Why not WW I?

I'd love a decent to find a decent PC game covering WWI. A CM mod would fit the bill nicely.

Think of all the cheap artillery you'd get to buy!

But you'd have to really up the Tac-AI to account for the fact that once the battle started communicating back and forth between the advancing troops and the rear HQs became next to impossible as well as making changes to the complex artillery firing plans (creeping barrages for example).

So I guess what I am saying is you'd need to have one 30 to 60 minute planning stage and then watch the movie to see what happens.

Actually some of the actions in WWI could be of some interest. Mons, Rommels actions against the Italians in the Alps, many small actions in the Balkans and Palestine. Kut might be interesting too.

The heavy seige portion of WWI wouldn't be that great but some of the areas with more mobility might be of interest.

I could see a module in the new game for the pre-war years (WWII) that would include Grand Chaco, WWI, Russian Civil war and the Spanish Civil war.

How can we live without a recreation of the FIRST tank to tank fight at Villers Bretonneux on 24 April 1918!

Originally posted by Hans:

How can we live without a recreation of the FIRST tank to tank fight at Villers Bretonneux on 24 April 1918!

From your tone and the precise place and date you threw in, I take it you are already working on such scenario for CMAK or have at least considered it...

I read you like an open book! tongue.gif

Sarcasm aside. I got a hunch, a really really good hunch.................that the new CMX2 will be highly moddable. Then all kinds of different conflicts could be modded. At least thats what im hoping for anyway. It would be a great nod to the CM community. But then again that could be translated into less money making products for BTS.

Sarcasm, come on in. At least then i could and would mod the ongoing battles between my cats and dogs vs. the mice in the tall weeds in my field. A truly historic battle. :D

pretty good idea except it has 2 flaws. firts : boring siege like fighting , second : armor only after 1916. and i personally think that cmx2 should happen in vietnam or modern times. the only redeeming quality of a ww1 game would be mustard gas. couldn't resist the temptation to gass out french trenches and then send my gas masked strom troopers to finish the job hehe.

Sergei, yes you guess it. I have all the details, however it just doesn't work. There just isn't a multiple turreted tank that is remotely like the Brit and German opponents for that time.

You can get something close to a British 'female' tank but not for the male version As for the Germans nothing matches the 33 ton, 18 man crewed A7V armed with a Russian 57mm Sokol gun and six Maxims!

Patience patience

The CM concept is probably workable in all modern wars - with some limitations on WWI. Vietnam and modern, you bet.

I do look forward to conducting an airmobile assault into the A Shau valley at some point and firing a TOW at a T-64 somewhere near my old GDP location near Fulda....

Originally posted by yacinator:

strom troopers

Yes, the infamous Stromtruppen, always dashing so bravely to sabotage the electric current in enemy power lines... if only that would have been combined with the indecency of WW2's Liebstandard, we would all be writing in fluent German in this board.

And just imagine if Britain and USA had won, we might even be writing in fluent English!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by yacinator:

strom troopers

Yes, the infamous Stromtruppen, always dashing so bravely to sabotage the electric current in enemy power lines... if only that would have been combined with the indecency of WW2's Liebstandard, we would all be writing in fluent German in this board.

And just imagine if Britain and USA had won, we might even be writing in fluent English!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: </font>

Originally posted by Dandelion:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by yacinator:

strom troopers

And just imagine if Britain and USA had won, we might even be writing in fluent English!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: </font>

Actually, with the right selection of infantry units, you can get reasonably close to WWI in CMBB right now. Throw in a few house rules and you're good to go. A series of scenarios base on some of the actions in "Infantry Attacks" would be kinda fun.

Probably not worth doing a whole new game just for that though.