Most prisoner taken mid battle?

true-there were many incidents of units holding out against insurmountable odds-for instance during the battle of stalingrad the 48th panzer corps came up against a dig in unit of Russian troops in a sort of a dry lakebed (common on the steppe) who refused to give up until a concerted assault was launched at them-it later emerged that there were a thousand men in the position, completely cut off and eating grass for their rations. Such occurances while strainge are quite common on a small scale.

For instance in a game of CM I'm playing I had regular SS units who broke under the initial assault but now that the squads are down to 5 and 2 men they are stiffening and battleing off entire squads of GI's-I put it down to the fact that the remaining troops are the fanatics in the squad and so now fight better.

It is however rare for any unit above divisional strenght to hold out for a long period such as with the 101st airbourne during the adrennes offencive-usually with entire armies one group begins to panic and give up, thus both affecting the other units and also opening holes in the line with cannot be sealed leading the a general rout.

true-there were many incidents of units holding out against insurmountable odds-for instance during the battle of stalingrad the 48th panzer corps came up against a dig in unit of Russian troops in a sort of a dry lakebed (common on the steppe) who refused to give up until a concerted assault was launched at them-it later emerged that there were a thousand men in the position, completely cut off and eating grass for their rations. Such occurances while strainge are quite common on a small scale.

For instance in a game of CM I'm playing I had regular SS units who broke under the initial assault but now that the squads are down to 5 and 2 men they are stiffening and battleing off entire squads of GI's-I put it down to the fact that the remaining troops are the fanatics in the squad and so now fight better.

It is however rare for any unit above divisional strenght to hold out for a long period such as with the 101st airbourne during the adrennes offencive-usually with entire armies one group begins to panic and give up, thus both affecting the other units and also opening holes in the line with cannot be sealed leading the a general rout.

"I notice CMAK units are -much- more inclined to surrender"

...and un-surrender when your back is turned! ;)

I don't recall captured unit in CMBB slipping away at the first opportunity like they sometimes do in CMAK. I thought in CMBB (like in CMBO) the captured unit had to fall under direct control of one of their HQ units to be taken back. That rule seems* to be a bit loosened in CMAK.

"I notice CMAK units are -much- more inclined to surrender"

...and un-surrender when your back is turned! ;)

I don't recall captured unit in CMBB slipping away at the first opportunity like they sometimes do in CMAK. I thought in CMBB (like in CMBO) the captured unit had to fall under direct control of one of their HQ units to be taken back. That rule seems* to be a bit loosened in CMAK.

In a recent CMBB battle, I had pretty much routed the Soviets, who were streaming to the nearest map edge to escape. As I moved two platoons of infantry towards the cowering, routed Soviet squads, they began surrendering in large numbers (about fifty guys inside of three turns).

On the flip side, I was recently defending against a German Probe in Italy with Veteran, Crack and Elite British Engineers. I got a little cocky and ran a PIAT unit (with an infantry platoon as guard) forward into an empty forest area to get a flank shot on some Panzers pinning my other flank down.

I got up to the area and made a couple of shots. Turn ends. I wonder whether I should withdraw, but figure I have one more turn before I have to scram. Oops.

That turn, three German infantry platoons attacked my flank. The Piat was quickly killed, and I took pretty nasty casualties (about 1/3 of the unit down in one minute). The next turn, another german infantry platoon arrived. One of my squads broke and routed back to my lines (losing eight men in the progress), the others fought for another twenty seconds or so, then surrendered. Crack, Eilte and Veteran units surrendered (a total of twnety-four prisoners)!

Two of the thirty-six men who marched forward returned. Ouch.

Steve

In a recent CMBB battle, I had pretty much routed the Soviets, who were streaming to the nearest map edge to escape. As I moved two platoons of infantry towards the cowering, routed Soviet squads, they began surrendering in large numbers (about fifty guys inside of three turns).

On the flip side, I was recently defending against a German Probe in Italy with Veteran, Crack and Elite British Engineers. I got a little cocky and ran a PIAT unit (with an infantry platoon as guard) forward into an empty forest area to get a flank shot on some Panzers pinning my other flank down.

I got up to the area and made a couple of shots. Turn ends. I wonder whether I should withdraw, but figure I have one more turn before I have to scram. Oops.

That turn, three German infantry platoons attacked my flank. The Piat was quickly killed, and I took pretty nasty casualties (about 1/3 of the unit down in one minute). The next turn, another german infantry platoon arrived. One of my squads broke and routed back to my lines (losing eight men in the progress), the others fought for another twenty seconds or so, then surrendered. Crack, Eilte and Veteran units surrendered (a total of twnety-four prisoners)!

Two of the thirty-six men who marched forward returned. Ouch.

Steve