SL maps for testing!

I have made some map conversions from SL to CM for anyone to use in scenarios:

The new URL...

http://www.freebox.com/asl2cm/

I have alot of them and are eager to start converting smile.gif Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

I also have some thoughts about the levels in ASL. I have assumed 2 levels (5m) in CM to 1 in ASL. Anyone have any ideas if this is correct?

Klotz

[This message has been edited by Col. Klotz (edited 07-12-2000).]

First of all thanks for your hard work. The second map link appears not to work. Looking forward to the rest of your maps.

UPDATE: OK I got it to download, thanks again.

sniperscope

[This message has been edited by sniperscope (edited 07-07-2000).]

Guest Kinch

Has anyone determined if it is OK to distribute SL to CM maps (OOBs and scenarios for that matter) considering copyright law?

There are two levels .. free to use and pay for use. I do not think we will encounter the later. But who knows.

- Kevin

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kinch:

Has anyone determined if it is OK to distribute SL to CM maps (OOBs and scenarios for that matter) considering copyright law?

There are two levels .. free to use and pay for use. I do not think we will encounter the later. But who knows.

- Kevin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually, the maps and scenarios are all probably derivative works. As far as I know, the SL system (maps, scenarios, and OOBS are probably all protected under the copyright) has not lapsed into the public domain. And the use probably isnt fair use as defined under the statute.

Sorry....

(an IP attorney that uses Napster.... lol.)

(the new digital world is how I make a living, its gonna be a wild ride here....)

btw, Steve and Charles, if you need or would like any pro bono IP advice, give me a holler. Contact me at tanq_tonic@hotmail.com. I just went solo here in Austin. If you give me a holler, that is if you are interested, Ill give you my particulars.

Hats off again to the great work !!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I also have some thoughts about the levels in ASL. I have assumed 2 levels (5m) in CM to 1 in ASL. Anyone have any ideas if this is correct?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is the same method I use. I also scatter levels 6 & 8 though the clear terrain to break up the pool table effect.

Nice work,Klotz!

It looks good... but I cant get the %&¤# download to work! From one of the other posts I gather this might be a general trouble (well, we all have trouble with generals...).

Maybe you should think about changing your webhotel?

As for the legal issues I very much wonder if this really is an infringement of copyrights. The maps are not exact copies nor are they distributed as an SL or ASL product... in any case I can't see Avalon Hill (or whoever owns the copyrights) getting their underwear in a knot over this.

Keep up the good work!

-Derfel

------------------

The only problem for a cobra attacking small furry animals is that occasjonally one of them will turn out to be a mongoose...

[This message has been edited by Derfel (edited 07-08-2000).]

Thanks guys, I'm blushing smile.gif I have some more that I hopefully finish by this weekend, so check it out later.

The pool table effect is a problem on these maps. But I'm also trying to make the LOS as close to the original as possible and that precludes me from doing too much trimming.

About Homestead: Their download servers are apparently very busy, but the files are there, promise! Just try again in few seconds. Also I've noticed that Getright reports the file as not existing when this busy page shows up. Try without a download manager, the files are really small.

Klotz

Guest rune

Once I figured out that you weren't attacking my printer, I was happy. Sure, I will take a look at your scenario and test it for you.

Tim 'Rune' Orosz

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Culex Pipiens:

i have just finished the map of the module of ASL "Scotland the brave" of the critical hit company. i will make the operation asap

(it is on the EPSON offensive)some body wants to see it ?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest Kinch

The maps are nicely done and almost exact. On reflection, as long as no fee is charged I think the SQ ASL guys will lay low. I enjoyed replicating Panzer Leader/Blitz scenarios in TANKS/EF/WF. It's cool to replay them on the PC. Now the brew only spills on the keyboard. However, I never posted them to a BBS or web site. Perhaps they might get pissed if full scenarios show

up all over the internet. I would continue these efforts, but it might be thin ice.

Nice job on the maps Col. Klotz.

I was assuming that such a conversion would be easy... ignorant me.

Maybe some intrepid programmer can discover (or BTS can do it in a patch) a way to extract the map data and then import it into an in-progress scenario/op. Of course placement tools would be necessary in order to use a pre-done component map like the SL/ASL ones.

Culex Pipiens - I'd like to take a look at your "Scotland..." scenario. I can't claim to have a very good critical/detailed eye, but I would enjoy looking it over.

ian_straw@hotmail.com

OK, I've found a new webhost that works great from here. Hope it's good on the receiving end as well:

Also I have added a new map: SL#3 - "Village amidst Level 2 Hills".

Schrullenhaft - I hope too for the map format to be importable into scens/ops or even better to become separate files. Also, if the file format would be made public I guess we would see some rather nifty editors out here with map combining & rotation, copy&paste, automation in making rolling hills and so on.

Col Klotz

They are a challange to make, and it's nice seeing all these good maps coming to life again. I've had some pretty intense fighting especially on board 3, with both close quarters and long range tank duels.

I've just finished SL#5 from COI with woods, lots of woods, and some gullies.

I remember one humiliating A/SL scenario, and certainly not the only one smile.gif on this map. Almost all my tanks got bogged on the first turns and then they got utterly crushed by the enemy. After that I realized that tanks are not very well suited in woods.

Col. Klotz

New Update, New Map!

Thanks for the positive rally modifier smile.gif

I have just finished one of the more difficult maps i hope smile.gif #6 from COD "The Chateu". It is in two versions one true to the original and one modified to line up better with the squares.

Unfortunately I don't have any of the historical maps so I can't work on them, but if anyone give them a try and wish to make it public then send it my way and I'll put it on the site.

Also, take a look in the scenery section at one strange new US unit I found in one scenario. It seems to be using indirect fire.

Col.Klotz

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Col. Klotz:

TI've had some pretty intense fighting especially on board 3.

Col. Klotz<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I liked Hill 621, if someone ever builds that scenario to CM I would like to have a go at it.

smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patboivin:

I liked Hill 621, if someone ever builds that scenario to CM I would like to have a go at it.

smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here I am replying to myself! Of course Hill 621 used Russian armour, but maybe we can cook something similar with US or British troops, all running across the field...

As someone who spent quite a few hours staring at the old SL boards, I really appreciate your efforts in making these maps. Haven't tried them in a scrap yet, but it's amazing just to 'walk' the map at camera position 1. One question: was it deliberate to have 'tall' buildings on map 3? My recollection is that the only 2-level building on the map was 3N1 (I think that's the right coordinates...all my old stuff is in storage). I could see arguments for going either way, just curious.

Anyways, thanks so much for all your efforts. Definitely makes one with for some cut & paste capability in the editor...CM2?

Yes, it's nice checking LOS by taking a look at ground level yourself rather than using a thread or a ruler.

To your question: According to the ASL rules all multihex buildings are considered 1 1/2 levels in height, and are assumed to have have a stairwell in every hex. However if I remember right this was not the case in Squad Leader. I recall just the buildings with stairwell symbols were of the two story type. In that case it depends if you play SL or ASL.

Also I decided to put the other 2 story building (not the block building) on this map as the blockbuilding looks too city-like on this rural map. The N1-building's size made me go for the blockbuilding anyway. But I don't think there are any game differences, apart from their area size.

Col. Klotz

You are quick Sniperscope! I was going here to announce the changes.

I just finished a test scenario in map 8. I wanted to test the sturdiness of the castle so I bought one of those 14 in. naval. Need I say that most of the castle were gone after the first spotting rounds. That's not artillery, it's nukes.

I'll check into making a word doc. It shouldn't be any problems, but one never knows.

Again, thanks and have fun with the maps.

Col. Klotz