I have yet to find them ineffective. I do have a question though. Will they fire AP rounds or HE (assuming they have them) at soft targets?

Erm, actually, serious thought after the good laugh...

Please don't think that allowing ATR's to engage soft targets fixes this clanger.

If German Halftracks still get a Gun Tractor marker when partially identified then the Tac-AI will continue to assume that they are soft tagets.

So you will still see every un-hidden unit empty it's small arms magazines into them for no effect at all. Plus guns and tanks won't fire AP at them.

Just trying to make sure it's fixed smile.gif