Most prisoner taken mid battle?

This is just a poll I guess, but I'm curious to see. Whats the most prisoners you've taken mid-battle (CMAK or CMBB)?

I did a 2000 attack QB with a friend on a rather large map (1 mile in both directions). I lumped everything in one deployment zone. It was snowy with snow on the ground. Anyways, as I approached his positions his men started to give up. Not unusual - I was hitting them at weird angles, sorta surrounding them. Then it got weird - more and more kept surrendering, and I wasn't even close to them. One of his squads actually routed, ran towards my men then surrendered. I thought it was my tanks causing surrendering at first but they weren't getting credit for the captures, my infantry was (wouldn't make sense anyways - he had plenty of AT including 2 Stugs nearby).

In the end, I captured over 50 of his men. I had a chain gang guarded by a platoon of my men, it was absolutely ridiculous. Most of his platoons didn't even fire a round, they gave up before I spotted them.

This is just a poll I guess, but I'm curious to see. Whats the most prisoners you've taken mid-battle (CMAK or CMBB)?

I did a 2000 attack QB with a friend on a rather large map (1 mile in both directions). I lumped everything in one deployment zone. It was snowy with snow on the ground. Anyways, as I approached his positions his men started to give up. Not unusual - I was hitting them at weird angles, sorta surrounding them. Then it got weird - more and more kept surrendering, and I wasn't even close to them. One of his squads actually routed, ran towards my men then surrendered. I thought it was my tanks causing surrendering at first but they weren't getting credit for the captures, my infantry was (wouldn't make sense anyways - he had plenty of AT including 2 Stugs nearby).

In the end, I captured over 50 of his men. I had a chain gang guarded by a platoon of my men, it was absolutely ridiculous. Most of his platoons didn't even fire a round, they gave up before I spotted them.

Were they Conscripts? I had lots of Italians & some Germans surrender in my playtesting of Primosole Bridge, but I kinda expected that.

Units that feel they are surrounded and outgunned should start to wonder about discretion/valor type issues.

David I

Were they Conscripts? I had lots of Italians & some Germans surrender in my playtesting of Primosole Bridge, but I kinda expected that.

Units that feel they are surrounded and outgunned should start to wonder about discretion/valor type issues.

David I

Played the battle Trig 29, hotseat against my father. I was the Germans and he was the Australians. I hit him from one side with the Italians and from another with the Germans with hard concentrated strikes. I took 86 prisoners with having hole squads that took no casualties surrender. Most I've ever seen.

- Guderian

Played the battle Trig 29, hotseat against my father. I was the Germans and he was the Australians. I hit him from one side with the Italians and from another with the Germans with hard concentrated strikes. I took 86 prisoners with having hole squads that took no casualties surrender. Most I've ever seen.

- Guderian

Originally posted by David I:

David I

Thats what was weird, they were all regulars. So it was a mix of Green, Regular and Veteran troops. I think the Vets held out longer but overall the surrendering was very influencial, ie. big chain reactions.

Originally posted by Guderian129:

- Guderian

Funny that you should mention that you used two countries - I did the same thing in my battle. I had half brits, half americans. Maybe its something to do with that?

[ June 08, 2004, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: securityguard ]

Originally posted by David I:

David I

Thats what was weird, they were all regulars. So it was a mix of Green, Regular and Veteran troops. I think the Vets held out longer but overall the surrendering was very influencial, ie. big chain reactions.

Originally posted by Guderian129:

- Guderian

Funny that you should mention that you used two countries - I did the same thing in my battle. I had half brits, half americans. Maybe its something to do with that?

[ June 08, 2004, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: securityguard ]

Once, I took 32 soviet prisoners in a 2000pts CMBB Att/Def.

These guys were all cut off from their HQ, which probably explain why they surrendered.

In CMAK scenario "TF Stark" I also captured 25 american soldiers (once again, mostly green troops or crewmen; isolated)

It is very useful through the victory points they give.

Paulus

Once, I took 32 soviet prisoners in a 2000pts CMBB Att/Def.

These guys were all cut off from their HQ, which probably explain why they surrendered.

In CMAK scenario "TF Stark" I also captured 25 american soldiers (once again, mostly green troops or crewmen; isolated)

It is very useful through the victory points they give.

Paulus

I just had a similar experience last night. Playing that early 1940 battle against the Italians whole squads of men would charge then surrender. It actually became a worry for me with so many POW. At the end I had more POW's than infantry and had to use damaged Matildas to watch over them. I thought it was strange but then again they were mainly Italian conscripts versus regulat Indian infantry.

I just had a similar experience last night. Playing that early 1940 battle against the Italians whole squads of men would charge then surrender. It actually became a worry for me with so many POW. At the end I had more POW's than infantry and had to use damaged Matildas to watch over them. I thought it was strange but then again they were mainly Italian conscripts versus regulat Indian infantry.

Has anyone else noticed prisoners sometimes seem to move of their own volition? I prefer keeping the blighters under guard just in case...

Impressed with the numbers surrounded and captured- I normally can't resist putting the boot in and shooting at them!

Has anyone else noticed prisoners sometimes seem to move of their own volition? I prefer keeping the blighters under guard just in case...

Impressed with the numbers surrounded and captured- I normally can't resist putting the boot in and shooting at them!

I notice CMAK units are -much- more inclined to surrender than their predesescors. All you need is a good tank rush and they give up. I just did a Crete battle where I rushed a Fallshirmjager position with three New Zealander light tanks, pinning down and knocking out their two ATG's, and surrounding the German infantry. Pretty much all of them surrendered.

I notice CMAK units are -much- more inclined to surrender than their predesescors. All you need is a good tank rush and they give up. I just did a Crete battle where I rushed a Fallshirmjager position with three New Zealander light tanks, pinning down and knocking out their two ATG's, and surrounding the German infantry. Pretty much all of them surrendered.

Possible spoiler:

I overran in "High Tide at Thala" British positions, and captured about 93 of them during the clean up of the pass and the orchards next to the street. My advance was slow and methodical, mainly because it was a night scenario. I think the combination of firepower concentration and the early possesion of a Victory flag helped to cause this situation.

Possible spoiler:

I overran in "High Tide at Thala" British positions, and captured about 93 of them during the clean up of the pass and the orchards next to the street. My advance was slow and methodical, mainly because it was a night scenario. I think the combination of firepower concentration and the early possesion of a Victory flag helped to cause this situation.

There are numerious factors to be concerned with-for one the experience of the troops, but also their "fanaticism" levels, range from HQ, where the enemy is hitting them, what they're hitting them with and so forth. CMAK does the "mental" aspects of combat much better than its predecessors-think about it, if you were sitting in a field and suddenly a platton of tanks come roaring in with MG's and guns firing, probably support fire coming in from MG positions, mortars and artillery, and then you had infantry coming at you close quarters, if you were a run of the mill WW2 conscript would you really stand there and die?

I think more likely you would ask yourself "Where is old Adolf/Joe/Winnie now? Probably off enjoying a good nights rest!"-franksly under such circumstances I don't think too many units would last it out long unless they were fanatics, very experienced or well dug in/with good support.

There are numerious factors to be concerned with-for one the experience of the troops, but also their "fanaticism" levels, range from HQ, where the enemy is hitting them, what they're hitting them with and so forth. CMAK does the "mental" aspects of combat much better than its predecessors-think about it, if you were sitting in a field and suddenly a platton of tanks come roaring in with MG's and guns firing, probably support fire coming in from MG positions, mortars and artillery, and then you had infantry coming at you close quarters, if you were a run of the mill WW2 conscript would you really stand there and die?

I think more likely you would ask yourself "Where is old Adolf/Joe/Winnie now? Probably off enjoying a good nights rest!"-franksly under such circumstances I don't think too many units would last it out long unless they were fanatics, very experienced or well dug in/with good support.