I Can't believe the graphic's in the game!!

lcm1947

I am blown away with the extremely realistic and good looking graphic's in this game and just had to mention it. BFC has done an excellent job this time where I don't know if I'll need any 3rd party mods. The detail of the vehicles far surpasses the previous games and looks as good as the 3rd party mods. Did you notice the silver bar on the back of the HQ units helmets? Those small details is what has always made it for me. Man, good job guys. Course in 6 months I'll probably be crying for new mods but it sure won't be because of the quality of these. Thanks again BFC.

Mods are definitely going to be optional this time around, but just because you like the shirt you've got on today doesn't mean you have to wear the same thing every day!

Mod artist are going to keep doing mods because doing mods is fun (and a lot cheaper than buying resin kits! ;) ). The new game may be damned good, but there's still the holy grail of 'photo-realistic' for the dedicated modder to shoot for.

Originally posted by gautrek:

I will carry on doing my thing to this game.

As MikeyD says it fun.

God Bless You, Gautrek and MikeyD!! Your mods have ALWAYS been improvements and highly appreciated by me. I'm sure you'll find something to improve and we will all lap it up. You guys do great work!

Originally posted by Lawyer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by gautrek:

I will carry on doing my thing to this game.

As MikeyD says it fun.

God Bless You, Gautrek and MikeyD!! Your mods have ALWAYS been improvements and highly appreciated by me. I'm sure you'll find something to improve and we will all lap it up. You guys do great work! </font>

Originally posted by James Crowley:

I think the desert graphics are particularly good. I have quite a bit of colour footage of the Western desert and BFC have really captured the look and feel of it.

Excellent job.

Nicely said. Nicely said indeed.

Hum.

Say, James, I was wondering. Ever noticed what a venomous little toad that Dorosh fellow is? I mean, vicious, don't you think?

Originally posted by James Crowley:

I think the desert graphics are particularly good. I have quite a bit of colour footage of the Western desert and BFC have really captured the look and feel of it.

Excellent job.

Have to agree with you there. Looks like the view out on the mesa (I live in New Mexico) --- all it needs is a few tumble-weeds, and it'd be just like home...

As soon as I saw the armour in the demo i knew CMAK would be special - from the point of view of its looks. But there is scope for dust on the vehicles so Gautreks work will definitely be much sought. Personally I will be looking to see what I can take out of CMAK for CMBB. Nearly finished converting a DAK PzIII for use on the Steppe! smile.gif

Hey, now I didn't mean that I wouldn't ever want any 3rd party mods. I'm not nuts. I was just wanting to express to BFC what a great job they did this time around on the graphics. No doubt our bunch of modders we have around here can and will improve the game with their superb mods and make it even more realistic and eye pleasing. And gautrek that mod is very sharp. I should have known you of all people couldn't wait to start whipping them out. Oh and what the hell does WIP mean? I've seen it a million times and should know but I don't. So what does it mean?

Yep,

Very nicely done indeed. The only things I have changed so far are the flags and the tracers. I just like to have different colored tracers for the Axis and Allies, makes it easier to see incoming and outgoing.

Although I am sure I will be tempted by any uni's AndrewTF has for release as they are always top notch.

Yep,

Very nicely done indeed. The only things I have changed so far are the flags and the tracers. I just like to have different colored tracers for the Axis and Allies, makes it easier to see incoming and outgoing.

Although I am sure I will be tempted by any uni's AndrewTF has for release as they are always top notch.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by James Crowley:

Excellent job.

Nicely said. Nicely said indeed.

Hum.

Say, James, I was wondering. Ever noticed what a venomous little toad that Dorosh fellow is? I mean, vicious, don't you think? </font>

Honestly, I don't like the CM graphics that much, they are functional but not nice to look at. I usually play at zoom level 4-5 and from that perspective tanks are just little boxes and infantry small moving dots. I only go down to level 1 or two to check the terrain.

To give you an impression of how I want CM to look like, check out the screenshots and movies at Panzers , I know, it's RTS, it's unrealistic as hell but it's truely a beauty to look at!

Originally posted by lcm1947:

Hey, now I didn't mean that I wouldn't ever want any 3rd party mods. I'm not nuts. I was just wanting to express to BFC what a great job they did this time around on the graphics.

I couldn't agree more.

But then i am not clever enough to work out how to do scratch built mods.

So all i do is dust and grime up other peoples good art work.

Edited cause i've been down the pub

[ December 13, 2003, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: gautrek ]

you must be joking or stuck in a early 90's time warp. The graphics are sad.

A buddy of mine down the street makes "homeade games" with a friend of his, and the graphics are litterally 10 times better, and they are made on a storebought copy of 3D stuido max, by ONE guy, in his spare time. (they mostly make RTS historical wargames)

I bet your buddies homemade games don't have 100+ individual units on a 3x3 km map. I agree the graphics could use some work and I'm sure they will be completely overhauled before CMX2. But in terms of what you get for your money with CMBB and CMAK I'll take these graphics any day over any other wargame I have ever played.

The "total number of units" or "grid size" doesnt excuse the poor renders and texture quality.

I totally expected the "no way your crazy" response to my comment though. I think that once people become a fan of a given game, they become blind to its flaws.

Graphics are such a non-priority for grognard games, that the dev teams usually dont put much effort into making the graphics "look good" which is evidenced by how long this game has been out since its inital incarnation and the small advances in the graphical quality since then.

The idea probably is "we have X days to get X Y and Z done... graphics come last..waaaaaay last." which is fine. I dont have a problem with that, i just think its silly too fool ourselves into thinking that CM's graphics are anything other than (at best) "mediocre" and at worst, "crumby".

The current CM series utilizes 16-bit color, which is probably the primary reason so many people think it has 'crappy' graphics. The color depth really limits the perception of the texture quality, making it more 'computer/cartoon-like' than some of the newest FPS titles. You really need 24/32-bit color to make 'rendering' worthwhile (or pretty much even possible for that matter), whether that is something done to the model/textures beforehand or 'live' by the engine. The next engine will increase the graphic capabilities of CM quite a bit more and bring it closer to the high-quality renderings of today's FPS and 3D RTS games (possibly, in some features, exceed some of the current graphics).

Also the CM series has more unique 3D models than probably any game on the market. These are historically researched models too, not some graphics designer's imagination or 'approximation'. That's a lot of work to keep the graphics people busy with and I think most of us would rather have the large selection of vehicles/units than only '50 really nice ones'.

I don't think we are 'blind' to CM's limitations, we're just accepting of them. The size of the battlefield and the number of units does make a difference since it has a huge impact on display performance. That is why 16-bit color was chosen for CMBO (I'm not sure if QuickDraw RAVE performance/preferences may have had something else to do with it too). Admittedly the graphics engine is getting a bit long in the tooth especially with the plethora of WWII related games coming to market (which rarely have the game play value of CM).

It's interesting to note how some of the largest scenarios in this game series can bring the fastest machines to their knees with their 'crappy graphics'. Once higher color depths, more animation, denser terrain and objects and units with even more polygons show up with the next engine, it will tax the newest hardware then too.