CMMOS for CMAK on its way?

Gurra

As far as I know there is no more development going on for CMMOS.

At some point even the CMMOS-compatible mods dried up.

There are some guys out there who know enough about how it works to add their own mods in and one of them has written a procedure on how to do it.

Last I heard it was pretty much a done deal that if you wanted something added you had to do it yourself.

There's certainly nothing going on in the CMMOS section at CMHQ.

I have modified CMMOS to work with the CMAK executable. MikeT was going to work on creating all the file listings that CMMOS uses to apply mods properly. Unfortunately he has been beset by a series of computer problems that have delayed him from completing this task. Once that's done, he'll be bundling everything up and posting it for download.

Gordon

Originally posted by Gordon:

I have modified CMMOS to work with the CMAK executable. MikeT was going to work on creating all the file listings that CMMOS uses to apply mods properly. Unfortunately he has been beset by a series of computer problems that have delayed him from completing this task. Once that's done, he'll be bundling everything up and posting it for download.

Gordon

Seems I have it all wrong then, so much the better. I hope the modders will jump back on the CMMOS train too.

Good news, that is.

By the way, why did people stop making CMMOS mods? Too much work and effort? I haven´t tried MCMMM, so I can´t compare, but as far as I know that application doesn´t need Rule sets. Anyway, I´m happy that a new CMMOS is coming.

Oh, I forgot to tell: I´m not sure who is concerned, if anyone, but I have CMMOSed quite a lot of mods and in the process discovered that the filelist for CMBB is incorrect in the buildings section. CMMOS won´t swap any winter buildings until you change ALL the bmp numbers for these in the appropriate .txt file. If I remember it correctly, all damaged and undamaged winter buildings start with either 65 or 66 as bmp number. No such numbers were found in the file lists. So if anyone is doing what I do, you might find this info interesting.

And while I´m on it: DD´s terrain for CMBB contains a error(unless it is fixed now, since the download I use probably is old). The zipped Rule for fall trees has an error, I believe it was a difference between the file name and the name you tell CMMOS to work with. This won´t be obvious if you press only the button to install all of DD's terrain.

The above mentioned problem applies to Gautrek's Russian Truck too.

It was a couple of months since I edited these mods, so if I´m wrong with any of this information, I apologize.

Regards

Gurra

[ February 21, 2004, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: Gurra ]

Originally posted by Gurra:

Good news, that is.

By the way, why did people stop making CMMOS mods? Too much work and effort?

My guess would be "limited audience".

If you are going to put all that effort into making a mod, you want everyone to be looking at it.

If it can only be installed by CMMOS, then only CMMOS users will use your mod. That rules out all those people who just want to unzip a zip file.

GaJ.

Gurra,

Thanks for the feedback on the errors, we'll see if we can incorporate them with the revision of CMMOS, assuming it does happen (see Survivor: CMMOS thread).

To answer your question of why there aren't more CMMOS mods lately? As someone who's been around since the dawn of CMBO and modding, CMMOS evolved to serve the needs of folks who wanted to coordinate changes across many different mods. E.g., Changing all your German vehicles from tri-color camouflage to ambush camouflage, and giving them all markings for the Hitlerjungen. Or changing all your winter allied vehicles from whitewashed to snow covered, and then adding aerial recognition panels, all with just a few clicks of the mouse.

It appears that the era of the big, mega mods as described above is past. How many total terrain mods are available for CMBB? For CMBO there had to be at least 6 different alternative terrain sets out there, each of which had their plusses and minuses, but damn it was nice to be able to switch between them. How many replacement building sets are there for CMBB and CMAK? For CMBO we had Magua's and Panzertruppen's and Tanks a Lot's (and maybe some others I'm forgetting off the top of my head). Modding tends to burn. folks out, and many of the modders who used to favor the types of mods that CMMOS enabled have dropped by the wayside.

Gordon

With all this talk of makeing up the file lists, why has Battlefront not just donated them. After all it is the mods that help sell and keep interest in the game. Or have I missed something here?

It would be nice to see CMMOS for CMAK and a few terrain sets as well.

But then I don't have to make them. But appreciate those who do.