Some photos from near Oosterbeek, Arnhem

My Dad sent me these pictures of the Oosterbeek area in the Netherlands, i.e. just north of the river Rhine and west of Arnhem, taken on a "light fog" spring day. Thought you might like to see them too as they provide quite a good impression of the type of landscape there.

The first picture shows the view from the north bank of the river, looking towards Arnhem - note the bridge in the background! This area is called the Westerbouwing, and you can just imagine the difficulty of a river crossing here.

The second picture shows typical countryside - small fields, rows of trees, slight undulations.

In case anybody was wondering about the bridge, I received this clarification from my Dad:

"It is the (later rebuilt) railway bridge that was blown up more or less in the first para's faces! The traffic bridge, now called the Frost bridge is invisible and more to the left in the far distance."

So there you have it.

The road bridge now is a four lane (at least, might be six now) concrete one, no resemblance at all.

For the film they had to use an other bridge that looked like it (at Deventer if I remember right) for even then it had been already replaced.

Bertram

The first picture looks like it was taken looking east from the Westerbouwing Heights. The second looks like the polder area south of Lutheran Church in Lower Oosterbeek - lovely photos. I had the pleasure of walking the battlefield last year and took some similar pictures. Your dad has done you proud.