Radeon & NVidia & FSAA

Sorry for putting this here instead of the tech forum but I am looking for a definitive answer.

About to buy new PC and choice of graphic card is important consideration.

Can anyone cofirm that both ATI's and NVidia's latest drivers have eliminated the problems caused to text by enabling FSAA? Using FSAA is quite important to my enjoyment of the game.

Thanks

[ June 15, 2004, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Limey ]

Thanks for the info. I can be pretty sure about the FX5900 with the latest drivers and - presumably - Windows XP. That card is one of my choices so your assistance is appreciated.

Anyone got info on the latest Radeon drivers with a 9800 Pro? Does FSAA work without text errors?

Thanks

A good point GAJ. I have a monitor that has a max of 1024*768 and FSAA makes a HUGE difference to the quality of the graphics. In fact with a lowly GeForce 2 Ti and 28.32 drivers and with 4 times FSAA enabled on Windows 98, CM graphics are superb. What I don't want is to buy a new PC and end up with a worse CM experience! However the new PC will have a flat screen at 1280*1024. Does anyone know if this will have the equivalent effect as using 4 times FSAA on a 1024*768 screen?

Originally posted by Limey:

A good point GAJ. I have a monitor that has a max of 1024*768 and FSAA makes a HUGE difference to the quality of the graphics. In fact with a lowly GeForce 2 Ti and 28.32 drivers and with 4 times FSAA enabled on Windows 98, CM graphics are superb. What I don't want is to buy a new PC and end up with a worse CM experience! However the new PC will have a flat screen at 1280*1024. Does anyone know if this will have the equivalent effect as using 4 times FSAA on a 1024*768 screen?

I've been using a flat panel Dell 18" screen at 1280x1024 for the past year with GForce 4/128 memory. The CM graphics are excellent with zero AA applied, although the lines for sight, target, command, etc. are jagged. I set the anistrophic (sp?) setting at the highest because many game reviewers say that is more important than AA for visual depth. It looks good to me.

I just got the newest nVidia driver mentioned above, and it works fine with 4xAA added as well. I agree that higher screen resolution makes a huge difference in CM graphics, and also shows you more battlefield at once which is nice.

If the desktop icons are too small for comfort at high res, try this:

- right click on the background (desktop)

- properties

- settings

- advanced

- set DPI settings to large size

Then you have the benefit of high res for apps but larger stuff displayed by windows.

The one drawback is that a few apps will have some quirks. Like McMMM did before I fixed it up: apps have to be careful to be compatible with large DPI, and don't always get it right. It's hardly ever a problem though: just something to have in the back of your mind if something doesn't seem right.

A less comprehensive change is to choose "appearance" instead of "settings", and choose "large fonts". That is less likely to mess up an application. It will make the labels on icons bigger, without actually making the icons themselves bigger...

Good Luck!

GaJ.

Some really useful info here - thanks guys.

I reckon 1280*1024 with a Radeon card and anisotropic filtering cranked up will give good graphics but NVidia must edge it for CM gaming at least with the ability to use FSAA without text issues, also use anisotropic filtering & get fog represented.

So I go with NVidia.

Again thanks to the posters for helping me out with this..... smile.gif

J2D - I musta misunderstood what you were after: it's true that DPI only affects windows.

In-game, you want big unit icons you hit Shift-C :)

If you got stutter from anything I suggested, something is wrong: it shouldn't affect things that way.

But hey... if you are happy with what you had in the first place, just use it. It sure isn't making your mods any worse :)

nothing went wrong. ya dont know unless you try. i know about the in game trick.

basically the older i get, the worse these bifocals are. by stutter i meant the jerkiness as you scroll across the terrain. some scens are worse than others. it seemed more noticable in 1024x768. i dont think changing font size in windows will help the battle/op list in the game.

thanks tho.