shooting prisoners

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

Speaking of weird happenings, I just had a strange one in a PBEM with a Panther and a Stuart shooting at each other through a large light building. Both tanks were right up against the building on opposite sides and the building had heavy ** damage but was still standing. (Needless to say, the Stuart lost, though he scored several non-lethal hits before being knocked out) I'd never seen that before and thought it was impossible but maybe because of the heavy damage there were openings in the building that the tanks could shoot through???

No, there is an area around bulldings that can been see from the far side. Typically it is quite small (i.e., only extends a short distance out from the building), but it is not affected by the range at which the observer is viewing from.

In a recent PBEM the weirdness of this became apparent. I had an ATG several hundred metres away which was able to shoot through the building at a tank parked hard up against it, while the target tank could not see the gun. In fact, the tank couldn't see more than a few metres beyond the far side of the building in the direction of the gun.

This is totally counter-intuitive. An obsever close to an obstacle should be able to see through and beyond it quite well, while an observer far away shoulnd't be able to see very far past the 'near' face of it.

The only mitigating factor was that the gun had watched to tank move into position behind the building, so I can sort-of rationalise that 'he knew where it was'. The bright targetting line indicates that that wasn't what was going on though.

Regards

JonS

[ June 07, 2004, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back to prisoner subject, i just had my troops captured. they disappeared, then reappeared from time to time. never did i see the enemy troops. i dont think captured friendlys spot for you. one of my caps wandered away from his capturers and away from the battle. or he was ordered to by the a.i.

fyi

back to prisoner subject, i just had my troops captured. they disappeared, then reappeared from time to time. never did i see the enemy troops. i dont think captured friendlys spot for you. one of my caps wandered away from his capturers and away from the battle. or he was ordered to by the a.i.

fyi

Last night one of my squads dissapeared and then reapeared to capture a flag. I clicked on them and it mentioned they were unarmed. Despite that they not only captured the flag and captured a platoon HQ. I think the fact that a Matilda rolled right by 'unsurrenered' them and allowed them to capture the flag and enemy troops. But still really cool and strange.

Last night one of my squads dissapeared and then reapeared to capture a flag. I clicked on them and it mentioned they were unarmed. Despite that they not only captured the flag and captured a platoon HQ. I think the fact that a Matilda rolled right by 'unsurrenered' them and allowed them to capture the flag and enemy troops. But still really cool and strange.

Originally posted by Martyr:

I've seen troops shot down upon surrendering on several occasions. Every instance I can recall involves a unit throwing up its hands and being shot a second or two later. It seems that CM (intentionally or not) models a lag between the act of surrendering and the victor's decision to stop firing. This actually seems very realistic!

Yea I've seen that many times myself and agree that it's realistic. Generally happens when a unit tries to surrender under a hail of gunfire. The last time was during a battle against the British where one of my Halftracks bravely, but futiley, charged in behind the British infantry and starts shooting them up with its machine gun. It was targeted by practically every British soldier and tank in its vicinity and was soon abandoned. There were probably hundreds of bullets heading their way when the crew jumped out and surrendered so they were all killed instantly.

Originally posted by Martyr:

I've seen troops shot down upon surrendering on several occasions. Every instance I can recall involves a unit throwing up its hands and being shot a second or two later. It seems that CM (intentionally or not) models a lag between the act of surrendering and the victor's decision to stop firing. This actually seems very realistic!

Yea I've seen that many times myself and agree that it's realistic. Generally happens when a unit tries to surrender under a hail of gunfire. The last time was during a battle against the British where one of my Halftracks bravely, but futiley, charged in behind the British infantry and starts shooting them up with its machine gun. It was targeted by practically every British soldier and tank in its vicinity and was soon abandoned. There were probably hundreds of bullets heading their way when the crew jumped out and surrendered so they were all killed instantly.

• 2 weeks later...

In my limited experience I have learned a bit about taking and holding prisoners. You must have one semi-effective unit near a group of prisoners. Do not let large clumps of prisoners gather together. These two steps will go along way toward limiting breakouts by your enemy.

Other option is a couple rounds of mortar fire on a group you think might be getting into too much of a free area.

In my limited experience I have learned a bit about taking and holding prisoners. You must have one semi-effective unit near a group of prisoners. Do not let large clumps of prisoners gather together. These two steps will go along way toward limiting breakouts by your enemy.

Other option is a couple rounds of mortar fire on a group you think might be getting into too much of a free area.