It's the CWT: Trespassers will be Blown Up - Survivors will be Blown Up Again

Snarker

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will no-one rid me of this damnable thread??

What pox strewn gin addled limp wristed redcoat fancier was responsible for it??

String him high I say - off with his head - blow him to kingdom come - keel-haul the wretch!!

What pox strewn gin addled limp wristed redcoat fancier was responsible for it??

String him high I say - off with his head - blow him to kingdom come - keel-haul the wretch!!

KEELHAUL - An extreme punishment given in which an offender was tied hand and foot, with heavy weights attached to his body. He was slowly lowered over the ship's side and dragged under the ship's hull. If he didn't drown, which was usually the case, then barnacles usually ripped him, causing him to bleed to death.

That'll learn him. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Also:

MIND YOUR P's AND Q's - Nowadays a term meaning "Be on your best behavior." In old days, sailors serving aboard government ships could always get credit at the waterfront taverns until pay-day. As they would only pay for those drinks which were marked up on the score-board, the tavern-keeper had to be careful that no Pints or Quarts had been omitted from the customers list.

SCUTTLEBUTT - Navy term for rumor. Comes from a combination of the word "scuttle" to make a hole in the ship's side, causing her to sink, and "butt", a cask used to hold drinking water. Scuttlebutt literally means a cask with a hole in it. Scuttle describes what most rumors accomplish if not to the ship, at least to morale. Butt describes the water cask where men naturally congregated, and that's where most rumors get started.

DEVIL TO PAY - Originally this denoted a specific task aboard ship such as caulking the ship's longest seam. The "Devil" was the longest seam on the ship and caulking was done with "pay" or pitch. This grueling task was despised by every seaman and the expression came to denote any unpleasant task.

SKYLARKING - Originally, skylarking described the antics of young Navymen who climbed and slid down the backstays for fun. Since the ancient word "lac" means "to play" and the games started high in the masts, the term was "skylacing." Later, corruption of the word changed it to "skylarking".

From here. :mad: :mad:

KEELHAUL - An extreme punishment given in which an offender was tied hand and foot, with heavy weights attached to his body. He was slowly lowered over the ship's side and dragged under the ship's hull. If he didn't drown, which was usually the case, then barnacles usually ripped him, causing him to bleed to death.

That'll learn him. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Also:

MIND YOUR P's AND Q's - Nowadays a term meaning "Be on your best behavior." In old days, sailors serving aboard government ships could always get credit at the waterfront taverns until pay-day. As they would only pay for those drinks which were marked up on the score-board, the tavern-keeper had to be careful that no Pints or Quarts had been omitted from the customers list.

SCUTTLEBUTT - Navy term for rumor. Comes from a combination of the word "scuttle" to make a hole in the ship's side, causing her to sink, and "butt", a cask used to hold drinking water. Scuttlebutt literally means a cask with a hole in it. Scuttle describes what most rumors accomplish if not to the ship, at least to morale. Butt describes the water cask where men naturally congregated, and that's where most rumors get started.

DEVIL TO PAY - Originally this denoted a specific task aboard ship such as caulking the ship's longest seam. The "Devil" was the longest seam on the ship and caulking was done with "pay" or pitch. This grueling task was despised by every seaman and the expression came to denote any unpleasant task.

SKYLARKING - Originally, skylarking described the antics of young Navymen who climbed and slid down the backstays for fun. Since the ancient word "lac" means "to play" and the games started high in the masts, the term was "skylacing." Later, corruption of the word changed it to "skylarking".

From here. :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Tripod Dick:

I just realized you had the answer to your own question in your post:

"Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?" -- Henry II

Untitled-2.jpg

Originally posted by Tripod Dick:

I just realized you had the answer to your own question in your post:

"Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?" -- Henry II

Untitled-2.jpg

Originally posted by Axe2121:

Untitled-2.jpg

Tum te tum.

That's how they deal with recalcitrant CMers who are a tad slow with their turn processing.

Hey Axe!

How they deal with them.

Yep.

*Swish thwack thwack chop* You can almost hear the blows of the swords on his skull.

It's because of slow PBEM turnaround dontchaknow.

Slow turn.

Yep.

*thwack*

Errr. What's your address again?

Mace

Originally posted by Axe2121:

Untitled-2.jpg

Tum te tum.

That's how they deal with recalcitrant CMers who are a tad slow with their turn processing.

Hey Axe!

How they deal with them.

Yep.

*Swish thwack thwack chop* You can almost hear the blows of the swords on his skull.

Slow turn.

Yep.

*thwack*

Mace

Originally posted by Mace:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Axe2121:

Untitled-2.jpg

Tum te tum.

Hey Axe!

How they deal with them.

Yep.

Slow turn.

Yep.

*thwack*

Mace </font>

Originally posted by Mace:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Axe2121:

Untitled-2.jpg

Tum te tum.

Hey Axe!

How they deal with them.

Yep.

Slow turn.

Yep.

*thwack*

Mace </font>