1:1 Representation in CMx2

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me thought should be given as to what made CMx1 so popular. That being we were given the most ACCURATE simulation of company – battalion scale combat ever devised, while still being PLAYABLE.

Please don’t let us get caught up in the minutia of the trivial. It is a matter of sublime inconsequence trying to model such things as individual rounds of rifle ammunition, whether squad member A is a slightly better marksman than member B, or a medic treating blistered feet on the field of battle. More is not always better.

Not even a platoon commander can or should be bothered by some of proposals I’ve read and game scale of play goes up to regimental level. There has always been a tradeoff between detail, accuracy and playability, and to this point Battlefront has balanced this admirably

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Halberdiers:

I know dalem, it is a crazy idea maybe . But ...maybe , maybe... smile.gif

It's not a crazy idea - it's a bad idea.

-dale </font>

David - may I suggest Battle Chess?

The entertainment value - The Hound states this well, I think - is in the gameplay, not what the soldiers are doing.

The Hound forgets one very important thing - the 3d environment and visuals of little men running around. You can have gameplay on a 2d map. If that is all you are after, you and Hound find one of those games. I've seen screen shots from your games - I know visuals are not important to you.

But even though I have seen the little sprite throw a grenade 1000 times - it is still fun to watch sometimes. It would be even better to have a "battle chess" visual where GI Joe hits some German with his helmet.

btw, I agree with a lot of your complaints about people wanting too much control. But a visual script depicting close combat doesnt have anything to do with game play, and it doesnt have anything to do with 1:1 control.

If you want to talk about view six, start a new thread.

[ January 31, 2005, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: David Chapuis ]

Danger Will Robinson!!

This Thread is OVER 300 posts

and needs Moderator Attention soon or they tell

us something bad will happen?

I think thin is post 308 to this tread

Perhaps we can all move on

and start a clean Thread with REAL news

and less "noise" about this whole

1:1 representation thing

thanks

-tom w

Originally posted by David Chapuis:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hoolaman:

While I'm sure it won't run to 300 different martial arts moves, depicting close combat will be important in a 1:1 situation.

Why?

-dale </font>

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by David Chapuis:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hoolaman:

While I'm sure it won't run to 300 different martial arts moves, depicting close combat will be important in a 1:1 situation.

Why?

-dale </font>

Now this is a good point.

And of course there is the familiar Grog whine about - what exactly is "close combat" anyway? Point Blank Fire? Grenades? Rifle butts, bayonets, shovels and fists? All of the above? Should these all be "factored in" to a generic representation of close combat (as they are now). If so - what is the best way to portray it visually? If not - same question.

IMO, I would think that keeping the generic represenation (like they do now) for actually calculating the fight outcome would be the way to go. Then have a more detail visual (or two or three that it chooses from randomly depending on how hard the visuals are to make) that replaces the 'sprite throwing the grenade'. I remember reading in one of the manuals that they actually have sounds for hits with a rifle butt in CMx1. I dont see the problem with adding some visuals to go with that.

Is there an advantage in terms of effect to distinguishing between shovel combat and grenade combat?

I would definitely vote no on distinguishing shovel combat from karate.

You've been missing the point all along, haven't you. You started this thread by asking if we would have medical personnel treating the wounded.

At least then, you had the good sense to concede the point (well, duck the conversation altogether, really).

Part of the difference has been people - including myself- have been talking about two different things.

I never had visioned an actual medic that a player controls - I was misunderstood on that point I believe. I was just talking about what different visuals one could see when you had a casualty. One option would be to see a medic 'appear' and bandage somebody. A lot of work for no added playability - yes. So I dropped it, even though all it ever was intended to be was eye-candy.

I explained to you that medical personnel generally weren't up in the midst of a firefight and that wounded men were evacuated only as time permitted (generally not in the midst of a hot contact.)
However I still think that if a squad is exchanging fire at a hundred yards and a soldier gets hit, at least one of his buddies in real life is going to shoulder a rifle and help the guy for a bit. A good thing to portray from a game-play point of view. And now that 1:1 is being represented, it makes sense, IMO, to show it.

You continue to ask for things that have no bearing on the company or battalion battle without any understanding of why you're being told why your suggestions really aren't important at the scale CM is attempting to portray.

This statement is wrong on so many points, I wont even begin to respond to it.

[ January 31, 2005, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: David Chapuis ]

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

This Thread is OVER 300 posts

Oh really, Tom, what exactly is your source for this? I'm getting fed up with your strawman arguments. </font>

However I still think that if a squad is exchanging fire at a hundred yards and a soldier gets hit, at least one of his buddies in real life is going to shoulder a rifle and help the guy for a bit.

Based on what?

A good thing to portray from a game-play point of view. And now that 1:1 is being represented, it makes sense, IMO, to show it.
A game-play point of view? How so?

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

You continue to ask for things that have no bearing on the company or battalion battle without any understanding of why you're being told why your suggestions really aren't important at the scale CM is attempting to portray.

This statement is wrong on so many points, I wont even begin to respond to it. </font>

Part of the difference has been people - including myself- have been talking about two different things.

I never had visioned an actual medic that a player controls - I was misunderstood on that point I believe. I was just talking about what different visuals one could see when you had a casualty.

Begging your pardon but you were NOT misunderstood. That's me & Michael's point.

The graphic representation you describe is unnecessary for game play and arguably historically incorrect.

-dale

Shovel combat would be cool. Troops run out of grenades but the shovels just keep on giving. Elite German troops with the original Spaten should be unstoppable in melee. Those with the Klappspaten should receive a penalty until they are able to deploy their Klappspaten to combat configuration.

Originally posted by RMC:

Shovel combat would be cool. Troops run out of grenades but the shovels just keep on giving. Elite German troops with the original Spaten should be unstoppable in melee. Those with the Klappspaten should receive a penalty until they are able to deploy their Klappspaten to combat configuration.

Now that warms my heart. We will need mods to account for early war brown leather spade carriers, and late war black Press-Stoff carriers, too.

Mods, schmods. What's the effect on combat? The player needs to know which squad to send into melee, not Prince Harry's costume party. We're talking the difference between Assault Terminators and regular Space Marines.