Kill Rings

I'm tinkering with a kill rings mod for the cannon barrels of AFV's and ATG's. I have several questions regarding the usage of such rings:

1) How commonly used were they? Were they used mostly by the Germans?

2) What was the usual practice for keeping a running score - were the rings transferred with the tank or gun commander, or with the whole crew, or was it a vehicle-specific issue?

3) Was it the usual practice to use a thick bar to denote 10 kills, and thin bars to denote individual kills? Were any other conventions commonly used?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Kobal2:

I seem to remember that in the navy and air forces, kill marks belong to the ship/plane, not to the crew/pilot. I assume it's the same with tanks/guns.

I guess that's represented in the game as well, where the kills of a KO'd gun or tank 'belong' to the gun, not the crew.

I seem to remember that in the navy and air forces, kill marks belong to the ship/plane, not to the crew/pilot. I assume it's the same with tanks/guns.

The only airforce that I know of that the kill marks went with the plane was the IJA/IJN. All the rest to the best of my knowledge had their pilots put the new marks on any new plane. Sometimes an ace pilot would let a less experienced pilot fly his aircraft but that is different.

I think that individual records went with the men who made them.

Panther Commander

@Panther Commander : hmmm yes, now that you mention it... But did they paint over the kill marks on the old plane, in the odd case that it's still serviceable and given to another crew ?

I don't think you get a new one if the old one still works... :D

Panther Commander

Depends, your squadron might be refitted with new models for example.

Or *you* might get transferred to another unit for one reason or the other (like, being sent to the East Front for having made derogatory comments about your Obersturmvolksbahnpanzerführer-Leutnant or sumtink :D )

Although this is off the topic, it's possible that pilots left perfectly good planes to go fly other makes / models. When the all-Me 262 Jagdverband 44 ("Squadron of Champions") was formed in early 1945, several pilots left their squadrons and went AWOL in order to join JV 44. Considering the squadron was made up of experten, these pilots probably left behind perfectly good prop-driven fighter planes.

Originally posted by GoofyStance:

Wittman's gunner, Bobby Woll, earned the Knight's Cross for his skill with an 88. So there was some official recognition of just who really earned the rings ;)

Of course, without the TC, the tank may never have been in the right position at the right time to make the shot- or even alive to take the shot.

Wittmann may not have been the gunner but if it wasn't for him half the kills would not have been made-in a tank every member contributes-the gunner may take the final aim and fire but without the commander to spot targets, prioratise, order to good locations and coordinate both the men in the tank and with other units you would be dead very quickly.