Canister shoots guys out of LOS

Did a search on "canister" in CMAK and nothing came up, so I thought I'd post this.

In a recent game, my US Sherman was 220m away from a 250/9 German halftrack (the one with the short-barrelled 75mm gun that can fire canister). Neither of us had line of sight to each other.

However, about 70m from my Sherman, along that very same line of sight, was a hapless bunch of broken Allied boys in a crater, hanging on for dear life. The boys were right on the ridge of the crest, about 150m from the German halftrack. So the halftrack fired canister at them, and while it had no further ill effect on my already broken boys, the canister round shocked the unbuttoned Sherman commander on the other side of the crest line.

When you replay it from side on, and other angles, you can see the canister losing speed and "falling downhill" in a slight curve after it passes the crest line.

What I don't know, and would like to know, is what is the range of canister? Was I just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and if I was 50m further back it wouldn't have affected me? That's how it looked to me.

I don't think CM models ballistic/physics that far... but I may be mistaken.

Maybe the canister just blew away a couple of those infantry boys, and the Sherman crew saw that, hence the bad morale effect ? What's the Sherman's quality : Green/Reg/Vet ?

I remember reading somewhere here that it was not the case, and that basically the game checked wether it was a hit or miss (proba roll, probably), then calculated the error at random, adding the flight path between the tank and the impact point afterwards as mere eye candy.

Sgt Kelly

That must be it, because your comment reminded me about an old CMBO game where one of my AFV missed shots against an enemy AFV took out my opponent's artillery spotter, who just happened to be on the next hill behind his own AFV, in some woods. I had completely forgotten about that occurrence until then.

Kobal2: the AFV was regular. The canister coming through on a downwards trajectory is easy to see (actually looks quite cool :cool: )

Kobal2, there's two different things here. An AP shell that has missed won't hit another vehicle, not even if the trajectory would go through one. But all shells, even AP, fall down at some point, and there they can cause casualties or drop of moral to any soft targets based on their blast value just like if that point was an area target. That includes unbuttoned tank crews.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, is there a way to know/evaluate the suppression/firepower value of an AP shell ? I believe the blast radius listed in the tank's detail is for HE only, right ? So what if this bigass 105mm Sherman has only AP left yet is used to shoot at infantry, does it have any effect whatsoever, or is it 100% wasted ammo ?

Redwolf

The original poster was not confused at all, thank you very much! It was canister. A whole bunch of little pellets spraying out like buckshot. How you can jump to that conclusion I do not know, but you are incorrect.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

I think, graphical display aside, that canister is modelled as a 'danger area', not unlike an explosive blast, that travels down a ballistic curve. If the area(volume?) passes over units other than the target, they get hit too.

I agree.You will also note that the canister shot spreads out as it travels further away from the gun.Also,to bring the limited effective range into play,its drops in altitude(I think).

Revs,

You cant post any screenies? :please:

Originally posted by REVS:

Redwolf

The original poster was not confused at all, thank you very much! It was canister. A whole bunch of little pellets spraying out like buckshot. How you can jump to that conclusion I do not know, but you are incorrect.

You said "the canister round". There is no single round in the graphical representation of canister in CMBB and CMAK.

Hey Redwolf, that's just semantics gone mad! :rolleyes:

I reckon if you loose off a blast of canister at some schmo, you're entitled to call it a "canister round". That doesn't mean I think the canister is 'round', it means I think each blast is 'a round' of ammo!

Anyway, doubting wolf, go check your email, I sent you the game turn so you could see the event for yourself.

Cheers

REVS

Originally posted by Kobal2:

Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, is there a way to know/evaluate the suppression/firepower value of an AP shell ? I believe the blast radius listed in the tank's detail is for HE only, right ? So what if this bigass 105mm Sherman has only AP left yet is used to shoot at infantry, does it have any effect whatsoever, or is it 100% wasted ammo ?

AP shells have reduced blast. Dunno if there is a common factor or if each gun and AP type is handled differently.

Gruß

Joachim

I have got the feeling the cannister is treated much like a HE explosion in its effect. That is, once the cannister is shot its effect is a "footprint" in which there is a blast effect. In this area the direction from which the cannister comes doesn't matter much for the applying of that effect (other then that "footprint" is probably triangular, and the blast value tapers of from point of origin).

This means that cover is applied only in so far that less exposure lessens the damage done, but any obstacles between the point of origin and the target dont stop the bullets.

Support for this is that I not only have seen men hit out of los (from the firing unit) due to a rise, but also men behind a wall, or behind a house. The men *in* the house seem to get a cover bonus, but the men *behind* the house seem to get hit full force.

(nb>: this is with limited experience, so I could be totally wrong).

Bertram

Ditto - brewed up a truck on the other side of a church with a canister blast from a T-34.

Hadn't even spotted it and suddenly, there it was, an exploding truck.

Originally posted by Bertram:

I have got the feeling the cannister is treated much like a HE explosion in its effect. That is, once the cannister is shot its effect is a "footprint" in which there is a blast effect. In this area the direction from which the cannister comes doesn't matter much for the applying of that effect (other then that "footprint" is probably triangular, and the blast value tapers of from point of origin).

This means that cover is applied only in so far that less exposure lessens the damage done, but any obstacles between the point of origin and the target dont stop the bullets.

Support for this is that I not only have seen men hit out of los (from the firing unit) due to a rise, but also men behind a wall, or behind a house. The men *in* the house seem to get a cover bonus, but the men *behind* the house seem to get hit full force.

(nb>: this is with limited experience, so I could be totally wrong).

Bertram

Originally posted by Kobal2:

I think there is a firepower value listed for AFVs that carry AP only. Same for anti-tank rifles. IIRC, the blast value is 1.

In other words, AC rounds and bazookas are little better than a sling when dealing with grunts.

Still, seems odd that very-heavy AC rounds won't do that big a hole in the ground - the TNT charge of a 158mm or 105mm AP round must be close to that of a 50mm HE, no ?

The solid shot ones are, well, solid, no explosive. The Hollow Charge ones and the HEAT ones: probably, but the charge is directed differrent. In a HE-shel it is used to propel shards of the shell casing in all directions, and in a n AP round it is used to direct a beam of energy (in the form of molten material) straight forward.

So basically an AP round will only hurt if you happen to stand in its path, or if it hits something and you get stuck by flying pieces of whatever it has hit.

Bertram