Good Movies to watch

A bit of nostalgia...

As a kid I loved 'Ice cold in Alex' starring John Mills and Anthony Quaille. Another goodie was 'Play Dirty' with Michael Cain, the intro had a SAS jeep bounding along the dunes with 'Lili Marlene' blaring from its wireless. Both films captured the heat and sand from everything I've read or been told about in the desert...anyone else care to add to the list?

Try 'Sea of Sand' a British B&W film (1950ish?)about the LRDPG. Based on the true story of a patrol, all goes wrong and the members must E & E back to base on foot.

On same subject, but more related to CMBO, try 'Theirs is the Glory'. A recreation of the British battles at Arnhem. Filmed in September 1945, on location (bombed out ruins of Arnhem), using original para regiment members who were there in 1944.

Originally posted by HeinzBaby:

Another goodie was 'Play Dirty' with Michael Cain, the intro had a SAS jeep bounding along the dunes with 'Lili Marlene' blaring from its wireless.

I have not seen "Play Dirty" since cutting High School in the sixties. I have a different memory of the opening sequence.

Fast moving jeep with two occupants, radio blasting an Italian mandolin tune, driver wearing Italian hat, passenger is unconscious or dead and almost falls out a few times. The jeep rolls through a gap in the wire and the driver changes the radio to a weedy English accented version of "You are my Sunshine" the driver changes into an English cap.

The last scene and lines are one of my favorite movie endings.

Is it available on DVD in the UK? I've got a code free DVD player that can convert PAL to NTSC.

I'm going to order, from the UK, a DVD collection with "Ice Cold in Alex", "The Cruel Sea", "The Dam Busters" and another film that escapes my memory just now.

Ever since my dad bought his Willy's Jeep, he kept telling me about Play Dirty; it was finally on the Canadian History Channel a couple years ago and I managed to snag a copy (my aunt taped it for us, actually!)

It was not bad at all. Pretty standard B Movie stuff, but Michael Caine is always fun to watch, in his typical understated British way. Harry Andrews never disappoints either.

And yes, you have pegged the intro exactly - only it wasn't an Italian hat, it was a German one. And the mandolin tune came later, the intro had Lili Marlene, and then You Are My Sunshine, as you remember.

There was also a feisty German nurse who beat the crap out of one of the team members who tried to rape her.

[ October 28, 2003, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Pfc Driscole James E:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Firefly:

Play Dirty (includes a picture of Dorosh's 'feisty nurse').

That must be a out take of an Italian Nurse attacking Caine. smile.gif The German Nurse was built like a fullback and applied her sensible shoes to full effect, but she did not have a mustache, as I recall. </font>

Originally posted by Maj. Battaglia:

Oh, and if you want to talk about Italian campaign, how can we forget Von Ryan's Express? Sinatra's second best movie.

Now what was the name of the Italian POW camp commandant?

I can't recall but he played the bad guy in the original "Thunderball".

HI ,

speaking of desert war movies, I saw Nicholas Cage in a war movie. He was an Italian soldier out with an officer. (I am not thinking Cpt Correlli's Pile o' Poo), this one must have been late 80'sish

THe scene I remember is when the officer stopped to take a "break" and was commenting on how regular he was, in fact if you looked at your watch and it was 2PM, you knew where to find him

For some reason, I never finished the movie or cought the name, if anyone knows what the heck I am talking about, that would be great.

Frenchy, you are correct.

Adolfo Celi was not only in Von Ryan's Express and Thunderball but also in OK Connery, which I did not know. I actually did see this last movie, which featured Sean Connery's younger brother Neil, but there were these two robots and some dude making funny comments from the lower right hand corner. Ruined the movie for me.

Adolfo Celi's IMDB profile

And I can't find a Belushi movie called Sahara in IMDB. There's that bad one with Brooke Shields. Are you guys thinking of 1941? Belushi's IMDB profile

Originally posted by Maj. Battaglia:

Frenchy, you are correct.

Adolfo Celi was not only in Von Ryan's Express and Thunderball but also in OK Connery, which I did not know. I actually did see this last movie, which featured Sean Connery's younger brother Neil, but there were these two robots and some dude making funny comments from the lower right hand corner. Ruined the movie for me.

Adolfo Celi's IMDB profile

And I can't find a Belushi movie called Sahara in IMDB. There's that bad one with Brooke Shields. Are you guys thinking of 1941? Belushi's IMDB profile

Wrong Belushi. Jim Belushi starred in a remake of Sahara in '95.

Originally posted by chashm:

HI ,

speaking of desert war movies, I saw Nicholas Cage in a war movie. He was an Italian soldier out with an officer. (I am not thinking Cpt Correlli's Pile o' Poo), this one must have been late 80'sish

THe scene I remember is when the officer stopped to take a "break" and was commenting on how regular he was, in fact if you looked at your watch and it was 2PM, you knew where to find him

For some reason, I never finished the movie or cought the name, if anyone knows what the heck I am talking about, that would be great.

The movie is "Time To Kill". Cage plays an Italian First Lt., the regular officer is a Major and his regular time is 1530. It's actually about Ethiopia pre W.W.II.

Not really a war movie in that the Ethiopain resistance is almost over and the action is off screen. I.E Cage's unit goes hunting for "bandits" who have overrun an enginer unit but do not make contact and at another point Cage is alone and hides while "bandits" ride by. a Blub on the video tape box is "A Twisted Tale of Forbidden Love".