English infantery is mean but witty....

Monty

You make a good point. The script for my fellow Brits is too too

shame making on occasion. It makes me wince from time to time.

If there is any technically minded person out there with a penchant

for sound mods then I propose the following for starters:

Enemy unit! Engage! : Enemy unit! FIRE!

Ceasefire! : STOP! STOP! STOP!

Move it Soldier : Move your Arse!

Hit the Dirt! : Take Cover!

Son of a Bitch! (when wounded) : Fecking Hell!

Let's move it out : Let's go

Hold your position : Still! Stay still!

Come on! Get a move on : Come on! Shift your blooming arses!

Enemy tank! Engage! : Tank Action! FIRE!

Originally posted by Kilroy Lurking:

British troops voices - ' Son of a Bitch '....not likely I am afraid , this is an Americanism! . Try 'Cor Blimey' or some other cockney slang.

Very much my point old chap.

I incompetently failed to explain that everything before the colon

is the current script and everything after is my proposed replacement.

One sound sample that was in the Beta but is either missing or very much more infrequent in the release is frightened Brits yelling "Run away! Run away!" straight out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. That was a hoot to hear! :D Too bad they didn't think to lift the reference to the 'holy handgrenade' from the movie as well (perhaps a project for an industrious sound modder foolishly unafraid of getting his arse sued for copywrite infringement?)

The original script did not have any slang or bad language in it. The English actors that were used decided to "ad-lib" that stuff themseleves.

I do think I retained a few of the "Cor' Blimey" phrases from CMBO though, at least I had meant to.

As to the S.O.B. phrase it might have started in the US but these things have a way of spreading pretty quick. Besides, US troops were in England during WWI so it's possible that phrase could have gotten a foothold in common vernacular by WWII.

All I know is my grandfather was a combat engineer in WWI and he had a mouth on him that would have made the devil blush! Such colorful slang takes on a life of its on I have found. ;)

Of course, editing or replacing any sound sample is pretty easy to do so you can always make any changes you wish.

Madmatt

I would've thought S.O.B. to be a natural English curse! By that I mean lands that have hereditary monarchies often take special pleasure in casting aspursions on a fellow's birthright. There are a couple choice 'American' curses, though, I can think of that would fall flat on pre-1950s British ears. I heard one scholar complain about historical inaccuracy when one of these curses popped-up in the middle of the movie 'Titanic'. "That's just not something someone would think to say to an Englishman back then!"

Originally posted by Madmatt:

The original script did not have any slang or bad language in it. - snip -

As to the S.O.B. phrase it might have started in the US but these things have a way of spreading pretty quick. Besides, US troops were in England during WWI so it's possible that phrase could have gotten a foothold in common vernacular by WWII.

All I know is my grandfather was a combat engineer in WWI and he had a mouth on him that would have made the devil blush! Such colorful slang takes on a life of its on I have found. ;)

Of course, editing or replacing any sound sample is pretty easy to do so you can always make any changes you wish.

Madmatt

Troops everywhere have a potty-mouth I fear.

If I may quote verbatim from William Boyd's Introduction to Frederic Manning's 'Her Privates We' (Serpent's Tail Press 1999)

Warning severe filth ahead:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

'Two brief quotations will serve as the best introduction to this unique and extraordinary novel ... A corporal is dressing down the men in his section.

"'You shut your blasted mouth see!' said the exasperated Corporal Hamley, stooping as he entered the tent, the lift of his head, with chin thrust forward as he stooped, giving him a more desperately aggressive appearance. 'An' you let me 'ear you talkin' on parade again with an officer present and you'll be on the bloody mat quick. See? You miserable beggar, you! A bloody cow like you's sufficient to demoralize a whole muckin' Army Corps. Got it? Get those buzzers out, and do some bloody work for a change.'"

Nothing too unusal here: standard NCO aggression ... but now here is the same passage as it was originally written and as it was originally meant to be read.

"'You shut your blasted mouth, see!' said the exasperated Corporal Hamley, stooping as he entered the tent, the lift of his head, with his chin thrust forward as he stooped, giving him a more desperately aggressive appearance, ' 'An' you let me 'ear you talkin' on parade again with an officer present and you'll be on the bloody mat, quick. See? You miserable bugger you! A bloody c*nt like you's sufficient to demoralise a whole f*ckin' Army Corps. Got it? Get those buzzers out, and do some bloody work, for a change.'"

It is remarkable the change wrought by the good old Anglo-Saxon demotic of 'bugger' 'c*nt' and 'f*ckin''. What was familiar, stereotypical, almost parodic, becomes real - the whole situation charged and violent.'

End of quote. Phew. Gentle reader I did * where my courage failed. It is a family game after all.

I also note from the Oxford English Dictionary that S.O.B. is indeed old english. The first occurrence of it was in 1330 AD and it also appears in Shakespeare's King Lear.

I was confusing it I think with 'Mutha-F**ka' which greatly impressed me in Michael Herr's 'Despatches' when I first read it as a 13 year old. Now M.F. is certainly one of the many vibrant gifts of expression that American has made to wider English.

CMAK's a great game. It would be even more immersive with some proper grown up swearing and correct terminology for the Brits.

Nah, proper swearing would be like lots of blood: rather unnecessary.

Actually, I was looking foward to having language that I could understand again, but now that we have it, I find it rather repetetive and dull. How many times can you hear someone yell "Enemy unit, engage" before its too many? (Who ever says "unit" on the battlefield, anyway?)

The foreign languages are much nicer because you can imagine them saying whatever seems appropriate at the time, and for some reason phrases you can't understand stick in your mind and become repetitive much less than ones you can...

GaJ

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

Actually, I was looking foward to having language that I could understand again, but now that we have it, I find it rather repetetive and dull. How many times can you hear someone yell "Enemy unit, engage" before its too many? (Who ever says "unit" on the battlefield, anyway?)

It occured to me that this is perhaps an ignorant comment from someone who only has the demo ( :( ) ... I guess there's much more variety of utterances in the real thing?

In the full game there are 43 seperate catagories of sound samples per nation. Each catagory covers a specific event or reaction from the unit and has anywhere between about 4-10 different sayings.

For example, in the full version there are 309 unique British voice samples and 424 German voice samples.

Even so, you more you play the game, the more you will hear certain phrases repeated. Thats simply the nature of static recorded dialouge in any game. I did what I could to keep the sayings as varied as I could but limitations of time code and physical space on the CD all took precedence.

Madmatt