View From Inside AFVs

I was watching a show on tank development and there were a few shots shown from inside the tank looking out. Probably from the driver's port, but I'd guess the commander's view wasn't much better in any single direction.

I couldn't belive how LITTLE they could see, partly because of being so close to the ground and partly because of the limited FOV.

I know the feature set is done for CMBB, but I think people would complain less about their tanks being ambushed by inf or tanks from close range if they could see the view from inside their tank looking out the view ports the TC uses. I'm sure it is much harder to see the enemy than we usually assume.

Mark that one for possible inclusion in the next game engine: Actual view from a unit's perspective, not just near the unit, but from his "eyes"

Have a great weekend all.

Karch, hi,

I agree.

The thought of CM taking any sort of move towards becoming a “shooter” fills me with horror. I just would not buy it. However, simply having a view from inside a given AFV, or the eyes of a given unit, rather than ten feet behind and above as is presently the case, would be fun.

All the best,

Kip.

PS.No doubt there are all sorts of graphics problems, or they would already be doing it.

I'm not sure if this works with everyone's video card but with my set up it is relatively easy to get the TC's point of view, at least. It requires careful control by mouse and key movements and placement of the FOV a pixel or two just outside the vehicle itself. While not the same as a periscope or viewslit view from a shooter, it does give a reasonable recreation of what the TC see's from any given position. I use it a lot, it's useful and really adds to the suspension of disbelief. Too much birds'-eye-viewing tends to spoil us and is not really realistic if one want's to get the flavor of the battle.

Just my 25 cents' worth :D

The Munster Panzermusem had one M41 or M48 open last summer, you could get into the turret and look out of the commander's copula (which is similar to a StuG's, I think, a Pz IV is even worse).

Man, that sucks, I would have had difficulties identifying my own car driving by.

Perhaps people will not understand why tank commanders were willing to risk life and limb by travelling head out, in order to gain that extra chance of seeing the other bloke before he saw you?

I've travelled in AFV's cross-country. The view, as noted, is terrible.