Family Ties to World War II: A New Poll

My grandfather from my fathers side worked in the shipyards and metal industry in Winschoten (the Netherlands). He spends most of the war doing forced labor in Germany. He never wanted to talk about it.

My father was 11 when the war started, 16 when it ended. Stories he told include that his girlfriend was Jewish, and disappeard, never to come back; that he got arrested once by some German soldiers because while they were cheering because they thought the AA shot down a plane, he remarked that it was just a drop tank; that he and a friend went to meet the Canadians to tell them the town was deserted by the Germans, and were almost hit by the arty the Canadians send in front of their advance.

He surprised himself later, somewhere in 1980, by talking Russian. He learned it himself in the war, together with his friends, because they all expected to be liberated from the east. I still have an atlas from the 1930's in which the placenames in Russian are marked, following the news from the front.

My mothers father was a smal farmer, and was exempt from pressed labor. At some time there were illegals on a piece of peat he owned (for fuel), which he supplied with food. Close to where he lived there was a large group of people the went under - literally in this case, they lived in underground holes in the woods- to avoid the Germans. My mothers memories are of being shot at by the RAF, because of the tramline running behind their house, and of the refugees in the hungerwinter.

Bertram

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandfather from my fathers side worked in the shipyards and metal industry in Winschoten (the Netherlands). He spends most of the war doing forced labor in Germany. He never wanted to talk about it.

My father was 11 when the war started, 16 when it ended. Stories he told include that his girlfriend was Jewish, and disappeard, never to come back; that he got arrested once by some German soldiers because while they were cheering because they thought the AA shot down a plane, he remarked that it was just a drop tank; that he and a friend went to meet the Canadians to tell them the town was deserted by the Germans, and were almost hit by the arty the Canadians send in front of their advance.

He surprised himself later, somewhere in 1980, by talking Russian. He learned it himself in the war, together with his friends, because they all expected to be liberated from the east. I still have an atlas from the 1930's in which the placenames in Russian are marked, following the news from the front.

My mothers father was a smal farmer, and was exempt from pressed labor. At some time there were illegals on a piece of peat he owned (for fuel), which he supplied with food. Close to where he lived there was a large group of people the went under - literally in this case, they lived in underground holes in the woods- to avoid the Germans. My mothers memories are of being shot at by the RAF, because of the tramline running behind their house, and of the refugees in the hungerwinter.

Bertram

- My father was 2nd Marines (Guadacanal, Tarawa, Saipan and Tinian before he was too shot up to continue...)

- One of his brothers (the one I know well) was an army medic in Europe.

- I'll have to ask, but I believe another of his brothers was 8th Air Force and was killed in action.

- I'm told by my mother that after WWII, relatives in Germany (I come from good Prussian stock you see ;) wrote my Grandparents here in the states and asked for clothing and powdered milk.

- My father was 2nd Marines (Guadacanal, Tarawa, Saipan and Tinian before he was too shot up to continue...)

- I'll have to ask, but I believe another of his brothers was 8th Air Force and was killed in action.

- I'm told by my mother that after WWII, relatives in Germany (I come from good Prussian stock you see ;) wrote my Grandparents here in the states and asked for clothing and powdered milk.

Grandfather HMCS Eyebright Flower Class Corvette Battle of Atlantic AA gunner.

Great Uncle Mum's side in RCN Destoyers battle of Atlantic asdic operator

2 Great Uncles 2nd Canadian Infantry Div. Essex Scottish Regiment then one joined US Army served in Japan post 45 in occupation duty. One wounded twice lightly by shrapnel. Other came back with an alcohol problem and post war stress.

Dad's side

2 Great Uncles Black Watch One wounded and lost an eye.

1 Great Uncles 82nd Airborne Sicily, Normandy, Market Garden

All of above saw action in Atlantic and NW Europe.

[ January 13, 2004, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Waycool ]

2 Great Uncles 2nd Canadian Infantry Div. Essex Scottish Regiment then one joined US Army served in Japan post 45 in occupation duty. One wounded twice lightly by shrapnel. Other came back with an alcohol problem and post war stress.

Dad's side

Dad's side

I had a grandfather and two uncles serve in WWII. The one grandfather flew in the 15th? AF in Italy. I had one uncle die in the Phillipines after being taken POW. The other uncle, who was the brother of the one who died, server as an FO for the 4th AD. Flew what was basically a Cub and got the bright idea to strap bazookas to it to hunt German AFV's. Knocked out 7. There is at least one replica of the plane he flew in a Florida Air Museum but the name escapes me. For those interested. Here is some info when I did a search.

http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:h5slWxpieqEJ:www.warbirds-eaa.org/featured/featured/Featured%2520Articles%2520-%2520Vol.%252025,%2520No.%252004%2520-%2520June%25202002,%2520In %2520%2520Sun%2520%27n%2520Fun%2520Coverage.pdf+Rosie+the+Rocketer&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Medical conditions disqualified another grandfather and uncle. Both wanted to serve but were unable.

I had a grandfather and two uncles serve in WWII. The one grandfather flew in the 15th? AF in Italy. I had one uncle die in the Phillipines after being taken POW. The other uncle, who was the brother of the one who died, server as an FO for the 4th AD. Flew what was basically a Cub and got the bright idea to strap bazookas to it to hunt German AFV's. Knocked out 7. There is at least one replica of the plane he flew in a Florida Air Museum but the name escapes me. For those interested. Here is some info when I did a search.

http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:h5slWxpieqEJ:www.warbirds-eaa.org/featured/featured/Featured%2520Articles%2520-%2520Vol.%252025,%2520No.%252004%2520-%2520June%25202002,%2520In %2520%2520Sun%2520%27n%2520Fun%2520Coverage.pdf+Rosie+the+Rocketer&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Medical conditions disqualified another grandfather and uncle. Both wanted to serve but were unable.

Mother's Side: my grandfather served in the US navy on the aircraft carrier USS Munda. His brother(my great uncle) served in the Air Force and was a tail gunner in a B-24.

somewhat off topic: My great grandfather served in the 3rdID in WWI, and was hit by a sniper. He survived though, the bullet hit his gun and traveled down and hit him in the thumb. He was one of only 7 or so in his platoon to make it out of the argonne forest.

Father's side: Grandfather was a sherman tank commander in europe near the end of the war.

Grandmother was a spotlight and radar operator for the Nazi army. Her father was a master gun smith and made gun barrels for the Germans in WWII. He was also a sniper in WWI, his favorite pastimes included sniping the tea pots of french soldiers. And no he didnt shoot my other great grandfather.

[ January 14, 2004, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: tacitrain ]

Mother's Side: my grandfather served in the US navy on the aircraft carrier USS Munda. His brother(my great uncle) served in the Air Force and was a tail gunner in a B-24.

somewhat off topic: My great grandfather served in the 3rdID in WWI, and was hit by a sniper. He survived though, the bullet hit his gun and traveled down and hit him in the thumb. He was one of only 7 or so in his platoon to make it out of the argonne forest.

Father's side: Grandfather was a sherman tank commander in europe near the end of the war.

Grandmother was a spotlight and radar operator for the Nazi army. Her father was a master gun smith and made gun barrels for the Germans in WWII. He was also a sniper in WWI, his favorite pastimes included sniping the tea pots of french soldiers. And no he didnt shoot my other great grandfather.

My paternal grandfather was about 40 when the war started, so he didn't fight.

Maternal grandfather was in England and Europe as a ground crewman in 9th TAC, maybe servicing the P-38s that Kitty's grandma built. smile.gif He had Alzheimer's for several years and died when I was in middle school, so I never got to talk to him about his service, but Grandma has shared bits & pieces that she remembered over the years (and she has some interesting stories of her own about running a grocery store during rationing).

Maternal grandfather was in England and Europe as a ground crewman in 9th TAC, maybe servicing the P-38s that Kitty's grandma built. smile.gif He had Alzheimer's for several years and died when I was in middle school, so I never got to talk to him about his service, but Grandma has shared bits & pieces that she remembered over the years (and she has some interesting stories of her own about running a grocery store during rationing).