Infantry wont follow orders even when not supressed...

I was playing a scenerio called Ariete-The Ram...I was playing as the British and I noticed that no matter what I did My infantry would not follow my orders...AND THEY WHERE NOT SUPRESSED or bothered by any enemy fire....I had platoons sitting behind hills, when i would tell them to advance and pressed GO they would just stand there...I have CMAK patched to 1.3 I dont understand? Is it because I went against want the scenerio maker said? he says either Player vs British or 2 players. Would me going against the scenerio editor affect the game mechanics that way? I never really noticed that it did in CMBB.

Hmmm . . . does seem odd. One thing I can think of is that the troops might be conscript and not allowed to use the ADVANCE command. Move, Move To Contact and FAST should be usable for conscript troops, but maybe not ADVANCE. Especially if they are not "in command" of a leader.

Are they under fire at all? Under enemy observation? Have they been broken/routed already?

Are the hills they are sitting behind Cliffs? Maybe they cannot climb the hills due to steep terrain?

The only other option I can think of (other than it's broke) is that you are still in the Set-up phase. You have a MOVE command option in the set-up phase, but you can't actually order them to move at all. Only place them. You have to hit GO before you can order movement commands. (And I'm sure you know this - just trying to be thorough.)

Sorry if this was of no help. smile.gif

Good luck!

Gpig

No, none of that would matter. I can think of a few things that would.

First, there is command delay - it takes a few seconds for the men to move out, more if recently under fire or out of command. But that would not take long to resolve in this scenario, if as you say your men were unbothered by enemy fire.

Second, this can happen when you order men across impassable terrain, like a cliff face that is too steep. But I do not recall any such blockages in that scenario, which does not use the "steep" terrain contours that make cliffs more common.

Third, and a possible culprit in your case, men will not enter an enemy minefield even if ordered to, if they have any idea that it is there. There are AP minefields in that scenario. (Also AT minefields, but those would not bother infantry).

Fourth, there is the leftover effect of "cover panic". This arises when a unit is shot in the open and starts "sneaking sideways" toward cover. If you zero out the movement or otherwise halt them, but they have not reached cover yet, they can be in a state in which they will not willingly move toward the enemy or any waypoint ending in open ground. Even if fully rallied in morale terms, they are still trying to reach a covered location.

The solution is in the last case is to give them a waypoint, preferably short, that ends in at least 50% cover (e.g. rocky or a shellhole). Use "advance" or "sneak" as the movement rate.

Fifth, if you use the movement command "move to contact" but they have already spotted any enemy units, they will freeze right where they are, having already made contact as ordered. To move after LOS to enemies has been established, the movement command cannot contain the "to contact" option, which means "halt on sight of the enemy".

It might also be possible for units to refuse to move into too much fire e.g. a falling barrage, or friendly area fire, or the location of a planned thrown demolition charge or pioneer mine-clearing placement. I have occasionally seen forms of the last (the reverse, units refusing to use area fire near friendlies seems to me more common however), but in my experience the others can often instead result in "friendly fire" or advancing into whatever is flying until suppressed. A rapid duck and recovery might be seen in the last case, but does not really right your description.

Those are the only cases I know of that will cause *infantry* units to refuse movement orders. Vehicles are another story - they will frequently "override" a movement order - especially things like "hunt" - that puts them in LOS of weapons they know can kill them. Transports and green AFVs are particularly susceptible, and will simply reverse out of LOS if they can. A "fast move" or "shoot and scoot" order (the last for AFVs) can overcome this tendency sometimes.

nah guys this happened over multiple turns and these guys where totally unaffected by anything :-/ they didnt refuse to do anything they just didnt react to any order....I am not the best CM player but i do know about all the things you guys are talking about.

Why am i git? and im not a troll. I am telling you that my soldiers where in COVER, not TAKING FIRE, not RATTLED, and they are fighting on a FLAT desert for the most part with no impassable terrain. The scenerio is Ariete-The ram. I would give them orders and they would just sit there. when i would check the movement paths the next turn they would not be there anymore.

Originally posted by JasonC:

OK, I am now convinced we have a genuine ignorant git on our hands. Or a troll.

Indeed. Perhaps it's just my suspicious character, but lately we seem to have some rather new guys with critical remarks about the AI of CM. It might be a coincidence, but it happens exactly at the time TOW is launched..., which AI is getting quite some Flak at the forum. Hmmmm...

I had a simliar experience with vehicles once. I think it was a corrupted save file. When I played the scenairo over again it was fine. Perhaps a just a glitch? Maybe try reinstalling that scenario or your game?

One time the AI stopped working all together. It took awhile for me to figure out what was happening. I thought the AI was getting really sneaky because nothing was happening at all.

I still lost....j/K

Oh, he saved over it.

Natch.

But maybe it still had something to do with being so rebellious and not playing the way the designer told him too - maybe the designer was sending signals to his men through the gold filings in their teeth - maybe a hat made of some metallic substance will help...

It happened once with me many moons ago in a pbem that a half-track refused to budge on a road. Everything else in the scenario ran around OK but this one stubborn HT failed to either move forward or reverse.

Never seen the glitch again until Garand51 mentioned his similar experience here.

ya I dont know, its not really that big of a deal the game works fine and its one of my favorites it was just that isolated incident...I was just asking if the game goes out of wack when you go against the guy who made the scenerio by playing the side he says is not played best as.....then Jason decided to treat me like an idiot...later guys

PS I usually save over my games unless something really interesting happened that i want to keep!

Originally posted by Garand51:

then Jason decided to treat me like an idiot...

Well, Jason is prone to do that. He has the manners of a precocious tot. Just pat him on the head and smile.

And for the record, scenario designers can't spike your game. Once it is set in motion, the Tac AI takes over and does the stupid things it normally does. Although this is not normal. Just a fluke.

In the future, follow the designer's advice and you'll get a better game out of it. Cheers.

Bogged?

Originally posted by Wicky:

It happened once with me many moons ago in a pbem that a half-track refused to budge on a road. Everything else in the scenario ran around OK but this one stubborn HT failed to either move forward or reverse.

Never seen the glitch again until Garand51 mentioned his similar experience here.