Best showing for a single squad

Pirx

What is your record for most number of kills by a single squad? I was inspired to post because of the "best showing for off-map artillery" thread.

For me, it came in a game I just played. It was a Kasserine pass scenario by Rune. I was playing the defending Americans against the AI, with an experience and personnel bonus for the AI. As usual, the AI had trouble coordinating a combined arms attack and it ended up rushing 1-2 companies of unsupported infantry against against three of my American squads entrenched on the slope of a small hill. After the battle, I found that one of my regular American 1942 rifle squads had 73 kills!

I really have to stop playing single player scenarios with the AI attacking, it's too easy.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

It was in the most beautiful reverse-slope position imaginable against a horde of conscript Russian partisans.

It was 141 - I found the screenshot. It was also green Romanians.

Fear the Romanians

Although if you thought that was impressive...

Holy Cow!! And the Tank Hunters still had 10 bullets left!!

Sweet, my post spawned another....

I haven't gotten over 100 for a squad. I know i've seen 31 ICs for a single squad, and i remember one of my Soviet infantry platoons pretty much gutted at least a reinforced German rifle company; it was in that mission where the Russians are defending a hill, and there're trees around the border...well, one of my squads showed up at the edge, and i just decided to have them go one way, instead of reinforcing my hilltop position, and they got into a horrid firefight in the forest.

As for single squad, the best i can remember is 31, like i said.

Now, i'm wondering for the absurdly high ones, how often that squad fired on low ammo....

• 2 weeks later...
Origionally posted by Pirx

After the battle, I found that one of my regular American 1942 rifle squads had 73 kills!

I still remember having a single Jagar 42 Squad produce 72 infantry casualties in a quick battle once, (back when I was a neebie) about thirty of which were achieved after it became low on ammo. It kept shooting twice or trice a minute and threw a few grenades while hiding in a light one story building with a 40 metre covered arch. If it wasn't for the snow absorbing some of the exposive it would have down better, I think.

That 141 ic/kills for that Roumanian Cav squad is amazing and bloody beautiful too since I like going the Roumanians. However I've never had an Infantry squad break 100 kills to my knowledge though, HMG teams for sure of course but I'll look out for a case of it. It's a challenge!

All the same I like to have a number of squads get 30 to 45 kills and then I know that I've defended well rather than just one alone fighting for its existance... ;)

One bazooka killing 5 Panthers is impressive. My AT team record was 3 IS-2s with a Panzerschrek. A Panther of mine was dueling with the IS-2s, and my Panzerschrek snuck around to the side. While the IS-2s destroy my Panther, the Panzerschrek picks them off, one by one. I don't think my opponent ever saw the Schrek until it was too late - he thought the fire was coming from the Panther.

I had a battle once, TCP/IP, where about two battalions of Russians smashed into a very thin trench line of Finnish troops. I sent in about two platoons to reinforce, threw in artillery, and 20 turns of horrific fighting later the Russians were routed.

After that nearly -every- surviving Finnish unit on the line had between 40 and 60 kills.

300+ for a vet GE PzGr '41 squad that started with 60% of ammo. Some scen of the BCR Kiev pack (factory map), GE defender at 100% strength with combined arms vs Soviet paras inf only at 100% bonus. Guess some 3 plts.

One lone PzGr plt with some Romanian teams in assitance defending my sole outpost to stop the AI from coming down on my vehicles in a perimeter of the main force further back

It was night, foggy, viz at 30m or sumfink and the Soviet AI tried to rush across wire and minefield.

The wire went across a road and ended at a burning trees hex. In the AAR screen it was hard to distinguish the red eliminated markers at the end of the wire.

The other squads in the plt performed in the same league. 1000+ kills from mines, a lone tank that retreated quickly and 2 or 3 Romanian teams that acted as OPs guarding the line of retreat. Rest of troops did not see any action.

The plt performed an orderly withdrawal and had just managed to break contact when the battle ended. Almost no losses.

Glad the Soviet FTs were too slow and never joined the battle.

Gruß

Joachim