When is CM not CM?

Should CMx2 be called CM at all?

CC1-CC5 same then CC FTF is FPS?

C&C stayed the same, went FPS, then back again.

Steel Panthers stayed basically the same. If someone came out with a first person tank sim, would it be SP?

If BFC is going a different direction with the CM series, it should have a different name.

That might reduce the silly posts. ;)

TBH, I feel a drier name might help. Something like "Tactical simulator - WWII". I was looking for a game like CM for years but only knew to buy it from a review.

If it had a more descriptive name it would stand out of the mire of RTS's out there. It is a unique product, it needs a unique name.

We're all going to buy it anyway - lets give some other people out there a chance.

The name "Combat Mission" signifys, for most people, a high quality product. From a marketing standpoint, I think Battlefront would wish to continue using it. There is some confusion in the naming of the series so far in that CMBO is sometimes refered to as Combat Mission II, CMAK- Combat Mission III, so those names are out. Dare I suggest the new series be termed "Advanced Combat Mission" ?

Edit: Okay I'm not really serious but some other superlative would be appropriate.

[ February 12, 2005, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Sequoia ]

Originally posted by Other Means:

Something like "Tactical simulator - WWII".

That's very accurately descriptive and I like it for that. Unfortunately, the wider market might consider it rather colorless. Or maybe not, who can say?

I would suggest something like "Foxhole", except maybe that would be more appropriate for an FPS. "Company Firefight" would have been great for the original CM series, but it seems CMx2 intends to tackle something larger scale and somehow "Battalion Attack" just doesn't have quite the same visceral pull. If BFC intends to go to an even larger scale, I'd consider "Regimental Colors". That veritably drips with noble tradition and gallantry.

Michael

Originally posted by Sequoia:

There is some confusion in the naming of the series so far in that CMBO is sometimes refered to as Combat Mission II, CMAK- Combat Mission III, so those names are out.

Indeed. It was CMBB that was referred to as CM2. CMBO was rarely referred to as CM1, but never SFAIK as CMII. CMII was used for a while to designate what we now know as CMx2. Confused yet? The situation was made worse by individual posters making up their own abbreviations without first consulting standard practice. As you have just done.

;)

Michael

Im sure with the inclusion of anything from the dawn of time to Sci-fi that has been stated the games will have to be called something diffrent. Maybe TCS (Tac Combat Simulator). Then we could have TCS-Ancient War, TCS-Normandy, TCS-Mars etc etc....

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sequoia:

There is some confusion in the naming of the series so far in that CMBO is sometimes refered to as Combat Mission II, CMAK- Combat Mission III, so those names are out.

Indeed. It was CMBB that was referred to as CM2. CMBO was rarely referred to as CM1, but never SFAIK as CMII. CMII was used for a while to designate what we now know as CMx2. Confused yet? The situation was made worse by individual posters making up their own abbreviations without first consulting standard practice. As you have just done.

;)

Michael </font>

If we are getting correct here. I own the CDV versions and they go CM, CM2 - barberossa to berlin and CM3 Africa Corps. CDV also sell CM Anthology featuring all three. It must still be a popular title here in the UK as on Sat it was number 12 in the game charts...... An interseting aside is the price, they seem much cheaper here than in US. You can get CM for £2.99. The other two for under £10 and the Anthology for under £20. I take it CDV are not allowed to sell in US, but what about Canada etc? Or does BFC geta cut anyway regardless? And once patched the games are no diffrent to play either.