VT 105mm arty. The best thing since sex?

Originally posted by CombatGeneral:

ok, ever since i played skelley, ive been hooked on VT arty. Its so damn cool. I destroy whole armies with my VT FO. At 278 points its expensive, but then again you can only buy one big arty FO in a 1500 point ME. Do you guys know if it can destroy houses? Let me know.

The one time so far I've used VT in a game, it

destroyed a house pretty quickly. Not quite

right, I think; unless there are an awful lot more

fuze malfunctions than there should be, VT (or any

kind of airburst) would be almost completely

ineffective against roofed structures.

Another of the things I'd like to see in the game

(and it occurs to me I've not yet mentioned that

it is without a doubt the best computer wargame

I've met -- I have a big "thank you" letter to

the production team in the works) is a more

convincing representation of artillery, including,

among other things, treatment of groundbursts,

treebursts (with superquick fuzes) and airbursts

(most reliably obtained with VT, but also by

pyrotechnic or clockwork time fuzes, ricochet

fire, or the odd "bouncing bomb" from the German

8cm mortar (apart from which rocket and mortar

fuzing is usually quite dull).

Pointless trivia: I believe that snow-covered

ground caused WW2 VT fuzes to burst higher than

they usually would, lessening their lethality.

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by Croda:

Much better than sex.

When was the last time you obliterated an foolishly bunched-up company with 2 rounds of artillery while having sex?

(Please say you haven't)

Actually, when you have a demanding wife like I do, playing CM on the laptop is the only way it will happen, so I guess I would have to say I have indeed been firing artillery diuring the supreme moment.

Originally posted by Croda:

Much better than sex.

When was the last time you obliterated an foolishly bunched-up company with 2 rounds of artillery while having sex?

(Please say you haven't)

I could answer this question with a recent exploit from my life but you really have to ask yourself "Is this the sort of information I really want from Madmatt???". :confused:

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Croda:

Much better than sex.

(Please say you haven't)

I could answer this question with a recent exploit from my life but you really have to ask yourself "Is this the sort of information I really want from Madmatt???". :confused:

Madmatt</font>

Luckily, skelley spared my 105mm VT in our last game (town game).

The best VT effect I had when a 105mm VT shell exploded right in front of a house where I had my own only spotter team, being killed without having fired a shot. A 105mm spotter in a small defense, that really didn't make my day.

I also learned my lesson not to ignore untargetted (big fall radius) in every case, because VT in darkness and heavy ground they lead to very high losses even with the inprecise pattern.

Personally, I like the British 5.5" VT best. I had a single shell exploding above a platoon's foxholes, breaking all of them including their HQ.

VT means variable timing or something. Basically, the artillery shell has a small radio transmitter in the nose, which is set to go off at a certain altitude. That way the shell explodes in the air above ground and showers everyone below in shrapnel, instead of exploding in the earth and losing much of its effect. Think of it like instant treebursts.

First of all, nothing is actually better than sex, but...

...105 VT artillery is pretty damn good. In a recent game, I was on the receiving end of it and here's what it did (no houses in the vicinity, BTW):

1. Annihilated a whole platoon of infantry down to the last man. The platoon was in woods & or scattered trees and the effect took several turns but by the time a 20 turn scenario was over, every last man was dead. Attempts to move around to evade the VT effect proved fruitless.

2. It killed a Hummell parked, I thought safely, 100+m behind a hill crest and well behind any visible shell crater from the VT. This happened on the first round of the shellling.

3. Killed an HT.

4. Gun-damaged a Mark IV near the end of the game.

In sum, it basically took out an entire wing of my attack in a 1500 pt game. My opponent--who got the VT in a designed scenario and was not a VT proponent-- kept turning the shelling on and off, but had no idea how effective it was till the game was over--but I certainly knew.

This experience has made VT fans out of both of us. It's really worth the extra cost.

Better than sex? F*ck no! The girl I am currently dating is a f'ing bade! In fact not just a f'ing babe, but an uber-babe. And if I had to choose between watching VT arty explode on my computer screen and watching her exploded on me, I would choose sex every fricken time. My, god, man.. TURN OFF THE COMPUTER, AND GET OUT OF THE HOUSE! Pleeeeease, for the LOVE OF GOD!

Now with that said... VT arty does rock. My first introduction to it was in a 4500 point game with Fionn. He had 2 of them... He decimated my attacking force.

Jeff

Once in a 2000pt QB I killed almost 300 krauts in under 15 turns...I still wound up surrendering:( I had no idea about the damage I had done to my opponent and he had just killed my armor and had a KT coming into kill my infantry..his arty and infantry guns had killed about 120 of my infantry and I figured It was only a matter of time before he killed the rest. so I negotiated a minor victory and my opponent was overjoyed when I offered it. after the game I looked around the map at all his routed boys and wanted to throw my computer out the window..then I looked at his lone KT and saw that it had only a few HE rounds left. I think he had about 75 guys that weren't routed or dead while I had over 200 guys left. 105 VT is the most brutal arty you can buy!