Arty spotters

It's not a throwing mine even if it's represented as such in CM. Since your squad animation is just a abstract representation of your troops it's assumed that one of the soldiers of the squad runs up to the tank and plants the mine, despite the unit animation staying where you last left it.

And yes.... RTFM! ;)

?????

Anyway, the spotter I tried to embark required transport class 1. So if he requires a transport class then he can embark on an appropriate vehicle, according to the manual.

He can't?!?! :confused:

If he has to lay wire then roll it off the back of a vehicle, slowly. Its not rocket science.

First of all there is a programming issue with adding a capability for the type of passenger to affect the speed of the vehicle. That is just not present in the current game engine.

Secondly, even if it could be done, why bother. If the game required that the vehicle move at the same speed as the guys walking, what would be the point of putting the spotter into the vehicle in the first place?

Originally posted by tar:

First of all there is a programming issue with adding a capability for the type of passenger to affect the speed of the vehicle. That is just not present in the current game engine.

I believe it is already in the game, but it only shows up when the vehicles are moving at full speed.

I just ran a test with 3 251/1 HTs on a flat map. 1 was empty, the second towed a 75mm IG, the third a 150mm IG. All were regular, and were given fast move orders. Watching the movie you can clearly see the empty HT pull away from the towing pair, while the one towing the 75mm IG getting ahead of the 150mm IG carrier.

A trivia follow-up on Sergeis comment...

In my military career I trained a lot of signallers. My theater of operations was the more or less roadless sub-arctic to arctic terrain in northern Sweden.

The "old school" i.e. prior to somewhat secure radio coms, ment that we had to lay a land line from "road-end" (the spot where we veered off the roads into the terrain. Forgive my ugly, direct translations from swedish terminology) out to wherever the battalion HQ ended up. As Sergei points out the biggest problem was laying the line in such a way as to minimize it being run over by vehicles. We always placed the lines on the right side of the advancing column, at least 50 mtrs out in the terrain. One good thing was that our combat units basically only had over-snow vehicles with soft tracks that could run over the lines without tearing them into shreds (Arctic brigades). There was of course no time to raise the lines up into the trees... During winter we had one more advantage and that was that our cable guys had snow mobiles, so they could lay the wire further away from the advancing units and with great speed (sometimes getting to the objective too quickly but that´s another story).

Of course all this changed as we became mechanized. Secure radio comms meant that the need for landline comms to Battallion HQ wasn´t necessary, especially since the speed of manouvering made it impossible to keep up with the units. And for some reason the mech units found it necessary to careen all over the place thus efficiently shredding any wire we had laid down... :(

We did however try to hook up the wheeled rear echelon units (logistics) that stayed at "roadend" since they needed to communicate with units out of radio range such as various brigade and divisional logistic units.

This was just meant as a small insight in the daily life of us infantry-men trying to maintain comms during manouvering ;)