ANZAC Day

Originally posted by Stixx:

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them

Lest we forget.

Well now, as you've just used a Kipling line, here's my favourite poem for ANZAC day, with a tip of the hat to the Aussies and Kiwis on the forum, especially those who've served:

Ode: Melbourne shrine of remembrance

So long as memory, valour, and faith endure,

Let these stones witness, through the years to come,

How once there was a people fenced secure

Behind great waters girding a far home.

Their own and their land's youth ran side by side

Heedless and headlong as their unyoked seas -

Lavish o'er all, and set in stubborn pride

Of judgement, nurtured by accepted peace.

Thus, suddenly, war took them - seas and skies

Joined with the earth for slaughter. In a breath

They, scoffing at all talk of sacrifice,

Gave themselves without idle words to death.

Thronging as cities throng to watch a game

Or their own herds move southward with the year,

Secretly, swiftly, from their ports they came,

So that before half earth had heard their name

Half earth had learned to speak of them with fear;

Because of certain men who strove to reach,

Through the red surf, the crest no man might hold,

And gave their name forever to a beach

Which shall outlive Troy's tale when Time is old;

Because of horsemen, gathered apart and hid -

Merciless riders whom Megiddo sent forth

When the outflanking hour struck, and bid

Them close and bar the drove-roads to the north;

And those who, when men feared the last March flood

Of Western war had risen beyond recall,

Stormed through the night from Amiens and made good,

At their glad cost, the breach that perilled all.

Then they returned to their desired land -

The kindly cities and plains where they were bred -

Having revealed their nation in earth's sight

So long as sacrifice and honour stand,

And their own sun at the hushed hour shall light

The shrine of these their dead!

- Rudyard Kipling, 1934

Originally posted by Stixx:

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

We will remember them

Lest we forget.

I'll never forget....

<BIG>2/17th Battalion AIF</BIG>

"WHAT WE HAVE .... WE HOLD"

NX22644 Alexander Duncan Crisdale

Served Tobruk, El Alamein, Finschhafen (PNG)

WIA Tobruk

RIP Dad.

Your loving son,

Jeff Crisdale

[Normally I'd post this in the General forum but being unable to, it can go here as I note a rash of similar posts]

Gentlepeople, today is ANZAC day, 25 April (our time). It is upon this day, the one day of the year, that Australians and New Zealanders have especially set aside to remember and honour our war dead. It was this day, in 1915 that our

troops, stormed ashore upon the Gallipoli peninsular in what was ultimately a doomed adventure. It was this event, which we as nations consider set ourselves amongst other nations more than any other.

At this time, a special poem has great significance for our veterans, it is Ode to the Fallen by O.L. Binyon and from it is extracted what is known as The Ode of Rememberance which runs:

"They shall grow not old. As we that are left grow old

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn

We will remember them".

They shall not grow old..."

Here is the full text of the Ode to the Fallen:

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children

England mourns her dead across the sea

Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit

Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal

Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres

There is music in the midst of desolation

And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young

Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow

They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted

They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old. As we that are left grow old

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn

We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again

They sit no more at familiar tables at home

They have not lot in our labour of the daytime

They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are our hopes profound

Felt as a well spring that is hidden from sight

To the innermost heart of their own land they are known

As the stars are known to the Night.

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust

Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain

As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness

To the end, to the end, they remain.

The Ode is usually recited as a toast, facing the west and is followed by a minute's silence. So, if possible, I ask you to please raise a glass and spare a thought for the thousands of our dead, who have sacrificed themselves in the many wars we have fought in, sometimes with your nations, sometimes apart, but always so that they gave their tomorrows, if necessary, in order that we might enjoy our's, free from tyranny, free from injustice and free from oppression.

Interest in ANZAC day has waned and is now waxing again within Australia, as more people come, with the passing of the old diggers, to understand the debt that we as a nation owe to them. Each year, upon this day, a service is held at dawn, where ever Australians are and we honour their sacrifice. This year, one will be held in East Timor, Bouganville and now Afghanistan. At Gallipoli itself, many young Australians will gather, undertaking what is now considered a pilgrimage to remember their grandfathers and reat-grandfathers. There too, a dawn service will be held. I, personally will be at a dawn service. Hopefully, as I have observed over the last two decades, numbers will again be up on last year's. More Australians, young and old, joined together observing and honouring the ultimate sacrifice that 102,626 Australians have made.

If any of you are interested in knowing more about the traditions of ANZAC day then please, consult this web page for more information. If any of wish to know about the Australia's Military History, please consult site, there you will find the most salient points.

Lest we forget.

[ April 24, 2002, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Brian ]

Anzac Day is a truly moving and historic day for all of us who live in Australia & New Zealand. My father flew in 456 Squadron of the R.A.A.F. as a Night Fighter flying Mosquito's from 1942 onwards and did his bit keeping the free world from tyranny. He is sorely missed by me and the rest of the family (but he still lived to a reasonable old age at least).

Lest we forget.

Hopefully a certain individual will not dare to enter this thread to rubbish this historic national holiday much as he did with New Zealand's previously celebrated Waitangi Day.

Regards

Jim R.

As I said in the General Forum where the OTHER ANZAC post is, I will be doing cenotaph duty, standing on arms reversed, during the ceremony here in Calgary. Last year an Australian girl at the hospital baked biscuits (cookies, to us North Americans) in honour of the day, which I thought was nice.

And from what I've read about WWII, the Aussies and Kiwis were some really kickass troops. I sure wouldn't want to have them busting into my trench if I were a German. First comes a hail of grenades, and then a sea of bayonets. Must be all the alligator wrastlin' as makes them so tough.

(of course none of this applies to aussie jeff, camp mascot)

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

As I said in the General Forum where the OTHER ANZAC post is, I will be doing cenotaph duty, standing on arms reversed, during the ceremony here in Calgary. Last year an Australian girl at the hospital baked biscuits (cookies, to us North Americans) in honour of the day, which I thought was nice.

Michael, can I suggest that you and your fellow Catafalque party members wear a small sprig of Rosemary upon your lapel? It is the traditional emblem of rememberance and the Australians present would appreciate it.

As to the biscuits, they are called ANZAC biscuits and there are a few theories on their origins but it is certain that they came about during the First World War, around 1914/15.

Some say that they started as biscuits made by the Troops in the trenches with provisions they had at hand to relieve the boredom of their battle rations. And some say they came about due to resourceful of the women on the "home front" in an endeavour to make a treat for their loved ones that would survive the long journey by post to the war front.

There is even the suggestion that they originated from Scottish Oatmeal Cakes which is entirely possible. Whatever the origin, they have won the hearts of all Aussies the globe over as the pseudo-National Biscuit.

Here is how to make them, it is dead simple. If I can make them, anyone can!

Ingredients

1 cup plain flour

1 cup rolled oats (regular oatmeal) uncooked

1 cup desiccated coconut

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup butter

2 tbsp golden syrup (or honey)

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

2 tbsp boiling water

Method

Combine the flour (sifted), oats, coconut and sugar in a bowl.

Melt the butter and Golden Syrup (or honey) in a saucepan over a low heat..

Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the water and add to the butter and Golden Syrup.

Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix well.

Spoon dollops of mixture, about the size of a walnut shell, onto a greased tin leaving as much

space again between dollops to allow for spreading.

Bake in a moderate oven, 180C / 350F, for 15-20 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack and seal in airtight containers.

Tips

The American tablespoon is a little smaller than the British tablespoon, so be generous with your Golden Syrup (or Honey) and Water.

If you have any thoughts of keeping the biscuits for any length of time I suggest you keep them in a padlocked container!

For a little variety you may wish to add 2 teaspoons of ginger spice or even Wattle Seeds, a recent addition but don't ask me where to get them.

Mmmm, ANZAC Biscuits.

Enjoy!

[ April 25, 2002, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: Brian ]

And now to provide an "after the action" report....

The dawn services may be becoming thinner with the original ANZACs (there is only one left – and he in Hobart), and the ranks of the WWII are lessening but there is more involvement from the newer conflicts and of the descendants of the earlier ones.

Where I was, the local Army Reserve (RAAOC) unit has been involved since at least the reformation post-WWII (and probably before that conflict). With reorganisations over the years since it has now become the prime focus for a much larger organisation (covering at least 6 different Corps). It has now also drawn two Bands (pipe and military), choir and approximately 150 marching troops (through RAAOC still has pride of place – they have the “Freedom of the City” after all)

Reflecting Australian society at large, there were those of English/Scots/Irish/Welsh ancestry on parade as well as Greek, South African (Boer), Chinese, Vietnamese and of special mention Turkish as well as others.

Over my association with the event the crowning glory was commanding the catafalque party consisting of Irish/Scots/German (x2), Italian, Irish/English, and last but not least a “Johnnie” Turk.

Today I remembered those who had “been there, done that” some to return (and some no longer with us), some did not return.

To them all – thank you …..

Edward

Originally posted by Brian:

(ANZAC-Bisc.)Here is how to make them, it is dead simple. If I can make them, anyone can!

True, even I've done them (well I live with an Aussie sheila). And they taste good! Surprising, considering that it's something Australian. You'd really expect them to be poisonous or something.

Good parade today, including many American-Canadian Vietnam veterans, who fought alongside the Aussies. I guess the local Viet vets and the Calgary chapter of the American Legion are kind of persona non-grata at Rememberance Day, so it was nice to see them out. I got to say Welcome Home to one guy just as he was thanking our cenotaph party of five men for coming out. Freaked a few people out walking from the truck to the cenotaph with our C7s; maybe it was just our kilts that was scaring them, though...

Good speech by a Viet vet about September 11 and Rick Rescorla, and they played a modern song about Gallipoli whose title escapes me that was quite good.

Standing on Arms Reversed for 45 minutes is a bit of a chore, though....

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

...and they played a modern song about Gallipoli whose title escapes me that was quite good.

All hail our Aussie and Kiwi chums! All our best, despite the continuing, you'll have to understand, need to Crush You All.

Grog Dorosh, was the song you heard "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" by Aussie songwriter of adoption Eric Bogle? It's a lovely sing-song. He wrote it in honour of Anzac day, to my knowledge.

Originally posted by Gyrene:

I'd like to bake those cook...err biscuits, but I have no clue what "Golden Syrup" is.

Is it corn syrup like Karo? (My throat hurts when I think of that Karo syrup stuff...)

Gyrene

No. Its a syrup extracted from sugar, IIRC. Very sweet, very, well golden, in colour. A bit like molasses but a lot lighter (both in body and colour). Often used in the past as a substitute for sugar (easier to keep and more useful in cooking). Nicknamed "Cockies' Joy" ("Cockies" is our slang term for farmer, for like the Cockatoo bird, they are forever scratching in the dirt ;) ). I'd surprised if you couldn't get it at somewhere in the US. However, if you cannot, as the recipe suggests, use honey instead.

[ April 26, 2002, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Brian ]

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

...and they played a modern song about Gallipoli whose title escapes me that was quite good.

All hail our Aussie and Kiwi chums! All our best, despite the continuing, you'll have to understand, need to Crush You All.

</font>

Ill never forget my visit to Perth-Freemantle while I served in the US Navy back in 81. You Aussies made us more welcome than anywhere else I have traveled. Being a student of WW2 I hope that our younger generations never forget the bloody sacrifices made to ensure their freedom by all our freedom loving countries' soldiers, airmen, and sailors. I have always felt a rush of warmth to know that we Americans have such fine freinds and allies as you commonwealth people. We might bicker sometimes, and a good barroom brawl always clears the air. But when the rubber hits the road, we Americans know who we can trust to be there. I hope we are always there for you good, stout hearted lads. I tip my hat to you on ANZAC DAY. God Bless you all...

Your Friend, pcpilot

Originally posted by Captitalistdoginchina:

The "West Australian" newspaper reported that more than 25,000 attended the dawn services across the state of W.A.

A record attendance i believe.

CDIC

At the service yesterday, one of our city aldermen reported that his family in Canberra also found record crowds in attendance there - no doubt involvement in the war on terror has helped with this.