CMx2 suggestion

Originally posted by Steiner14:

How about the possibility of reinforcements depending on player's global morals?

You mean you won't get a battalion of tanks as reinforcements in Tunisia if one of your troops goes into a cathouse in Honolulu? That's kind of harsh, isn't it? I mean, vengeful god and all?

:confused:

Michael

[ November 04, 2003, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]

Ohhhhh! Morale... See what happens when I take for granted that posters actually write what they want you to read. I get it now, it's all supposed to be a guessing game..! Well dang me anyway.

Yes, Pestilence, I would say it's kind of a naïve (to be charitable) question. The arrival or non-arrival of reinforcements could conceivably depend on so many variables that to select just this one is pretty arbitrary, isn't it?

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Ohhhhh! Morale... See what happens when I take for granted that posters actually write what they want you to read. I get it now, it's all supposed to be a guessing game..! Well dang me anyway.

Yes, Pestilence, I would say it's kind of a naïve (to be charitable) question. The arrival or non-arrival of reinforcements could conceivably depend on so many variables that to select just this one is pretty arbitrary, isn't it?

Michael

Go easy on him Mike, he appears to be ESL.

Hey, chill, dudes!

Operations already have something like this, insofar as certain of the higher echelon reinforcements are only released if you are doing poorly. It isn't necessarily a bad idea to have a similar mechanism available for scenarios as well.

Regimental reserves arrive in response to desparate pleas after the front collapses...

Originally posted by tar:

Regimental reserves arrive in response to desparate pleas after the front collapses...

And they got there using what... their Star Trek Transporters? It works in operations because there is the assumption of time passing between battles.

There are a number of reinforcement triggers that would make nice additions. The idea of reinforcements arriving due to a global morale marker would only really make sense if it worked kinda like this...

If side A hits Global Morale X, force Z will BEGIN to arrive 15-30 minutes later

For a reinforcement to join the battle within a CM based on how the battle is going would model something totally unheard of in the reality. In a real battle communications were always very difficult to maintain, as phone lines were cut in barrages, radios of the day were subject to problems because of weather, terrain and other traffic, and messengers, well they died. It could easily take over an hour for the upper echelon just to get a good idea of how the 1st Bn is doing (often as a result of a swarm of their men passing the regimental command place, telling everyone that the enemy is coming and they should flee). Now at this point the planning takes place, of course a basic plan is there but it may have to be altered based on the situation (again, wait for more information about the situation). And then it takes some time from the reinforcements to reach the hole they are supposed to plug, as their advance routes could be harassed by artillery.

I'd like to know what triggers the Bn, Rgt, Div. reinforcements in operations? Losses, yes, but how great?

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Pestilence here!

Ok, now where is that none too bright, poster child for peace, War? </font>

But what if he really meant "morals"? What if your soldiers normally frequented taverns of questionable reputations dressed in only leather motorcycle chaps and ship captains hats, had tattoos of satanic cults on thier derriere, and didn't practice safe sex procedures. Surely thier effectiveness and ability to even make it to the battle ground might be compromised. If they don't leave you the handcuff key it is hard to get back to the barracks on time...

Just a thought.