shooting prisoners

here’s something weird (at least I thought so). early in a turn, a german hmg squad down to one guy surrenders. he sits there with his hands up for about 30 seconds or so then begins to crawl off. within 5 seconds after that he gets zapped. guys don’t “un-surrender” do they? probably just a stray round right?

this got me to thinking: what other weird, strange, funny, cool things have other people experienced on the cm battlefield?

one time a tiger took out two of my m8 greyhounds with one shot. I guess it went through the one then hit the other. I was a little miffed at first, but once I realized ‘yeah, it could really happen’ it was kind of cool.

other war stories?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here’s something weird (at least I thought so). early in a turn, a german hmg squad down to one guy surrenders. he sits there with his hands up for about 30 seconds or so then begins to crawl off. within 5 seconds after that he gets zapped. guys don’t “un-surrender” do they? probably just a stray round right?

this got me to thinking: what other weird, strange, funny, cool things have other people experienced on the cm battlefield?

one time a tiger took out two of my m8 greyhounds with one shot. I guess it went through the one then hit the other. I was a little miffed at first, but once I realized ‘yeah, it could really happen’ it was kind of cool.

other war stories?

Originally posted by Kobal2:

Uh ? I thought prisonners were unarmed whenever they surrendered ?

So did I, maybe they reman the HMG. The other possibility is that it was a FOW result - never really prisoners?

Anyway, I was pretty ticked at the perfidious Hun - it was CMBB by the way.

Originally posted by Kobal2:

Uh ? I thought prisonners were unarmed whenever they surrendered ?

So did I, maybe they reman the HMG. The other possibility is that it was a FOW result - never really prisoners?

Anyway, I was pretty ticked at the perfidious Hun - it was CMBB by the way.

I had a game just lately where I had a sniper in some woods, an enemy squad 12 rifle men aproached and were cut down to 4 men by mg`s before they got to woods when they did my sniper killed all 4 with a pistol. I suppose becose he never used ammo. I thought it was funny.

Another time my sniper was walked over by some troops and there platoon leader stoped 3 meters to his front/leaders front, he was there 30 secs before they seen him the sniper was crack and in brush. He sadly passed away this time. We never recovered body either poor soul and I forget the poor chaps name (wipes tear) .....anyways smile.gif

I had a game just lately where I had a sniper in some woods, an enemy squad 12 rifle men aproached and were cut down to 4 men by mg`s before they got to woods when they did my sniper killed all 4 with a pistol. I suppose becose he never used ammo. I thought it was funny.

Another time my sniper was walked over by some troops and there platoon leader stoped 3 meters to his front/leaders front, he was there 30 secs before they seen him the sniper was crack and in brush. He sadly passed away this time. We never recovered body either poor soul and I forget the poor chaps name (wipes tear) .....anyways smile.gif

Sicily 43 - Night

An Italian LMG squad opened up on a Brit Platoon doing some damage a short range, then became a Axis sign. I "area" fired a Vickers Machine gun on his position. In the next action phase the Italian takes fire from the Platoon, and from the Vickers and throws up his hands. A Brit Platoon leader (Panicked) crawls right toward his position and the Vickers proceeds to gun down the rest of the surrendering Italians and causes two friendly fire casualties to the Platoon leader. Very Dramatic. Very Sad. Lesson: Watch that area fire!

Sicily 43 - Night

An Italian LMG squad opened up on a Brit Platoon doing some damage a short range, then became a Axis sign. I "area" fired a Vickers Machine gun on his position. In the next action phase the Italian takes fire from the Platoon, and from the Vickers and throws up his hands. A Brit Platoon leader (Panicked) crawls right toward his position and the Vickers proceeds to gun down the rest of the surrendering Italians and causes two friendly fire casualties to the Platoon leader. Very Dramatic. Very Sad. Lesson: Watch that area fire!

Originally posted by bruceb:

No, it can't happen in CM. Probably just fog of war so you couldn't tell what killed the other one, or maybe the Tiger used HE and the blast also took out the other Grayhound (they're open topped).

Originally posted by bruceb:

No, it can't happen in CM. Probably just fog of war so you couldn't tell what killed the other one, or maybe the Tiger used HE and the blast also took out the other Grayhound (they're open topped).

Playing Tottensontag two player pbem is pretty cool...

I'm playing it with Tooz right now.. I think we are about half way through, and it has been the most interesting battle i've ever had... so many tactical options! I think we might attempt to do a joint AAR for it... but it will be bloody long, and there have been three or four separate battles within the battle!

Anyone else played that one?

Playing Tottensontag two player pbem is pretty cool...

I'm playing it with Tooz right now.. I think we are about half way through, and it has been the most interesting battle i've ever had... so many tactical options! I think we might attempt to do a joint AAR for it... but it will be bloody long, and there have been three or four separate battles within the battle!

Anyone else played that one?

Originally posted by flamingknives:

If you set off a sufficently large brew-up, the explosion is often sufficient to take out nearby light vehicles.

Yeah, in a game I was playing a few months ago, my StuH42 took out two M-10s that were side by side with one shot.

My opponent was not amused.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

If you set off a sufficently large brew-up, the explosion is often sufficient to take out nearby light vehicles.

Yeah, in a game I was playing a few months ago, my StuH42 took out two M-10s that were side by side with one shot.

My opponent was not amused.

I've 're-patriated' a couple of my own surrendered units before, and they showed up as "unarmed". I'm not sure if they were MG units, so I don't know if that's a factor? What can be done with your own units that 'un-surrender', besides saving points at the end? No way to re-arm them, I suppose?

And I don't think there are fake FOW surrenders, as you should be able to give surrendered enemy units movement orders, so its certainly verifiable.

I've 're-patriated' a couple of my own surrendered units before, and they showed up as "unarmed". I'm not sure if they were MG units, so I don't know if that's a factor? What can be done with your own units that 'un-surrender', besides saving points at the end? No way to re-arm them, I suppose?

And I don't think there are fake FOW surrenders, as you should be able to give surrendered enemy units movement orders, so its certainly verifiable.

I hate prisoners. Get in the way. I had an entire squad of Zeallander troops surrender because the were surrounded. Soon enough about 2 turns later the opened up on my command plt. Could't believe it. So now. When I get them-- If their close I will walk them into a building with a mortor, they won't "un-surrender," but if not, I walk them into a crossfire between me and the enemy. I know it sounds kind of Barabaric but it gets rid of a problem real quick.

-Tigerkommandant

Josef Strausse

I hate prisoners. Get in the way. I had an entire squad of Zeallander troops surrender because the were surrounded. Soon enough about 2 turns later the opened up on my command plt. Could't believe it. So now. When I get them-- If their close I will walk them into a building with a mortor, they won't "un-surrender," but if not, I walk them into a crossfire between me and the enemy. I know it sounds kind of Barabaric but it gets rid of a problem real quick.

-Tigerkommandant

Josef Strausse

I've never had a situation where surrendered troops suddenly "unsurrender" and open fire on my men. Never. In every case they have been unarmed and even when they get close enough to a command unit to "unsurrender", they've remained unarmed.

I just take them and walk them towards the back of the battlefield. If I have a crewman sitting around doing nothing, I aim them in his direction.

Never had a problem.