D.I.Y. AI

SKELLEN

We are all aware of the AI niggles to some extent and we are expecting future improvements of course, but I have an idea that may have been mentioned before but that could be used to aid AI improvement. This is just an additional way of helping people improve the game on top of the future improvement to the AI btw.

What I was thinking was to have a perimeter setting for the AI prior to entering the scenario as we do now by choosing which fog of war/setup etc., but have basic things like:

1) Stay in foxholes on defence

2) HQs remain to the rear of units

3) Armour minimum (x) amount distance from each other to avoid traffic jams

4) MGs also remain to the rear of units

5) Armour remain to the rear of infantry

6) Platton HQ remain with platoon

7) Platoon keep minimum (x) amount distance from each other to avoid mass slaughter in one area

There could be others too but I think you get my drift by now, but I would like possibly to hear from BFC on this too and if this would be possible or not and if thay like/dislike this idea. This is just an example btw and I it may be worth considering if nothing else or you might have other ideas, who knows?

Yes,great suggestions. The seven you have here, are an excellent "base" to start with.( except number eight should be: use transport,tranport use roads,units get the HELL out of transport!). That may be more then one more suggestion, and I know it is, but I"m in full agreement with all your ideas. Excellent work SKELLEN

Before giving up on the current AI entirely try playing a few scenarios always on level 1 (okay, level 2 in a pinch), no pre-overflight of the terrain map, and never venture beyond your own side's forward troops. Played this way artillery falling out of LOS REALLY falls out of LOS, and that PzIV that suddenly appears on your flank is genuinely horrifying to see! I've got to admit it takes nerves of steel to play this way and I'm only able to do it occassionally myself. But it REALLY changes the dynamics of the game.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Before giving up on the current AI entirely try playing a few scenarios always on level 1 (okay, level 2 in a pinch), no pre-overflight of the terrain map, and never venture beyond your own side's forward troops. Played this way artillery falling out of LOS REALLY falls out of LOS, and that PzIV that suddenly appears on your flank is genuinely horrifying to see! I've got to admit it takes nerves of steel to play this way and I'm only able to do it occassionally myself. But it REALLY changes the dynamics of the game.

I think having a game option that sets the maximum camera level you're allowed to use would be an excellent thing to have. We could then play pbem games and both sides would be forced to play with limited views of the map.

Tall buildings? are there tall buildings in CM?

Tall pines u mean? (in witch engineers can climb as we al know)

And the AI should try to stick to cover when it runs towards the flags it so badly wants.

There should be a rule for troops to wait with the aproach untill its platoon or say HQ (if still alive) is around...more so: there should be a rule for the AI not to give up positions on other flags to go and get back the (just one) the attacker captured.

[ September 14, 2004, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: theike ]

There were traffic jams of trucks and tanks trying to get to where ever they were supposed to get to in real world WW2 and they did make perfect targets for arty and fighter bombers. Maybe in CMx2 the scenario designer will have the ability to preplot the initial movement paths of on map and reinforcement troops and vehicles. Maybe this would help reduce unecessary traffic jams. ie tanks and vehicles milling around with no planned destination. I agree, a max level option would be a good thing also ,similar to fog of war. A lot of good suggestions on this thread. poppy