An annoying suggestion to improve the next CM game

On the CMBB forum I was answering a question about how to make a good war game. I noted the lack of fear, from wounds or relief was missing for a CM commander.........how about if you lose to the AI in an equal QB the game relieves you and refuses to let you play for a week.

That should generate some fear factor for the game.

No I'm not serious, but it would be amusing!

Ignoring the humorous intent of this thread...

I wouldn't want a "if you want to play the next battle you've got'ta win this one first" system. In addition if it were to be an 'option' I'd vote against time spent for it in favor of something else. I understand the concept, but it reeks far too much of most other games with 'levels'. I'd much rather have a continuation/progression of the battle with forces-on-hand or reinforcements, etc. Obviously this isn't completely possible with the current engine, so the options offered by the above persons (and others) is appreciated.

Now this subject can or will blossom into what people will want in a campaign system. That can be a lengthy subject with a lot of variability in views. Hopefully CMx2 will have some sort of campaign system and if it does it may very likely end up an 'evolving' concept as the games progress in the CMx2 series.

To put a little realistic fear and hesitation into your CM game, all you have to do is have both sides in a PBEM place refundable deposits at one dollar per point with BFC. Whatever survives the battle gets refunded to you, and BFC keeps the difference.

This approach would instill a realistic fear of taking casualties and would also guarantee that BFC would be around for a long time. And it's not gambling, because, just like war, you can't really win.

It'd be interesting to have some play stats kept for players... like how many games started vs. AI and human since date XX, how many aborted, how many cease fires or surrenders, how many won, lost, how long did it take to plan an average turn, the average loss %-age for own and enemy force, well, you get the point. smile.gif I don't know would it make any sense, though. ;)

Originally posted by Sergei:

It'd be interesting to have some play stats kept for players... like how many games started vs. AI and human since date XX, how many aborted, how many cease fires or surrenders, how many won, lost, how long did it take to plan an average turn, the average loss %-age for own and enemy force, well, you get the point. smile.gif I don't know would it make any sense, though. ;)

Jeeze, what else? Don't you want a set of X-rays to post on the internet so everybody can watch your liver rot? How about publishing the set of letters your former lover wrote before she broke up with you and went on a killing spree with a guy she met in a sleazy bar?

If I thought my gaming statistics were going to be published on the internet, I wouldn't just erase CM from my hard drive, I'd probably smash my computer with a sledgehammer and then shoot myself. And I might be a better player than half the guys on the board. Then again...I might not.

The point is, I wouldn't want to remove the uncertainty.

Michael

Originally posted by junk2drive:

eichenbaums osf and some other computer games dont allow you to go to the next level until you win a level. would people like to see this in cm?

OSF will allow you to move on after a defeat. But only a limited amount of such manoeuvres are allowed. Once you come to the point you have lost too much men to go on; then you'll have to restart the campaign.

Nils

I've been thinking about this problem and I think you could simulate it by limiting how many units you can give orders to per turn based on how badly things are going.

CM already simulates fear at the squad/crew level by giving units pinned/panic/broken status. This prevents the unit being controlled as easily as when it is not under the effects of fear.

At the commander level, a battle that starts to go badly is likely to induce fear of losing the battle, with associated fears about the shame of being responsible for a military disaster and the possibility of facing a court-marshall, as opposed to fear of being killed.

You could simulate this by reducing the number of units you can control. This is entirely realistic in my opinion. Fear at this level will tend to make it difficult for you to make quick decisions, and give you a tendency to focus on one part of the battlefield where the action is and neglect peripheral areas.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

I'd probably smash my computer with a sledgehammer and then shoot myself.

Would you also consider shooting Seanachai while you're at it? Just so that he wouldn't step into your jockey boots as a replacement...

The point is, I wouldn't want to remove the uncertainty.
So I suppose you're not enthralled by my idea of having Madmatt's voice daunt you based on your performance every time you start CM?

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

I'd probably smash my computer with a sledgehammer and then shoot myself.

Would you also consider shooting Seanachai while you're at it? Just so that he wouldn't step into your jockey boots as a replacement...</font>

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

Would you also consider shooting Seanachai while you're at it? Just so that he wouldn't step into your jockey boots as a replacement...

I sent an e-mail to Seanachai just the other day to check on whether he had drunk his way into oblivion yet and have so far received no reply from him. Maybe he's just sulking and won't speak to me. Or maybe he's anticipated your request and taken himself out.</font>