Grant/Lee tank question

I am wondering what ammo loadout do you look at to determine how many rounds the 75mm cannon has used. I am talking about the ammo indicator at the bottom of the unit indicator when you click on them. I have watched over and over again my moves when using this tank and I have seen when either the 37mm gun and the 75mm gun fire only the first ammo loadout is affected. So how do you guys determine what gun they have been firing?

Originally posted by SpitfireXI:

Which is correct the H7, or the A7 as the hull mounted 75mm gun?

Both are correct. The letter designates the ammo type, so if will fire an A7 when it encounters an armored target that it feels the smaller turret mounted 37mm cannot kill. Same with the H7.

No, not hull down and in the video I can see the 75mm fire but then stop so they can fire three more 37 mm shots. Anyway I can make them stop wasting time with the door knockers and concentrate on the real gun?

Given the restricted space in the crew compartment, I don't think the turret loader/gunner can assist in loading the hull gun. 3.7cm use pretty small cartridges and thus can fire more often. Probably the 7.5cm crew is just busy re-loading. If the target is that big and need some 7.5cm ammo, a few additional 3.7cm rounds won't hurt ;) . They might even help in getting the range correct.

"Given the restricted space in the crew compartment, I don't think the turret loader/gunner can assist in loading the hull gun."

The Lee has a seven(!) man crew! yikes! So there's plenty of loaders to go around.

I haven't had problems with my Lees refusing to fire their 75mm guns. Actually, the Germans managed to run me out of 75mm ammo rather quickly a few games back. Sometimes I'd like them to discriminate a bit MORE!

I think I get it. The Grants are firing at Panzers and will keep firing 37mm rounds at it to help the 75mm gun, right? The reason I am asking is that every single hit that the 37mm makes on the panzers bounce right off or shatter. My gunners have been shooting this way for over three minutes now at around 400 meters I think.

Also, isn't that the whole deal with Matildas? They can keep getting hit but it never bothers them and they end up getting so close to kill your guns with m.g.'s

But the ratio of Matilda's armor vs the pentration capabilty of the early war Axis guns is greater than the Grant's 37mm gun vs most axis armor later in the war.

Your right, so I guess my question is how do you kill German tanks with a 37mm gun?

The PzIV has just 50mm frontal turret armor. A 37mm gun will penetrate at reasonable ranges. Same goes for PzIII without 70mm frontal turret armor.

50L60 will usually bounce from Lee frontal armor (exception is Tungsten rounds, but there aren't many). So the German PzIII has the same problem. The 75mm gun of the Lee can hurt the PzIII frontally. So the PzIII is inferior to the Lee in a H2H slug-it-out match.

PzIII and PzIV side or rear armor is pretty weak. A 37mm has a good chance to penetrate. So flanking is a good tactic.

Tanks are not meant to sit there and blast away. This is not the M1-Abrams in Iraq! There were only a few Ãœbertanks in WW2, and their Ãœber-Status was limited to a few month. Use all of your tanks like you would use the weakly armored marders or 75mm armed M3 HTs.

If you wanna see the weakness of the PzIII, play Frühlingwind as the Axis. Plus your only decent Lee-Killer is the Marder... a hammer with an eggshell.

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by MikeyD:

"Given the restricted space in the crew compartment, I don't think the turret loader/gunner can assist in loading the hull gun."

The Lee has a seven(!) man crew! yikes! So there's plenty of loaders to go around.

There are plenty of crewmen to stay in place. 7 men in a tank means little room to move for everyone. Tanks are not built that the crew has a convenient compartment where everybody roams around freely.

"The driver and radio operator occupied the front of the hull. The 75 mm gunner sat on the left of the gun. The 37 mm gunner, gun loader and commander were in the turret. " Grant at wwiivehicles.com.

Seems to me the 75mm gunner had no separate loader and with the loader located in the turret it is much slower to reload the 75mm than the 37mm gun.

Originally posted by Impudent Warwick:

Joachim, you only listed 6 men. Further down the page at your link it lists (2)loaders, so one must be for the 75.

Hmm... there are three kinds of people. Those who can count and those who can't.

I listed only 6 men. But it's a quote... And the crem number on that page says 6 men. Plus what you found: "Commander, driver, loaders(2), gunners(2)

M3: 6"

Probably the radio operator doubled as loader for the 75mm. Given his place in the front, this would make sense.

OTOH On War says 6 or 7 men. Guess the 7th would be a dedicated loader or MG gunner as there is no other job left. :confused:

Gruß

Joachim