Zero exposure on a road ???

You usually see this when targeting with a gun. It makes perfect sense I think: the gun can see the unit but has no LOS to the ground on which they are standing. So, while it can see them, it has no way to actually shoot directly at them. I've never seen it happen while targeting with squads/mgs etc. This has been around since CMBB, I've never seen it with CMBO though

Originally posted by Haohmaru:

You usually see this when targeting with a gun. It makes perfect sense I think: the gun can see the unit but has no LOS to the ground on which they are standing. So, while it can see them, it has no way to actually shoot directly at them. I've never seen it happen while targeting with squads/mgs etc. This has been around since CMBB, I've never seen it with CMBO though

Infantry does not get an "exposure" report when targeting anything. IIRC, its only guns, MG's and tanks which get the exposure reading when targeting an enemy unit.

Originally posted by V- Die Hand die Verletzt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Haohmaru:

Infantry does not get an "exposure" report when targeting anything. IIRC, its only guns, MG's and tanks which get the exposure reading when targeting an enemy unit. </font>

What troubles me is that the picture of the scene shows a pretty clear and still quite light blue targeting line to the target so I wouldn't have thought it was a case of a very marginal ability to spot the target from the firers POV. It does seem pretty weird to say the least. If that targeting line was a very dark and marginal colour then I could rationalise the 0% exposure but not the way it's portrayed in this screenshot.

Regards

Jim R.

The target line came from a tank. It most definitely could see the squad because it had already targeted it by itself. If you look carefully you can see the end of the red line in the shot.

Exposure has nothing to do with the type of unit doing the targeting, AFAIK. It is determined only by the terrain type a unit is sitting / moving in and on a road should be a darn sight higher than 0%. 0% means this unit is impervious to incoming fire, whether from the unit from which I'm checking LOS here or anything else that chooses to fire at it. I find this rather disturbing as I've always thought that infantry crossing a road is an excellent target to open up on.

I've seen it occasionally. It is apparently a crest line effect.

When the target is lower than some of the intervening ground, you will sometimes get a grazing LOS. There are no obstructions, in the sense of trees brush etc in the way, so the LOS line can be bright blue. But the men targeted are below the level of an actual straight-line from shooter to target.

The game treats this somewhat like a wall, which also gives 0% exposure to troops heads-down behind it. If they are close enough to the crest they will be visible and exposed. A little farther back, and you can see they are there - they have height - but can't actually hit them - the ground level they are on is below the straight-line LOS.

Mortars can still hurt them. Direct fire shells will either hit the ground in the way in front (short), or sail clear over them (long). The % exposure number warns you not to waste your shots on them from that position, in effect. If you hunt forward a bit, farther up a slope the shooter is on, you can often get a normal exposure number.