CMBO's replacement announced - can AK's be far off?

Guest Mike

DT-WW2 will evolve over time, covering different theaters of combat at different points in the war. The initial setting will be the hectic battles in Normandy during the summer of 1944.
Drop Team WW2 announced - looks like CMBO's replacement, and the other 2 in good time too I dare say....

Drop Team WW2 announced - looks like CMBO's replacement, and the other 2 in good time too I dare say....
Not so much a replacement for CMBO, given its vastly different game-play. Honestly, Theater of War is far more in line for that honour, given its focus on formations and orchestrated attack/defense.

DT-WWII is more focused on gunnery and movement of one or two units at a time while giving more overall commands to bots. Quite fun in its own grounds, mind you, and the WWII-units should be intriguing (but, sadly, no ion infantry with jetpacks).

But where does that leave the modding, scenario designer, pbem commuinity?

Will everyone jump ship to something else or will things remain as they are ... incorprating the new things and keeping the old?

But at the same time giving each a good share of the mods, scenarios and the people playing pbem

I'll be playing CMBB/CMAK and will be designing scenarios for them for as long as I have a rig that can play them. So far, none of the products that are being talked about comes even close to being a replacement for me, based on what I read, and that includes CMx2.

All the best

Andreas

Originally posted by Andreas:

I'll be playing CMBB/CMAK and will be designing scenarios for them for as long as I have a rig that can play them. So far, none of the products that are being talked about comes even close to being a replacement for me, based on what I read, and that includes CMx2.

Someone frame those words and mail them to Andreas, please. He should be able to gaze upon them in the years to come, yea even unto his very old age, and ponder.

:D

Michael

All the best

Andreas

Am glad to see such words smile.gif

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andreas:

Someone frame those words and mail them to Andreas, please. He should be able to gaze upon them in the years to come, yea even unto his very old age, and ponder.

:D

Michael </font>

All the best

Andreas

I fully agree. At the moment I'm only looking forward to Medieval Total War 2. The rest is hardly of any interest to me. CMBB/CMAK will be on my pc til the end of times.

Aragorn2002,

In terms of sheer breadth of gaming coverage, there won't be a CMBB/CMAK ever again from BFC, but some other game firm may be crazy enough to try it. Given that every single attempt to copy or mimic the CM sysyem has failed miserably, I don't see much likelihood for that approach, either.

Here's hoping, though, that the depth and richness of play in the forthcoming CMX2 WW II modular games, not to mention all the other juicy game development possibilities inherent in a designed for flexibility and rapidly reconfigurable new engine, give you some other attractive gaming options as well. Given your expected play duration for CMBB/CMAK, though, may I suggest buying a bunch of reserve copies and at least one backup rig?

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Given your expected play duration for CMBB/CMAK, though, may I suggest buying a bunch of reserve copies and at least one backup rig?

You may, John, you may. I have three original and paid copies of CMBO, CMBB and CMAK ;)and lots of backups of the mods and scenarios I've downloaded through the years.

And at the moment I'm playing the latest diabolical battle of that wicked Scotsman, George MC, which will probably cost me at least a week to get a victory out of it. That detailed briefing on how to attack should have been a warning to me...

I love this game. ;)

"Me too".

It's a shame that BFC didn't think that there was easier money in a CMx1 II (as it were), an improved, tweaked, add-too CMx1. Rather than thinking a new engine with much (much) reduced game-scope was the way to go.

(I know BFC says "yeah, but wait 'till you see CMx2").

"Civilisation", a game equally excellent and equally dependent on it's scope and range for it's addictiveness, is in it's fourth sucessfull iteration. Would have been nice if CMx1 could have gone the same way.

I also can't seem to play anything else for long except the CMBO trilogy and SPWAW (mega campaigns) and WinSPWAW anymore. No other games live up to the calibur of play those two series do. Most especially anything real time or rtslike.

The only other game(s) I'm really looking forward to from BFC are CM Campaigns. And then CM Afrika Campaigns and then CM Overlord Campaigns. CMSF I have no interest in at all except looking at some graphics and maybe a trailer/demo. No matter though how good it looks I won't buy into hypothetical futuristic warfare games. We have enough kiddie games on the market as there is.

Originally posted by Paul AU:

It's a shame that BFC didn't think that there was easier money in a CMx1 II (as it were), an improved, tweaked, add-too CMx1. Rather than

"Civilisation", a game equally excellent and equally dependent on it's scope and range for it's addictiveness, is in it's fourth sucessfull iteration. Would have been nice if CMx1 could have gone the same way.

Yes, that's also what puzzles me. Never change a winning team. With some improvements on the graphics and the AI a CMx1 II (as it were) would still score much better than anything they are planning now. And they would be assured of lots of customers, namely us. Ah well, so be it.