Can't play on my G5

I can't get my CMBO to play on my new G5. It gets to "loading graphics and stops) I see from another post that others are haveing the same problem on Imacs and you need to find a old os 9 system and install it in start up to get the game to work. Is this true? If it is i guess my days of playing CM are over, and I have been playing since it first came out and am a BOB member. Good thing I have not ordered any new CM games yet.

I hope someone from Battlefront will respond to this post.

Originally posted by Sanman maui:

I can't get my CMBO to play on my new G5. It gets to "loading graphics and stops) I see from another post that others are haveing the same problem on Imacs and you need to find a old os 9 system and install it in start up to get the game to work. Is this true? If it is i guess my days of playing CM are over, and I have been playing since it first came out and am a BOB member. Good thing I have not ordered any new CM games yet.

I hope someone from Battlefront will respond to this post.

None of the CM games will run under OSX (classic or otherwise. You must have a computer that can boot in OS9x. Since G5's will not run OS9x as a boot disk there is no point in even trying to buy an old copy of OS9x.

To Quote Moon this is why

Because Apple decided pretty much at the last minute of developing OS X to pull full Rave 3D (which is the API the CM games were coded to run under) support we will not be able to natively support it until we completely rewrite the game from the ground up. We expect that to take about 2 years of development time.

We are not thrilled by this either but Apple is the one that decided to no longer support Rave 3D properly with no prior warning to us, a registered Apple Software Developer.

Unfortunately since Apple no longer fully supports Rave3D in OS-X and they support it very poorly in Classic mode none of the CM games *officially* supported at all in OS-X.

snip

With our next major engine rebuild (code named CMX2) we will natively support OS-X via OpenGl, but that will not be out until 2005 at the earliest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martin

As big of a fan of Apple that I am

I really believe it was Apple that Dropped the Ball

and BFC pretty much got hosed

That's not true about them being backwards compatible. I've read in the CMAK forum that someone created a program that will convert maps from one CM to another .. with only minor problems, depending on what tile was being transfer to another.

But with cmx2 it may not even use tiles!! a fully customizable 3d terain i don't think would be backward compatible with the current cm games. only time will tell.

Originally posted by MouseBert:

It would be nice if CMX2 was backward compatible to allow the current CM scenarios to be played. I wonder what the chances of that occurring?

Personally I’d prefer CMX2 to be clean and not too cluttered with any extra baggage to support previous versions (even if this were possible). The CM community seems repleat with individuals who love to convert scenarios and update them. That way you would end up with new versions of the scenarios and not just cludgy conversions done within the application itself.

I can just imagine the agnst generated because say a CMBO file opened in CMX2 handle bocage differently to CMBO or indeed a native CMX2 file.

Originally posted by wamphyri:

That's not true about them being backwards compatible. I've read in the CMAK forum that someone created a program that will convert maps from one CM to another .. with only minor problems, depending on what tile was being transfer to another.

But with cmx2 it may not even use tiles!! a fully customizable 3d terain i don't think would be backward compatible with the current cm games. only time will tell.

The scenario files can be converted, but you cannot add the improvements of CMAK to CMBO for example. That is what I mean when I say not backward compatible