Playing my father's unit

I've been enjoying CM for a few years now and with the release of AK I'm finally able to play in the theatre of operation that my father actually fought in during WWII.

My dad was an infantryman with the 141st Infantry Regiment (thus my Tpatch screen name). His regiment shipped to North Africa, landed at Salerno and proceeded north through Naples, Caserta, Mignano and finally Cassino and the Rapido River.

After these last battles my father's company was so under-strength due to combat losses that he was shipped back state side and spent the rest of the war using is accounting degree in Lake Placid NY.

He is 84 now and still in good shape. He has never given he many details about the war but he did give me a stack of letters, a book called 5 years, 5 countries, 5 Campaigns a history of 141 in WWII + I have a "Soldier's Guide to Italy".

I'd love to replay some of the engagements his unit was in. Can someone point me to some good scenarios involving the 141st? Maybe Salerno or Cassino or Rapido? I was a little dissapointed that I didn't see anything in the scenarios on the disk that really fit the bill. Maybe there's somthing on-line.

Thanks for your help,

Tom Mechler

Tpatch, is there a US army historical centre or regimental history association. Possibly even some sort of veterans association that may be able to help you. Here in the UK regimental associations are quite common and often have a regimental history published. Maybe the same is true of the states ?

Just a couple of ideas.

T-Patch:

Here are some links you may be already aware of:

http://www.kwanah.com/txmilmus/36division/archives.htm

Association 141st I.R.:

Mr. Leonard E Wilkerson 903-489-1644

4943 Buerna Vis

Malakoff TX 75148-3975

36th Infantry Division

same as above

The site has a wealth of information. FYI, one of our association members (70th ID), Charlie Pence, who was awarded the DSC, and recently passed away, has a connection to the Nisei - his father commanded a battalion of that unit.

Interesting the 442nd RCT has ties to the 141st.

One thing I forgot to add - Gen Dahlquist was CO of the 70th Infantry Division before taking over the 36th. If I am not mistaken, they also fought in NE France through the Vosges and ended up capturing Goring in May 1945.

[ January 09, 2004, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Frenchy ]

A great way to honor your father, learn more about what he and his fellow soldiers did is through the games editor. Gather has much hitorical data as you can find. Talk to your Dad, asked him if one or two locations come to mind that might do for a scen. Try some small unit type action. Most Vets can remember many a small action but not what/where/or why of their Division. As already noted, There will be unit associatios histories that may help. The geography of the area you settled on is always the problem. Start gathering any maps, travel guides, and military maps. Your local College library can be very helpful. Once you have at least a general idea of the topography...the size of the hills, types of towns, roads, rivers ect...you can get to work with the editor. Through trail and error you'll come up with a scen that dipicts (in a small way) what a day in your Dad's life might have been like. The time and study you put into this will create a living memorial to him and all who served.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Nowhere else but this Board would this topic look less than horrifying.

Congratulations on being...er...able to recreate a bit of your family's past.

Pfffff.....

When does the hurting stop! - Red (Cow & Chicken)

Ignore these posts TPatch.

I want to welcome you to these forums and thank you for sharing your story about your father. Good luck in finding the scenario that you're looking for!

Nils