CMBO graphics are better

poppy

Poppy,

You have got to be kinding? :eek: Right? :confused: I hope!

Alice the Goons, in make believe uniforms, being knocked down by shock waves in a cartoon setting just is not my cup of tea. :D

Check Proving Grounds in the next couple of days, I am done a remake of "Wiltz" for CMAK, that I will post soon. Compare and contrast.

David I

So that we have a basis for comparison, it might be interesting if someone posted a few screenshots from the CMAK version. There are so many variables going on here I'm not sure I understand what the criteria for better really are. I'd be glad to post a few CMBO Wiltz screenshots of approximately the same views.

Hello everyone, Better response than I expected. What started this for me is when I went back and started to play the CMBO demo from early 2000. As I said in another thread, the scenario "Valley of Trouble" got me hooked on CM and I wanted to play it again and try to win without saving any more than six or seven times, When I loaded the scenario and brought it up on screen I was suprised at how obvious the the hills and dips and knobs and holes were. Maybe it is a little more cartoonish than CMBB and CMAK but for me its more fun to play. Shock waves are good. poppy

The image is a bit blurry because I'm running out of bandwidth, but that's actually the Semiotics mod from the FTP site. The unmodified version does not include the Keystone Division's shoulder patch.

And the trees come from all sorts of places. The only real way to compare CMBO and CMAK graphics is to load exactly the same mods into both, and then see what the engine does to them.

Heck, if CMBO actually looked like that I'd prefer it too! My memory of CMBO out of the box is a saturated cathode ray tube day-glo green landscape.

I've occassionally had the urge (never acted on) to change the entire CMAK bmp folder to greyscale (not counting the knockout colors of course). I grew up watching old B&W WWII movies and to me WWII is still in B&W. You younger 'Saving Private Ryan' and 'Band of Brothers' types probably have a more colorful mental picture of WWII in your heads. I do recall a reduced color saturation CMBB total redo pack from awhile ago.

David, for CMAK roads try :

Pud's, SDog's, Tom's TBM (light, dark, and full), UncleTGT's, TBM scaled road, Tom's fieldpath, MikeyD's dirty snow and slushy snow

Then I make my own zips from summer bmp numbers for winter bmp numbers, for muddy winter roads.

Then there is ed and jujus ASM winter mod that looks best with itself.

The graphics are what I would refer to as a CMMOS 4.03 Editor's Edition. You can reduplicate it by downloading the CMMOS mods, and then adding on the parts of CMAK that are compatible and look good. You can also get 4.05 at cmmods, but I didn't work on it.

Note that I change my terrain and uniforms for every scenario I play. The hardest part of the setup is deciding (and remembering) which set of mods to use.

But to mention a few points, those are modified Andrew Fox uniforms, and a lot of Strontium Dog greenery. There are several dirt roads that give the median strip effect; I don't remember which one I'm using, but it was the one that looked best with Strontium Dog paved roads. The tank is a Marco Bergman subdued (star blacked out to eliminate the bulls-eye effect), the anti-tank gun is by Mike Duplessis, the stone wall is Juju's, and the buildings are Panzertruppen's. The interface is a slightly modded Tank Girl, the flags are mine, as is the photograph and the pine-tree horizon. The sky was constructed out of one of Magua's. The trees are pretty much a random selection and differ from picture to picture, but include DD, Ed Kinney, and CMAK.

Graphics in CMBO is an endless task -- it's a bit like a garden, you have to keep digging in it. One set might look good in one scenario, but less than optimal in another. What works in Normandy doesn't work in the Ardennes and vice versa.