Play/Pause button still backwards.......!!

Are the buttons really backwards? When the movie is playing, the play button flashes on and off. I interpret this like the display on a vcr, when a video is playing, there will be a flashing play light on the display. Now when you click again it will show that the movie is paused. Why do people make a big deal about this?

Switching the files helps but isn't a complete solution.

There was an excellent mod that fixed this for CMBB. It left the ' > ' and ' " ' icons as is, but switched the words "Play" and "Pause". This allowed for normal behavior - eg, when playing, there is a flashing ' > ' icon and the word "Pause".

The way it is setup by default is nonsensical.

The button should have written on it the action if you were to push it, not the word for the action that it is currently doing. To *pause* the game, the user should push the "Pause" button, not the "Play" button !!

It's hard to call that bad design. It's a conscious choice, and it works fine for me. It's certainly far from obvious that your preference ought to be the default. An ordinary VCR has two separate buttons, pause and play. CM only has one button which switches valence. It's a toggle. As a result it's more informational for it to tell you which is currently going. Also, on my VCR, if you have paused, you then hit pause again to restart. Which makes it match the CM interface. So while I can see why you'd prefer it to be the other way, which also makes sense, I can't go so far as to call it bad design.

Anyhow, it should be easy enough for you to mod, if you give the problem a few minutes of your time.

Originally posted by CMplayer:

It's hard to call that bad design. It's a conscious choice, and it works fine for me. It's certainly far from obvious that your preference ought to be the default. An ordinary VCR has two separate buttons, pause and play. CM only has one button which switches valence. It's a toggle. As a result it's more informational for it to tell you which is currently going. Also, on my VCR, if you have paused, you then hit pause again to restart. Which makes it match the CM interface. So while I can see why you'd prefer it to be the other way, which also makes sense, I can't go so far as to call it bad design.

Anyhow, it should be easy enough for you to mod, if you give the problem a few minutes of your time.

Yes, I may just do that! Haven't done a mod before, and maybe I can start off small. smile.gif

Re the toggle, it is correct to say it is a toggle, but the default *words* on the toggle are the wrong way round. The user should hit the button that says "Pause" to pause the game. That's the primary function of the button when the movie is playing.

Yes, I understand your point, that if the button says 'pause' you naturally read it as: push this button to issue a pause command.

Perhaps you could mod it, so that the words describe the state: "Paused" and "Playing". Then it would be very clear that it's a toggle switch.

The word on the button should describe the action that will occur after you hit the button. That is what a button is for!

If I mod it, I will mod it like the CMBB mod where the state is shown by the flashing icon, and the non-flashing word describes the action that will occur when you press it.

--------------------

UberFunBunny

[ November 21, 2003, 06:08 AM: Message edited by: UberFunBunny ]

If that's all you want, then it should be enough to switch the .bmp files, like someone said.

Switching it doesn't fix the icon ( > or " ) to show the correct state, but you are right in the sense that it is a solution of sorts.

Hey we should discuss things more often. You ain't so bad! smile.gif

--------------------

UberFunBunny

[ November 21, 2003, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: UberFunBunny ]

I just switched it to exactly what you want.

The relevant bmps are 2016 2017 2018 2019. Have a look.

Yes, the switch will work, but in CMAK the word on the Play/Pause button is flashing which is inconsistent with the other buttons. A mod (including the file switch) should be able to remove this flashing.

The additional mod I am suggesting allows for the state to be shown and for the word to be correct. For example, it will show a flashing " > " when the movie is playing and the [non-flashing] word will be "Pause". This is how the CMBB SuperSulo mod works, and is also how a VCR works.