BTS throw us a "bone" pleease (with some fresh meat on it would be nice though)

Not asking about a certain feature, but how much of the game is complete? Last thing i read was 90% or something..

I understand that it's done "when it's done" but what main features (graphics, coding, textures) are ready and which have to be done?

Regards,

Gryphon

Much like a Microsoft Progress Bar... it takes twice as long for the last 10%.

Things are always progressing and the entire staff is busy, but there are many details and a lot of work to be done. As usual there is no definitive date, though BTS does have a time-frame that they're looking at (i.e. - no new features that haven't already been decided on will make it in for coding work).

I don't know if Steve or anyone would be willing to give an accurate depiction of the exact progress of things in CMBB. Some things may look done, but then they need a 'going-over' later on (planned or unplanned). Giving an assessment of the progress of software development may be misleading. The percentage of work to be done may not translate into a linear amount of time until the project is finished.

And my standard disclaimer... I don't speak for BTS in any official (or unofficial) capacity.

[ May 23, 2002, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

As usual there is no definitive date, though BTS does have a time-frame that they're looking at (i.e. - no new features that haven't already been decided on will make it in for coding work).

Come again. This sounds like you are saying that CM:BB has reached "feature lock" stage?

Are you just speculating smile.gif

M.

"Feature Lock" stage has been reached for most intents and purposes. A lot of features that people have asked for on this forum will not make it in for one of two reasons. There is either not enough time to code them into the current engine or the current engine is incapable of supporting those features.

BTS has not released a comprehensive list of 'features' that are in CMBB. They've given teasers about some of the features and changes that you'll see in CMBB and mentioned others that they intend to include, but they haven't mentioned all of them (some are details you may not notice unless you're looking for them).

Edit: "Feature lock" stage shouldn't be construed as meaning that the feature has been completely coded up. It just means that (almost) all of the features of CMBB have already been defined in planning and no other major features/changes are intended at this point. This is primarily a planning stage issue for BTS most of the time.

BTS is busy at work implementing the features in CMBB that they have planned on (most of them already mentioned in previous teasers/interviews). Sometimes new features/details crop up if it is possible to put them in (so some unplanned/unmentioned features do get included). These are dependant on what CoderGod Charles can squeeze in or comes up with unexpectedly. Other than these few occasions the work is only on what has been already planned for inclusion. Those details are only really known by BTS and hidden in the deep recesses of Charles' brain.

Since I don't speak for BTS what I have to say is primarily speculation. A complete answer can only come from BTS and even that may change on occasion.

[ May 23, 2002, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Ok, I think I follow...

I was interested because the feature lock was a bit of an event back in the CM:BO awaiting days. Like with CM:BB now, I assume, a lot of interesting things were added after that point but they were relatively minor additions and improvements that could be added to good effect.

The main thing though, was that it was a definite point in time and space to relate to in CM limbo. Now, how long did we wait last time smile.gif

M.

Giving an assessment of the progress of software development may be misleading. The percentage of work to be done may not translate into a linear amount of time until the project is finished.

You've got that right, to quote the head programmer at my work

'The last 10% of the code takes 90% of the time'

Yep, what Schrulli is saying is complete speculation. A complete answer can only come from us (that would be BFC not BTS ;) ). Here it is:

"Feature Lock" stage has been reached for most intents and purposes. A lot of features that people have asked for on this forum will not make it in for one of two reasons. There is either not enough time to code them into the current engine or the current engine is incapable of supporting those features.

BFC has not released a comprehensive list of 'features' that are in CMBB. We've given teasers about some of the features and changes that you'll see in CMBB and mentioned others that they intend to include, but we haven't mentioned all of them (some are details you may not notice unless you're looking for them).

Edit: "Feature lock" stage shouldn't be construed as meaning that the feature has been completely coded up. It just means that (almost) all of the features of CMBB have already been defined in planning and no other major features/changes are intended at this point. This is primarily a planning stage issue for BFC most of the time.

BFC is busy at work implementing the features in CMBB that they have planned on (most of them already mentioned in previous teasers/interviews). Sometimes new features/details crop up if it is possible to put them in (so some unplanned/unmentioned features do get included). These are dependant on what CoderGod Charles can squeeze in or comes up with unexpectedly. Other than these few occasions the work is only on what has been already planned for inclusion.

smile.gif

Martin